How does your garden grow '07!

Guiding Cauldron

ahhh gardening :)

its chealsea flower show time again around here horay!!!! but alas i can not go this year - boo! :( All those lovely displays and plants to buy at the end of the week, i gues thats what telly is for lol i can just watch this year :)

although recently i have been in my lil garden and have some lovely additions. Hubby and I made 2 pea tented troughs for the sugar snap peas to grow on, Also there are yellow sweet pepper plant, satins kiss cherry hot pepper plant, and a long red italien sweet pepper to use for the grill. There is also an addition to the pumpkin patch along with my sons there is now a vintage italien pumkpin as well :) And theres is also a lil yellow round corgette plant. Soi i think our veggie and salad supply is growing along nicely for the summer time harvest :)

happy gardening everyone :)

lark

My garden is in....and growing like crazy already!
lettuce~ lolo rossa, green ice, and merveille
Green beans~ maxibel and straight n' narrow
Zucchini~ lolita
cucumber ~ salad bush and muncher
winter squash~ Tetsukabuto (this one is so creamy and good it tastes like custard!) and buttercup....Tetsukabuto needs a pollenator.
Harris model parsnips
Crosby egyptian beets (these grow almost completely on top of the ground.
Spinach~ correnta and a spinach mix
Mache
Kale ~ dwarf curled blue, starbore, and russian
Parsley
chive garlic
regular chives
oregano
thyme
salad burnett
lemon balm
lavender
pinks
butterfly bush
candy cane zinnia
butterfly weed (I always grow some flowers in the garden along with the veggies)
Tomatoes and peppers will go in after the 31st which is safer for us around here we had a frost two nights ago.

Does anyone plant by the moon?

This is my simple formula that seems to work.
During increasing light (from new moon to full moon) I plant annuals, any plant that completes it's life cycle within one growing season and has to be seeded anew each year.
During decreasing light (full mooon to new moon) I plant biennials, perennials, bulbs and root plants....this is also the time in the fall that I gather any seed I want to save over for the next year.

The lilacs are blooming and the columbines too and the baby house wrens are hatched in the nest in the clematis vine so all is right in my little garden.

Guiding Cauldron

Rain!

aug! its been SO wet, my poor lil planties will drown with all of this drenching!! but alas rain is good..just in moderation lol :)

ravenest

You probably all know this plant ... it's all over the place and throughout history - cotton.

But I've never grown it before. It's amazing to watch it do its thing.

Its full of cotton ! ( well ... duhr!)

But it's actually quiet amazing!

Anyone here grown it , any handy, small -scale harvest hints?

Guiding Cauldron

added a newbie!

ahh i was gifted a lovey couple of plants of cucumbers
and i added a gorgoues lil bitter orange tree :)
time to repot a couple of plants as well, looking lovely :)

BodhiSeed

ravenest said:
You probably all know this plant ... it's all over the place and throughout history - cotton.

But I've never grown it before. It's amazing to watch it do its thing.

Its full of cotton ! ( well ... duhr!)

But it's actually quiet amazing!

Anyone here grown it , any handy, small -scale harvest hints?

Here in the southern part of Georgia, we're surrounded by acres and acres of this plant - lol! They say we never get snow down here, but when fields of cotton plants bloom, it sure looks like it!

Bodhran

sharpchick

If it's very small scale, you only need to figure out how to get the seeds out. And even if your hands are toughened from working without gloves, the dried boll has points that are like needles when you pick it barehanded. (Blood on the cotton isn't my favorite way to see it.)

TheBip

I wanna grow cotton! :D Where could I get seeds?

lark

Today for supper I picked three kinds of lettuce and some baby spinach and made a great salad.
It's the first picking and that always tastes so fresh and crisp.

HearthCricket

Here are a few pics of my garden, at present. We pulled a lot of things out, this past fall, and new things went in this late spring. It will be fun to see what takes well, what doesn't and how full it will look. My ultimate goal is to see what grows well and have it chuck full of stuff so you don't really see mulch, but rather the feeling of an English cottage garden. And if this works, we will have more sections done up in the front and side of the house!