How does one study the Book of Law?

poopsie

I need help in this area. I have read the forum on the subject of the Book of Law. My problem is that although I want to study and understand this document further, I don't know where to start. I don't understand the one-liners and I don't know also where to start or how to research on this. I just need suggestions on approaches to study and understand this sacred text.

I welcome any advice and references. Thanks

By the way, moderators, please feel free to shift this in case I put it In The wrong cluster. Thanks again.

Barleywine

I need help in this area. I have read the forum on the subject of the Book of Law. My problem is that although I want to study and understand this document further, I don't know where to start. I don't understand the one-liners and I don't know also where to start or how to research on this. I just need suggestions on approaches to study and understand this sacred text.

I don't so much study it as absorb it in the same way I absorb a little more of the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam every time I re-read it. I've always seen the keynote message of the Book of the Law to be about the true nature of the Will: "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law;" "Love is the law, love under will;" "There is no law beyond Do what thou wilt;" ". . . thou hast no right but to do thy will;" and perhaps the most important one of all, "For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect." The last one debunks the claims of the Crowley-haters who think he's merely glorifying hedonism and self-indulgence. The other main concept is "Every man and woman is a star." None of these yield to a straight-forward interpretation, and will reward deep, thoughtful contemplation. Beyond those key points, a significant portion of the ecstatic prose-poetry, while certainly inspiring, seems like window-dressing to me (but others will certainly have their own favorite passages). Although I don't have it, I imagine Crowley's commentary in The Law Is For All would be useful as a guide. Getting your hands on a copy of The Holy Books of Thelema would also be worthwhile.

Aeon418

I don't so much study it as absorb it in the same way I absorb a little more of the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam every time I re-read it.
I agree with absorb it. One useful approach may be to read the book, a chapter, or a few verses at a time but without focusing on the text in an intellectual way. Instead pay attention to your feelings as you read. You may find that even though you are struggling with the text on an intellectual level you are still picking things up emotionaly. Explore these feelings and maybe even write down some of the ideas they inspire.

Personally I always pick up on the "energy" of the third chapter. Viewed in a straight intellectual way it can be quite a challenging read. But as I begin to read (and my inner reading voice tranforms into James Earl Jones :laugh:) I feel as if I am able to tap into the quintessential "feel" of the Aeon of Horus. Often there's a feeling of force and fire, liberation and energy that builds while I read. It's very stimulating. :)

But maybe one of the the other chapters will stir you in completely different ways and communicate some of itself in non-verbal ways.

Always Wondering

The Equinox of the Gods
Commentaries on Liber AL
James Eshelman's commentary
Comment D or the Djeridensis Working
Liber II: The Message of The Master Therion.
Liber DCCCXXXVII The Law of Liberty.
Frater Achad's, Liber Thirty-One.
Numerology article
The Equinox

Have you seen these links are at the bottom of the Thoth Study Group page.
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=27324

I have found both Crowley's and James Eshelman's commentaries helpful when I can even get a good start on a verse.

AW

poopsie

Thank you, all for the advice. With your inputs, I realize now that you are right, I need to use my feeling level and intuition as I develop insights on this. Thanks also for the references... I will definitely look them up.

At least now, I can re-open my perspectives on a wider lever. For awhile I was worried that I won't be able to get it because I couldn't make anything of some of the verses ...