How many decks before you are considered a collector?

hunter

I think I may have just crossed over into "collector" with the acquisition of my new "The Girl's Guide to Tarot" kit. As long as I have a deck Gregory doesn't have in her hands yet, I'm something :)

I used it for a new year's reading, and using the book literally, made for a great reading. Simple, and direct.

I'm going to brave a snow storm tomorrow to get another copy a store has set aside for me, so I can use it to trade for something good. The stores won't ship these decks from one store to another. I have to travel to the store that has some :-(

Logiatrix

nisaba said:
I am nothing if not beautiful and fabulously twisted. Can I say you told me that?
Of course, that's exactly what I meant...;)
You, Nisaba, are beautiful and fabulously twisted!:heart:

ETA: To ease back over to the topic (before I get in trouble), I think the point was alluded to that there's a difference between a collector and a collection. A collector, I think, gathers multiple objects of a certain type or theme for the sake of sentiment, value, obscurity, or to complete a grouping. Or it could be the simple attraction to pretty/shiny/funny/retro/cool/whatever things. The "hunt" is also a motivator. That's collector-type behavior. Especially when there's a concious decision to acquire "more" of the same.

A collection, on the other hand, is well...are we talking a collection, like a group of just anything (like socks we wear or reciepts forgotten on the end table)? Or are we talking a Collection, like "check out my Collection (that I obsess over, add to religiously, and possibly commit subterfuge to maintain)...")?
Now THAT'S a Collection. Um, I mean, or so I've heard. I am only an accidental accumulator.;)

jcwirish

I guess I'm turning into a collector. I only have ten decks at the moment, but I am ordering another later this month, and there are two coming out later this year that I will have to have. Hmm, I never thought of myself as a collector of decks because I don't buy them unless I plan on using them, but whenever I begin to think I'm done and there can't be another one out there that I could want... there it is beckoning me, 'Buy me. You need me. You must have me."

WalesWoman

avalonian said:
This has got my head spinning.

I've never thought of myself as a collector of Tarot, more an accidental accumulator. :D

:) :) :)
Me too, ...until I found myself going after a deck with more than a little obsessive need to find it and get it before it was gone "forever"... or out of my $ reach. I don't think of myself as a hoarder, but I am becoming loath to part with any of them, even the accidental ones I don't really connect with, just in case I change my mind later, with great regret.

shadowomyn

...but I am becoming loath to part with any of them, even the accidental ones I don't really connect with, just in case I change my mind later, with great regret.

That's where I'm at right now. I'm at a point where I'd like to sell off some of my decks, but I'm afraid that down the road I'll suddenly want them back. (Although there's a couple Native American style decks that I should just get rid of - I simply don't relate to them at all).

Majecot

Originally Posted by nisaba
Andy Muirhead, compere of "The Collectors", considers a collector to be anybody who has three or more of a given category of object. His rationale is that you can have one, and you can buy a second to go with the first, but there's never any excuse for buying the third one. With the third one, whatever it is, you have tipped over the line into collection territory. And he should kn ow - he has considerable expertise in the area of collections, having several of his own, and collectibles generally.

Buy these standards I am indeed a collector of a good many things ( I'd hate for you to see my craft cabinet). Honesty, however compells me to admit that I tend to shop with an almost obsessive compulsive need, For most things.

I find I no longer need to own the 20 some decks in my "collection" and I have been weeding them out to the absolute, and weaning myself from compulsive need to shop for them.
I am starting to loose the "gotta have" syndrome. Not to say that at some point I won't buy another deck that catches my eye and makes me yearn for it, but I no longer intend that my cup runnith over with so many of a good thing ;)
And since I am not in the market for any OOP's I can't really see myself as a collector...just a shopper.

Gosh...does this mean I am finally starting to grow up??? ***shudders***

saleeneh

this is an interesting topic

I believe by nature I am not a collector personality. I do not like clutter in any form. I am not an organized person and do not have an overabundance of natural energy, I like to be able to be free and possessions weigh people down, I do not like the idea of having things that someone else wants as I think it causes you to try and protect your treasures which is a waste of energy and also it causes other people to covet which isnt good either. But(and here comes the big BUT LOL) I do enjoy doing readings with different decks because different decks change the flavor of the readings. I yearn to discover the new dynamics that different decks can bring. It doesnt matter to me if I own the deck or I borrow the deck though... so I dont think I am a collector even though I have three decks (already gifted away the gilded and the kama sutra who have found their true homes now) ...so am I or arent I??? hmmm....

gregory

If you can get rid of decks - no, I'd say not ! I know I can't do that, except with duplicates :D

nisaba

gregory said:
If you can get rid of decks - no, I'd say not ! I know I can't do that, except with duplicates :D
Let me remind you of the Talking Tarot. If someone were to wave money at you?

(I admit it - I must be a collector - I'm actually *missing* the damn thing!)

gregory

nisaba said:
Let me remind you of the Talking Tarot. If someone were to wave money at you?

(I admit it - I must be a collector - I'm actually *missing* the damn thing!)
Oh dear. Because you can't have it back* :) and no.

People have asked about the Charmed (it is HTF) - but NO WAY !

*well actually, MORALLY I guess I would have to concede..... PM me....