How do you incorporate reversals?

peanutsrevil

I started reading with reversals but found it to be to confusing to a new reader (me). I have since read without reversals. I shuffle the deck and cut like playing cards. How do you shuffle and cut and still incorporate reversed cards?

Maygreen

I also need sugestion about this. Untill now I also never read reversals. I'm kinda afraid to read them ^^;;. Even without reversal sometimes I still have trouble to read it and untill now I'm not really able to memorize them all.

One of my friend complained to have reversals, but I rather not to do it since I didn't want to suddenly blank and can't read it at all... ^^;;

Alta

If I understand the question correctly, you just want the mechanics of getting reversed cards into the deck?

1. When you split the deck for each shuffle, turn one half of the deck the other way and shuffle them together that way. You will have roughly 50% of the cards reversed that way.

2. (my preferred way) When you are finished shuffling, all upright, pull out a relatively small section of the deck from somewhere in the middle. Reverse that and shuffle it in and then shuffle the whole deck (several times if you like). When finished the reading go through and upright the the reversed cards so you won't have the same cards reversed all the time.

tarobones

Fear Not

Don't be afraid of reversals. YOu don't have to memorize extra sets of meanings either. Here is a link to a wonderful thread that describes a simple, yet deep, method for reversals. http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=47484
BB, Michael

peanutsrevil

Reversals

Marion said:
If I understand the question correctly, you just want the mechanics of getting reversed cards into the deck?

Yes, just the mechanics. I understand the concept of reversals, It's just that I am a little obssessive - compulsive when it comes to shuffling in the deck. I believe in the "Inner guide" concept of the Tarot. I like a thorough shuffle and I want all the cards to be arranged unconsiously by my inner guide. I'm a little concerned that simply selecting a section of the deck and shuffling it in reversed is a little too conscious. Just tell me that I'm over thinking things.

Demon Goddess

peanutsrevil said:
Yes, just the mechanics. I understand the concept of reversals, It's just that I am a little obssessive - compulsive when it comes to shuffling in the deck. I believe in the "Inner guide" concept of the Tarot. I like a thorough shuffle and I want all the cards to be arranged unconsiously by my inner guide. I'm a little concerned that simply selecting a section of the deck and shuffling it in reversed is a little too conscious. Just tell me that I'm over thinking things.

Ok, you're overthinking things. ;)

I've always believed that when it's time to cut, you just do, there's no right or wrong.

If it doesn't feel comfortable, don't do it. If it does, then go for it.

peanutsrevil

Ok,
Over analysis has always been a problem for me. I'll try the suggestion and try not to over think. After all we're not playing chess.

Jewel

In terms of the mechanics I use two different methods depending on what strikes my fancy that day. One is the same as Marion's first suggestion. The second, which I have begun to use much more lately, is that I shuffle the deck various times, then I fan the cards, then I randomly select a number of cards (as many as feels right to me) reverse them, re-enter them into the fan, then reshuffle the cards various times, cut the deck and do my spread.

Kaylee Marie

I usually shuffle in the first way that Marion suggested to get reversals. It feels awkward at first to add that extra step while shuffling, but you get used to it.

Another fun way is the small child shuffle -- put the cards face down on the table and mix them all up as you spread them around. Then gather and cut.

Demon Goddess

lol at the small child shuffle. And me over here trying to teach my kids not to shuffle cards like that.

As I continue to read this thread, I realize that I have never actually deliberately reversed any cards. They just come out that way...

I can't be the only one who reads reversals who doesn't turn cards, can I???