How do you shuffle?

Eternus Discipulus

Like all of us, I have used various methods over the years. Currently, I riffle six times, cut with left hand into three piles, and repeat this cycle once more = 12 riffles and two cuts into three piles.

In case anyone cares, the math dictates a minimum of ten riffles to randomize a 78 card deck.

Annabelle

After all these years, I honestly have no specific or consistent shuffling method.

Most often, I gently riffle shuffle, cut the deck, put it back together, and pull cards from the top.

But sometimes I pull randomly from the deck. And with decks that I don't feel comfortable riffling, I'll do a more gentle back and forth shuffle, or mix the cards around on a table or some similar thing.

Sometimes I do the "cutting into 3 piles with my left hand" thing, but not always.

I go with how I feel in the moment.

TarotTreat

I used to just shuffle and take the cards from the top and then shuffle again, but then I actually ended up pulling the exact same reading twice! Naturally, I decided my method was not nearly thorough enough.
Now I usually shuffle the deck three times while I think of my question or spread and then cut it into three piles. I choose the one that calls to me and pull directly from that one.
I also put cards from a reading back in at different positions to prevent the same card incident from repeating itself.

Padma

I have a standard method that I learned when first learning to do cards from books etc but it seems to work for me.

I shuffle until I feel the question is "in" the deck (and advise my sitters to do the same) and then I cut the deck (or get them to cut it) to the left, in three piles, with their left hand; then reassemble the deck however they wish. How they put it back together tends to tell me if the question is based in something from the past, the present, or they want to (or I want to!) know about the future.

I always look at the card on the bottom of the deck too, as it does tend to represent (for me) an important part of what they are asking about.

I think you need to just develop your own shuffling style. It's a personal thing - whatever works for you! :love:

Morwenna

I just shuffle, mostly. Sometimes I riffle at random points during the shuffling.

When reading for others, I have them shuffle, any way they like. But afterward, I give them a good mixing, riffling and shuffling several times.

rubyofjoy

so interesting to read the different ways people do this. If I have time, I like to start by dealing the cards in two rows of 3, ending up with 6 piles of cards, going through this 3 times. It centers me. I focus on the intention of the reading while doing this. I hate the idea of riff shuffling, i lack dexterity to do it easily. So after I have the deck shuffled, I then put all the cards together, and begin pulling cards from the bottom, placing them on top. I wait for my hands to pick one card, continuing this way, until i have all the cards I need. I often do not use spreads. so this way as I lay down each card, I know when to stop. This works quite well for me. I have tried other ways. and still get good results. but this way is the way I do it most of the time. I lean towards the school that it is good to find way that works you and then stick with it. as a centering thing. letting your inner self know you are doing a reading now. a way of preparing the space and all parties, involved. The cards are not just cardboard to me. and doing a reading is sacred to me.

Sassyinkpen

I give the deck a sharp knock to loosen up any old energy, and then riffle shuffle once to kind of blow it away. Then I overhand shuffle while I think on what I want out of the reading and focus on the question.

To draw cards, I just fan through the deck until it feels right and pull that card, then repeat that for as many cards as I need.