How do you keep a notebook?

euripides

I'm just re-posting the relevant part of my post on keeping a journal :

I think its in the 06 Llewellen Tarot Reader Almanac that I have somewhere, though I might have read it online (sorry, I can't remember) - about someone tarot journalling - this student who showed the teacher his work, and it made a great impace on her - he'd drawn the card spread in the journal, but without borders, and let the images blend into one another. Fascinating idea I thought. As an artist, I should give it a go.

Mostly at the moment I draw rectangles for the cards and jot down the names and some key points. I also make notes from things I'm reading or scribble down ideas. Its all very rough - its recording information, not art. I'd love it to be more artistic.

I try to record everything, because the one time I don't, I think, a week later, 'didn't I draw some cards about this....?'

I've seen it suggested to draw a card a day and study that one card. If you want to learn a new deck fast, you might want to work through each suit (or number? 4s, 5s..., kings, queens?) - methodically, four a day, two to a page or something. Make notes about your own responses to the image, then look it up in the little white book, and check the net - maybe Google it. There's some sites with really extensive notes on cards. I also like tarot.com's 'browse decks' facility to compare cards and decks. -

http://www.tarot.com/about-tarot/decks/browsedecks.php

and adding a few thoughts:

this last I mentioned, as sometimes when I'm struggling to understand a card, or even if I just want to broaden my undersanding, it helps to look at different versions. So that is something that could go in your journal too.

Some people use the front of the journal in a 'reading diary' style and keep notes in the back. I guess you have to figure out what you want to achieve - if you're aimless, maybe it is harder to use the journal consistently.

What about using one that is divided into sections, have a section each for trumps and suits, so that you can easily flick through to it. (I have my Tarot reference marked with those removable page tabs)

You could make some notes about the RWS or deck that you are familiar with for that card, then add Sacred Circle - specific notes, such as following up on specific symbolism that you aren't sure about.

If you find something unusual in a card (such as a Pagan symbol) , look to see if there is something 'connected' - the same, or opposite - in other cards.