How do YOU pronounce Thoth?

Wooden Nickel

The clerks in the occult bookshops round here all say 'toθ' (rhymes with 'froth' or 'moth'), but ever since the '70's King Tut craze I've been pronouncing the ibis-headed gent's name "θoθ."

gregory

I am going to start calling it Froff....

Stark Raven

I got a shocker yesterday. I asked my new Egyptian doctor to say Thoth (she is happy to discuss Egyptian history); she says it is not an Egyptian word, it has been Anglicized... which of course we know... it came out as toss.

She knew nothing of a deity with an Ibis head to clarify. Of course I understand her being Egyptian doesn't make her an expert, I found it interesting is all.

I suppose I am also alluding to the fact that an Egyptian cannot say Thoth pronounced phonetically as written.

Aeon418

Toss! Anyone with an understanding of English slang will instantly appreciate that one. :laugh:

Does this mean that Thoth users as a whole are now collectively known as tossers? :laugh:

Stark Raven

Toss! Anyone with an understanding of English slang will instantly appreciate that one. :laugh:

Does this mean that Thoth users as a whole are now collectively known as tossers? :laugh:

pfffffff... hope not :)

ravenest

An Egyptian who ... 'knew nothing of a deity with an Ibis head' :bugeyed:

I learnt about that one in junior high school in Australia ???

Stark Raven

An Egyptian who ... 'knew nothing of a deity with an Ibis head' :bugeyed:

I learnt about that one in junior high school in Australia ???

Yeah, I found that peculiar. But there appeared to be some confusion regarding the names we call these figures in English, and that led me to think that perhaps she didn't know what an ibis was, or even that it is a bird... you know?

Her English is unbelievably good, but she had to learn it to go to medical school, it wasn't something she grew up with, so I can see she might not know and have been embarrassed to ask.

Zephyros

Um... unless your doctor is Coptic, in which case a certain connection with the ancient religions could be theorized... you do know that modern Egyptians are Arabs, right? They speak Arabic, it is perfectly appropriate for her not to know what an ibis is, and her pronunciation of Thoth wouldn't be applicable anyway...

Freddie

Crowley was sensitive about his name being mispronounced as Crawley.

Well said Richard. I have been corrected by people here in England when I called him 'Crow (as in the bird) ley' and told it was Crawley. I didn't say anything to them, but I felt like I was saying it correctly.

Freddie

ravenest

I concur ;)

besides ...the man obviously has taken on the magical essence (and job) of the crow.