How Original is Original (RWS)?

wandking

Stella

we should start a board and call it "Reading Tarot to Rednecks" Hey! I've got a better idea... How about a deck called "the Rednecks' Tarot?" the suits could be "cars in the yard"... "dogs under the porch"... "beer cans in back of the pick-up truck" and for the swords suit maybe "knives at the gun-fight"

stella01904

MM ~ Or Swords could be "shotgun racks in back of pick-up trucks"! And Pentacles could be "Copenhagen containers". The 9 of Cups would show a guy with nine beers watching a giant-screen TV that cost more than the little trailer it's in and takes up half the living room. And you'd have to work Wal-Mart in there somehow...BB, Stella

Sulis

This thread seems to be diverging.

The topic is 'How original is the Original RWS?'

Could we please get back on topic folks? This seems to be turning into a thread which would be better suited to Talking Tarot

Love

Sulis
co-moderator - Tarot Decks

stella01904

MM ~ Apologies! Sometimes I get carried away! BB, Stella

wandking

Yes, I too apologize for deviating from such a valid topic... To get back on track, let's start with The Fool in RWS... That little dog leaping also appears in the Wirth T. de Marseille and T. Mantegna... All three decks preceeded RWS. On The Magician, I think it was Levi who first noticed The Magician on the T. de Marseille hid the symbol of infinity in the folds of his floppy hat and Wirth expanded on the concept. That snake-belt worn by The Magician, which bites its' tail was probably borrowed from Falconnier. Levi describes arm positions as he confers voice to The Magician: “Above, immensity: Below, immensity still! Immensity equals immensity”

stella01904

MM ~ Look at his arms - and look at the Hebrew letter Aleph. (Even though this is the French correspondence and not the Golden Dawn!) BB, Stella

Bernice

My old Rider deck.

Here's my penn'oth. I've got the Pamela A/D deck (from the link - thanks for this!).

On careful inspection it seems to be the 1971 deck, except that the pic of the example '71 card has teeny copyright text in the lower right border (white edge). My cards don't have this notice.

So, it's anybodys' guess....

I used to have a much older deck, but it was second-hand and someone had scratched out the Devils face - I got rid of it !!! (fool...). It came with a tiny hardback book (falling to bits now), The Key To The Tarot by Waite. Frontspiece says it's a New Edition, London. Rider & Co. Paternoster House E.C.4.

Bee

Sulis

Bernice said:
Here's my penn'oth. I've got the Pamela A/D deck (from the link - thanks for this!).

On careful inspection it seems to be the 1971 deck, except that the pic of the example '71 card has teeny copyright text in the lower right border (white edge). My cards don't have this notice.

So, it's anybodys' guess....

I used to have a much older deck, but it was second-hand and someone had scratched out the Devils face - I got rid of it !!! (fool...). It came with a tiny hardback book (falling to bits now), The Key To The Tarot by Waite. Frontspiece says it's a New Edition, London. Rider & Co. Paternoster House E.C.4.

Bee
The earlier Rider decks that are in the blue two part box with The World dancer on the front don't have the copyright mark in the white border and neither do the early Rider decks that were sold as The Travellers Tarot (also in a blue two part box with The World dancer on the lid).

Bernice

Sulis:

Thanks for replying!
Then I must have got an earlier deck. I have the cards in a two-part blue box (i.e. lid & base) with the World dancer on the front.

What sort of date is 'earlier'?

Bee