How effective would using unconventional reading methods be?

Grizabella

Headincloud, maybe you might want to withdraw your head from the cloud long enough to check out the Tarot Spreads sub-forum. :p (no offense intended) The spreads sub-forum is not only full of spreads that depart from the CC and are invented by many of our members, there's also a great big index you can use to find whatever spread you want.

Using the CC is actually not the norm around here. Some people use it but not that many, judging by the Reading Exchange and the Tarot Spreads sub-forums. I've only relatively recently started using it myself. And I don't see that it lacks the ability to give information about anything and everything. I think that's why it's such an old standard among card readers.

Zephyros

There seems to be a dearth of posts assuming "everyone" does this or that recently. })

But really, I don't use the CC anymore, I prefer to do a modular Tree of Life spread, which is more of a method than a spread.

nisaba

A friend of mine who I meet in a local spirituality club has a rather strange way of reading cards. Rather than taking from the top of the decks, he literally picks up cards from the bottom of the decks.
It works for him. As long as he is consistent, any deck he uses will work that way, even if he borrowed one of mine. :)

I notice there is quite little emphasis of reading methods outside the stereotypical Celtic Cross set ups.

So I am curious is there anything wrong with creating new metholodgies or altering existing ones to read tarot cards?

The Celtic Cross really is a spread, not a "methodology" (which actually means the study of many different methods, not a method). So are you referring to only spreads, or methods of reading?

There are many, many different spreads people use. I personally haven't used the Celtic Cross since about 1982 or 1983.

My method is this, and I don't know how conventional or unconventional it is:

I do no sort of "clearing" or "prayer" or "meditation" beforehand. I simply shuffle the deck: briefly if I have a client, more thoroughly if I don't. Then the client shuffles and cuts the deck. Then I peel cards off the top of the deck, and lay out whatever spread I have chosen to do from the uppermost cards. Then I open my mouth and away we go. At the end, I gather up the cards, stick them in the middle of the deck in a lump, shuffle briefly, and put the deck away.

My spread? Well, in recent decades I really only use my own spreads, unless I am in an exchange circle here with a specified spread, many of which are newly developed. :)

Would say creating a new unique spread of your own artistry ruin or destroy the energies and messages the cards are trying to give you?
Hell, no.

What about using cards in ways absolutely not related to tarots such as the card flipping I developed
That is *exactly* related to Tarot. That *is*, in fact, Tarot. It's just one of many ways to use the cards.

Is there a reason why most readers stick with Celtic and very few even among experts try to rebel against tradition and create new styles? Why does tarot seem to lag behind?
I don't think most readers do. Every time I join an exchange circle here, the spread is something cooked up by a forum member. I don't think we've ever done an exchange based on the CC, although in the TdM exchanges some of us sometimes use the Comte de Mellet spread which is far older than the CC. And when people ask questions, it isn't an invariable rule (or even a majority thing, I think) that they're asking for help about CC spreads.

Astrology, alchemy, and many divinitory stuff in their modern revivals have had modern experts use their creativity to create new styles. For example there are modern astrologers who are already rushing to add new asteroids to the chart interpretation and alchemists are using modern scientific formulas and discoveries to come up with new elixirs and formulas to the pre-existing traditions.

I don't see a problem. We have people adding extra cards to decks (the most famous would have to be the Happy Squirrel card), and people use their own spreads all the time. I honestly don't see a problem.

gregory

Actually - on reflection I would say that anyone's method is "unconventional" to practically anyone else. I well recall a couple of occasions when I read together with other people. One in particular where one said to another (of me) "see, I told you she did things differently..." And I was mildly startled by the method of a good friend of mine here, too. We all have our own conventions - even within a CC spread.

tarotbear

In fact as opposed to other spiritualist arts like Alchemy and Astrology, I notice there is quite little emphasis of reading methods outside the stereotypical Celtic Cross set ups.

So I am curious is there anything wrong with creating new metholodgies or altering existing ones to read tarot cards? Would say creating a new unique spread of your own artistry ruin or destroy the energies and messages the cards are trying to give you?

Is there a reason why most readers stick with Celtic and very few even among experts try to rebel against tradition and create new styles? Why does tarot seem to lag behind?

These are all interesting statements - but that is exactly ALL they are: statements. There is nothing to substantiate them.

In divination practices we can read coins, sticks, stones, bones, head bumps, etc., etc. There is nothing that would call any of these 'conventional' in any sense. However - that did not stop people from developing or using them. Tarot is a very fluid thing; Tarot constantly changes to meet the challenges of each new day. It did not get this way by being static. It did not get this way by static reading practices. You are assuming we are all cookie-cutter-cut out of the same mould. This is a mistake that many newer arrivals make when they come into AT: They are so full of themselves that they think we here are all 12-year-old witch wannabees who got our first deck of Tarot cards last week, slept with them under our pillows (that's a LAW - you know!) and don't have a clue about how to use them. WRONG! Many people here on AT have been studying Tarot for their past two or three lifetimes and know that it will take several more incarnations to possibly understand half of everything Tarot has to offer.

Ask us a question and we will answer, help, and support you. Criticize, condemn and stuff us into pigeonholes - as many newer posters seem to try doing lately (I hope this trend ends soon) and you merely show us that you haven't spent a lot of time looking around this site.

The Tarot adapts to you; you don't adapt to it.

My two cents .... your mileage may vary ...

Citrin

The Tarot adapts to you; you don't adapt to it.

THIS! THIS.

Just... Yes.

Every tarot reader will find what works for him or her, if they are open minded and really go in for the deep soul search, that's what I believe. If the reader blindly follows whatever book they bought with their first deck, and sees that books as "the tarot law", they might just end up never discovering their true potential as a fantastic reader. I believe that the best readers (whatever that means lol) are the ones who are ready to try new things and really research what gives them the best readings/connection or whatever you want to call it.

It doesn't matter if you throw tarot cards around you in a huge room and then walk around all over the place reading them in some random pattern no book has ever suggested, or if you use the good ol' Celtic Cross never straying from the Waite did it... If it works - it works.

Thoughtful

I NEVER use the Celtic Cross. I mostly make up my own spreads depending on what I need - or lay the cards in a line to tell a story.

Tried the CC when l first started out but found it rather cumbersome, so l am with Gregory here, l just lay them in a line adding further cards if necessary and read the story.

Recently I've tried to read without a deck of cards, but by "seeing" (for want of a better word) which card/s come into my mind for a person. So far so good :)

That's interesting to hear as this works for me as well, especially when my cards are not near at hand and l get asked a question. The relevant cards pop up in my mind.

caz241

Hi Thoughtful, nice to hear this works for you too :)

The first time I tried it I was apprehensive, but it was in a facebook development group, so I thought I'd give it a go, and I was so surprised when it worked.

LupaGreenwolf

I see readings as a conversation with the tarot. There are countless ways to have an effective conversation, and they don't all have the same structure, cadence, even language. As long as the spread you use helps to make that conversation happen, then I see no problem.

Calcifer

Thanks to AT, I've been freed from the Celtic Cross, which for years was the only spread I knew of. It has since come to me that as long as you're clear in your intent with the cards, how you lay them out doesn't really matter too much. Clarity and concentration has been the issue with me of late...
Michael