How much to charge for classes

bigcaat

I plan on offering a 6 week beginning tarot class. It will be once a week for 1.5 - 2 hours, depending on the number of students.

My thoughts were to charge $120 for the 6 weeks. (ie: $20/session) Is that a reasonable cost do you think?

Your comments are appreciated.

Thanks,
Caat

Ruby7

That seems quite reasonable to me, in line with other learning classes.

All the best,
Ruby7

bigcaat

Thanks Ruby. :)

Caat

Briar Rose

One of the shops in my area is having an introductory class for free from 10-2.

Sheliaa Hite has 2 tarot books published. Her class is 4 hours long, and for 6 weeks, $120 (I think), and she has handouts.

http://www.crystalessence.com/

Wishing you all the best, too!

Umbrae

Look around your area - find out how much they charge for other classes.

How much would I pay to learn to cook Chinese for six weeks?

The Kosher Klassroom? How much?

Price accordingly - adding in your own experience for a final adjustment, have you ever taught before? How many decades have you been reading for strangers? (if you haven't - you should not teach).

CAN you teach? Have you taught ONE student Tarot - face to face in person? if the answer is no - you will have difficulty with a dozen fresh faces.

Teaching ONE person can tell you if your curriculum needs re-organizing.

Grizabella

Well, I think Umbrae meant can you teach Tarot specifically. You may have a leg up by being a professor, but teaching Tarot is somewhat different. Like if you're a professor of English Lit you might have trouble crossing over to teaching Physics or football or something. :)

Umbrae

bigcaat said:
I'm a college professor ... going on 15 years.

Grizabella said:
Well, I think Umbrae meant can you teach Tarot specifically. You may have a leg up by being a professor, but teaching Tarot is somewhat different. Like if you're a professor of English Lit you might have trouble crossing over to teaching Physics or football or something. :)
Please read the entire paragraph. Taking one sentence out of context speaks volumes.

I had college professors who could not teach...

Umbrae said:
Teaching ONE person can tell you if your curriculum needs re-organizing.
I'm not joking, nor am I trying to piss you off. I'm dead serious. Teaching Tarot is not like teaching English lit. You may have to re-arrange the curriculum from what you think the order should be – in order for neophytes to grok.

It’s silly to ask for money for a class that nobody understands except the teacher!

And since you’re eager to tell me you’re qualified – as I said – speaks volumes.

bigcaat

Grizabella said:
Respectfully, I disagree. I've taught many subjects at major universities (and tarot privately) and teaching is teaching.

If you know your subject matter well and you know how to teach, you can teach it.

If you don't know your subject matter well, and you know how to teach, you will have trouble but can learn the subject matter as you go as long as you have a leg up on your students.

If you know your subject matter well, but don't know how to teach, you will have trouble teaching, but can learn as you go if you are inclined to teach.

Some people are naturally good teachers, some are naturally bad teachers and will never learn, and some have great potential if they know their subject matter well and are willing to learn *how* to communicate it.

I've taught in state universities, community colleges, private tutoring, extended studies ... the biggest variable are the students. Anyone who has ever had to teach a class of 20-30 white upper middle class students who have never heard the word 'no' and have been given everything they have ever asked for, having had to work for none of it, who are there because they *have* to be, not because they *want* to be, will pretty much have seen most of anything that students can dish out, save for working in an inner city K-12, for example.

Having 6 or 12 students who are taking a class because they *want* to learn tarot does not frighten me. I'm comfortable with my knowledge of the tarot. I have written a comprehensive syllabus. Teaching is teaching. If you know how to teach, you know how to teach any subject matter that you have intimate knowledge with. And if you are a good teacher, even if you don't, you are capable of giving a good class and learning along with them, as long as you are a step or two in front of them.

I honestly don't think teachers get enough credit for what they do. Teaching *itself* is a skill. It's something that is learned and honed over many years just like any other profession. The subject matter is just the root of it. Teaching tarot is functionally not any different than teaching anything else. As long as you are organized, know your subject, prepared and can communicate the subject, those are the qualities of a good teacher.

I'll get off my high horse now.

Caat

Grizabella

Umbrae said:
Please read the entire paragraph. Taking one sentence out of context speaks volumes.

Ya lost me there. I went back and read your post. Is that the paragraph you're referring to?

But anyway, I know what you mean.

I think.