How Do You Respond to Skeptics and Non-Believers?

Whitestar

I think it's too bad when tarot gets made fun of in the media...it's things like that that perpetuate these kinds of negative attitudes.

On the episode of Gilmore Girls this week there was a winter carnival, and at this carnival was a tarot booth that was made fun of several times. In fact the sentence "everyone knows tarot isn't real" was repeated at least 3 times!

Crystelle

I have to say though that I rather like it when they assert that Tarot isn't real -- because most of the time, they portray it as a teller of the future, which in my humble opinion it is not. When people say "Tarot can't tell the future" because that's the only definition of Tarot that they have, I agree "You're right, it can't" they look at me surprised. "Well then what do you do with it?" and then a conversation has started and an opportunity to teach...

When the villagers throw rotten fruit, collect the seeds and plant a garden!
Crystelle

Anathematically

Honestly, though, I think a lot of mis-perception of tarot comes from actual community members, people who practice reading cards.

What I'm talking about right now are all the people who charge for tarot readings, offering a service like someone offering to mow your lawn. That, in my opinion, is wrong. It'd be like a member of another religion (an eclesiastic or even just a regular practitioner) offering to pray for you... but for $35.95 USD.

It really is rather disgusting.

Crystelle

Well I'm not sure if I read that right Anathematically...but I'd point out

that bartering a talent is as old as civilization. As always, you hope that those engaging in such "selling" are reputable but the saying "Buyer beware" came from somewhere. I think that readers that are good enough to charge should, they are performing a service just as someone that mows a lawn. There is no shame in that, or evil. Tithes are paid in many religions; they allow the practioners (or whomever runs the place of worship) to focus on the religion and not simply "fighting fires" to remain in existence.
As long as readers aren't misleading about their capabilities, I feel that they are quite justified in charging (a reasonable amount).

Crystelle

Rosanne

Some twenty years ago I made it my endeavour to have the study and use of Tarot considered 'normal'. That meant a change in me was required. I have strived to keep my voice commonplace and my language neutral when discussing Tarot. I neither hide my interest nor push it in peoples faces. In my home I keep Tarot in the open along with the myriad of books I read and interests I have. When I was reading for others I dressed in a usual way and consistently ignored jibes and fear in others and stressed the personal tool aspect of Tarot. I have had problems with my large extended religious family, but I would have had that regardless of what 'other' spiritual practice I may have adopted. I sternly gave myself talk about not making the tarot mystical to others until I believe myself it is like when someone asks directions- be factual, real, direct and accepting( no superority). They want to know- so tell them. And Smile! Welcome to the Forum- here you can be as mystical as you like and wacky if the thought takes you- here we mostly do not have to be anything but 'normal' in our beliefs. ~Rosanne
oops I forgot to add 'banish all thoughts about yourself that you are a little kooky and weird for believing and being serious about Tarot!!!!'

Anathematically

Crystelle said:
that bartering a talent is as old as civilization. As always, you hope that those engaging in such "selling" are reputable but the saying "Buyer beware" came from somewhere. I think that readers that are good enough to charge should, they are performing a service just as someone that mows a lawn. There is no shame in that, or evil. Tithes are paid in many religions; they allow the practioners (or whomever runs the place of worship) to focus on the religion and not simply "fighting fires" to remain in existence.
As long as readers aren't misleading about their capabilities, I feel that they are quite justified in charging (a reasonable amount).

Crystelle
I think my point is that my general response to tarot - even when I'm just sitting around in the lounge at school, and my friends are all around - tends to be "Oh, kekeke, Miss Cleo."

So I think my point was that it's a shame that things like tarot - divination in general - the only exposure that these things have to the mass media comes, in the most part, from info-mercials by Miss Cleo professing a "psychic reading," or in those tiny one bedroom houses on the sides of highways (at least here in the outter suburbs of Chicago) that are plastered with signs saying "Psychic Counsel!" and "Tarot Cards!"

