How Do You Pronounce 'Tarot' When Talking?

How Do You Pronounce 'Tarot'?

• ta - ROW or

Votes: 32 27.8%
  • TAR - oh

Votes: 32 27.8%
  • TUR - oh

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • te - ROW

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • TEAR - oh

Votes: 40 34.8%
  • te - ROTT

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • TEAR - it

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • turah

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Barleywine

Someone should ask Henry Higgins. "You say "TARE-oh -ta, I say Ta-ROT-a."

Barleywine

ctrymaus just posted this very helpful link in the Doreen Virtue thread, in reply to the pronunciation discussion that happened in it.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tarot

No mention of "tear-oh" (rhymes with barrow).

Yes, I found that one in my search. I don't trust written deconstructions of pronunciation since regionalisms are somewhat invisible, so I went and found a spoken-word pronunciation that represents the apparently common American usage. It's certainly how I've been saying it for four decades, so I'm not likely to change now :)

nord_drache

I guess this Canuck from Ontario must be one of the odd ones . . .

te-ROW

:D

Jim

gregory

Take out your ideas about what the pronunciation is.

NO English or Canadian is going to be OK with TAIRoh rhyming with sparrow.

It DOESN'T.

And TOUR-oh as in burro - that doesn't work for me either. I'd have said burro as boo-ro (as in book).

This doesn't work unless you run with IPA, actually. Because the words you are using as examples are - pronounced differently too... :D

Barleywine

The etymology of the word shows it to be of Middle French origin and derived from the Italian word tarocchi (which itself has no known origin or etymology). So . . . how would a Middle Frenchman pronounce "tarot?" Seems like that would be the most authentic way.

firecatpickles

I think your phonetics are completely understandable, as one would naturally need to read them in context of te-ROW pronunciations.

My second graders could decipher them....

prudence

hmm, well I chose ta-row thinking row as in "...your boat gently down the stream...." not as in two English people having a fight. ;)

RavenLuna

I voted ta ROW, but it's more like TA row. I never knew some people pronounce sparrow to rhyme with Pharaoh!

gregory

I think your phonetics are completely understandable, as one would naturally need to read them in context of te-ROW pronunciations.

My second graders could decipher them....
Of course they could. Your second graders talk American - like TB. MY grandchildren could too - and the sounds they would read them as would be COMPLETELY different.