How do you turn your cards?

wanda1224

Here's a question I never heard asked before. When doing a reading, how do you deal from the deck? Do you lift the card toward you before putting it down or toward the querent? Or do you place the card sideways going left or right? The reason why I ask is that it makes a difference w/ reversals. Any feedback on this?

Carla

I turn the cards to face me. They are upside down to the querent, but most people don't seem to mind this. I have also sat at the corner of the table with a querent on the other side of the corner, and laid them out sort of diagonally, as you would when reading from the same piece of paper. Just depends on where the chairs are.

JCSeawright

i think people do them different

i turn them so they are facing me since i am the one reading them and when the deck is laid down after being shuffeled if i dont know what way the majority are faced i check the first 5 or so cards so that i make sure they are not all reversed when i lay them down lol since most people do not bend and over lay my cards (i really really hate that)

Debra

I flip them over from the side. If the card at the top of the stack is upright, it will be upright when I turn it over side to side.

To me, flipping from bottom to top--basically, turning the card upside down from how it was in the pack--makes no sense. When I see people do it, I tend to think they don't know what they're doing. If I see a reader doing that at a mind/body/spirit fair, for example, I'll choose someone else to get a reading from.

Minotauro

to the side too.

it just seems like the obvious way they should be turned , but I also have problems figuring out wich way is up when someone else suffles them , lol , I think I migh start fanning the cards and letting them choose.

Tarot Fairy

I turn them at the top. I have tried to flip them sideways but can't acquire meself to do that always. My opinion is that most important thing is that you always do the same thing, the cards will come as they meant anyway..

Regarding reading for a querent in real I can't answer; I have never read in real life for someone!

NikkiB

I always have the querant sitting next to me so I turn the cards up to face us both, that way we can both see clearly and talk about the cards comfortably.

nisaba

Here's a question I never heard asked before. When doing a reading, how do you deal from the deck? Do you lift the card toward you before putting it down or toward the querent? Or do you place the card sideways going left or right? The reason why I ask is that it makes a difference w/ reversals. Any feedback on this?

I have the cards upright to *me*, not the client. Science has shown that you can't recognise even beloved or very famous faces upside-down, and experience has taught me that I personally can't recognise Tarot cards upside-down.

I stopped doing reversals when I learnt to be able to sense whether a card is in its negative phase or not, and I never looked back. For me, reversals were about learning Tarot.

starrystarrynight

I'm with Debra and Minotauro in flipping to the side.

Laura Borealis

To the side, like turning a page. But I wonder... does it matter?