Honestly, it's hard for anyone to take those things seriously, in my opinion.

tarotbear

No matter how liberal the hipsters and artists are, simply mention the word 'occult' and suddenly they aren't so liberal or hip anymore. :bugeyed: Get used to it. Get used to it now before it hinders your Tarot development.

Hi! Welcome to the forum! You will be glad to be here. Be sure to read a lot of the threads - even the silly ones are very informative.

Prepare for the skeptics to ply you with stupid come-backs by learning to ignore them. Of course, nothing blows a skeptic out the door like doing a reading that is so right-on that even they can't explain how you know what you said to them. It can and does happen. If you are thin-skinned - you won't make it far as a reader, at least not in public anyway. And it is not worth your time to come up with snappy comebacks to theirs. Just ignore them and smile - it drives them batty! :smoker:

Chronata

Welcome to the most wonderful tarot spot on the web, Pleroma!

I first wanted to say that you should read this thread carefully and take notes...every single post is filled with incredible wisdom.

My take on it...is that you shouldn't take it personally...other people may be unconfortable with someone who is open about their spiritual practices. And that's OK. Don't hide your beliefs. Use the opportunity to teach someone your knowledge and your truth.
Chances are, the more open, and laid back you are about tarot reading, and your beliefs, the more you will attract like minded souls.

And you may find that some people who appear sceptic and dismissive...or make fun of it, or just seem freaked...

...Will come to you later, without their peers, to find out more about it themselves. Some people want to know more...are curious about spirituality or metaphysical studies... but have to work up to, and get past their own stigmas.

(Blue Fury...I really love the phrase "long range Prophet of Doom"...and since I am already confused with them, I may just have to put this on my business card! :))

MikeTheAltarboy

My experience and advice are not much different than the others here. :) I have never had much opposition shown to my interest in tarot, except from a couple people. Those were mild, and one went from "How do you believe in tarot if you're a Christian?" to "You'll have to teach me more about this." ;-) (I'm a 27yo male in a small town, and started tarot in college)

Saint Paul said "I have become all things to all people, in order that, one way or another, I may rescue some of them. But I do it all for the sake of the gospel, so that I may share its blessings with others."
I adopt much the same attitude with tarot!

When I'm with my pagany friends, and they want readings, we light incense, do the LBRP, and then do the reading.
When I'm with coworkers who are interested, I ham it up a bit, put my turban on, call myself Madam Zelda, then say, "I'm not psychic, you know. I'll tell you what the cards seem to mean to me. Feel free to interject if what I say seems to be refering to something else."
With complete skeptics, I say, "They're just cardboard pictures. It's like a Rorschach test. It's just a means to bring to the conscious mind what you already know.", and when "reading" for them, it's more me asking questions to provoke them to see their own answers in the cards.

For myself, that last approach is my own *concious attitude.* I *don't* think I have much psychic ability. However, when reading for myself, I go for the more "pagany" approach, since just as the cards can show us what's inside, what we *arange* outside can *affect* our inside. When I make it a holy endeavor, it *is* holy; when I make it light-hearted, it's that. :)

Welcome to the board!

Abrac

pleroma said:
So i wonder, how can i share the tarot with people in a way that will open their minds to the tarot instead of seeing me as kooky?
No one can open another's mind; but you can motivate others in such a way that they will willingly open their mind. Just be yourself. Nothing makes a person look kookier than trying to be something they're not. You don't have to explain anything. Just tell them you're really into Tarot and leave it at that. If they ask why, then you can explain, briefly. Mention it gives you insight into the future. Or maybe you can explain to them how Tarot has been around for centuries, long before "new age" was even thought of. If they aren't receptive, just drop it. The more cynical a person is, the less you should try and convince them. Arguing gets you nowhere; and it only reinforces the other person's cynicism. Stay positive and some will eventually come around to seeing things your way; or maybe they won't. Either way, the main thing is to just do what makes you happy.

-fof