How should I read a reversed rune as advise?

rebelgirl1749

I did a rune spread consisting of a three rune layout. First rune the problem, the second the advise, and the third the outcome. But when I asked for the advise it gave me reversed gifu-X. I know it means partnership or gift at least thats how I read it, but reversed I read it as bad partnership or something bad. So how do I read this as advise? How do I take reversed runes or even tarot as advise? How do you view this? Please and thank you!

rebelgirl1749

Hey guys, seriously please help me.

Hemera

Yes, I have been thinking about this and I will dig out my notes after the holidays. It has been a few years when I last worked with my runes.
From what I remember (and in the tradition I used them) some runes -including Gyfu- were ones that read the same both ways. I do not remember ever reading Gyfu reversed. If I were you I´d read it just as I normally read it. But I´ll check my notes later.

amethyst57

gifu or gebo can indicate unhappiness and your problems in life, too...

it be better to know the other two runes...

frac_ture

From what I remember (and in the tradition I used them) some runes -including Gyfu- were ones that read the same both ways. I do not remember ever reading Gyfu reversed.

I agree with Hemera on this: as far as I know, this Rune can't really be reversed. I use the Elder Futhark, and I know it as Gebo, but unless your version is different, it looks like our letter X...which is the same no matter which end faces up. I don't understand how you're seeing it as being "reversed"...?

it be better to know the other two runes...

I agree with this, too -- it might be easier to offer opinions if we knew what the other two runes were in the spread that you did.

Hemera

Yes, as I remembered none of my sources talk about using a reversed Gyfu. As Tony Willis puts it: "As Geofu (Gyfu) looks the same either way up, there is no reversed meaning, and you will have to use your intuition if you are to assess its meaning in a runecast accurately...Generally..Geofu is always a good sign."
Lisa Peschel says" this rune has no reversed position;therefore it almost always acts in a positive fashion whenever it occurs."
I checked several of my books for this in fact.

So, yes, I agree with amethyst57 and frac_ture here that we might be able to say more if we knew what the other two runes were.

rebelgirl1749

Thanks guys. I guess some runes cannot be seen as reversed. But my question is still not answered. My question is that if I would to ask for advise on a situation and get a random rune( whatever rune I may get) it is reversed. I don't know about you but I read reversed runes as a bad omen in someway or the opposite of its original meaning. So what Im asking is that how do I read negative rune as advise? Does that clear things up?

amethyst57

what were the other runes?
like the cards the others around this gebu will explain things....

frac_ture

Thanks guys. I guess some runes cannot be seen as reversed.

Yes, true -- depending on how they're represented, I come up with a total of nine Runes in the Elder Futhark that can't be read as reversed, as they're the same both rightside-up and upside-down.

But my question is still not answered. My question is that if I would to ask for advise on a situation and get a random rune( whatever rune I may get) it is reversed. I don't know about you but I read reversed runes as a bad omen in someway or the opposite of its original meaning. So what Im asking is that how do I read negative rune as advise? Does that clear things up?

I think you're saying you hadn't intended to focus on the specific spread/draw you mentioned initially, so much as you're just asking in general how one should read a reversed Rune when it comes as "advice?" If that's correct, then it depends in great part on you as an individual, and how you see reversed Runes. You said you view them as bad omens or as meaning the opposite of their traditional meanings -- I think you need to work from that standpoint. If you ask for advice on how to proceed in some situation, and you get a reversed Rune, then the draw could be counsel to not do something in a certain way, or to do your best to avoid certain occurrences or certain energies in the situation in question.

I'll try to create an example here, and hopefully it will help. Consider, if you will, the Rune Algiz (you might know it as Elhaz or some other name, but Algiz is how I learned it, so I'll stick to that). This Rune translates as "elk," and as I've been given to understand it, its most primary meanings are that of 1) protection, and 2) direct connection/communication between the earthly and the Divine. If you were to get the regular, upright Algiz as advice in a situation, I'd interpret that as saying you have extra Protection around the issue, and/or you're extra connected or in touch with your Guides. The advice here could be that you can be more bold than you normally would be, as you have that added Protection at this time. On the other hand, if you were to draw Algiz as reversed, then given your take on reversed Runes, you might interpret this to mean you're looking at a situation in which you don't have much protection -- maybe less than usual, and maybe less than you realize -- and maybe channels of communication with your Guides or with any and all other more spiritual/cosmic Forces out there are more plagued with interference than would be normal. The advice might then be to proceed with greater caution than usual, and to be extra wary of any risks, as you're especially vulnerable right at this point in time.

This is just one way to interpret the above example, but I think it's a fairly valid read. Any critique of this example is welcome, too, as I'm not claiming to be an expert with Runes just yet (and I also don't even really use reversals much myself -- not at all in Tarot, and I'm still debating how far I want to go with them in Rune-work)...

Hemera

I think reversals in runes area lot like with tarot. Some say they are just the negatives of upright ones and some say they are the same as upright but only muted or hindered in some way. There are many alternatives and I like what frac_ture writes above.
The best way would probably be to intuit your own interpretations of the reversed ones just like with tarot. If you get a reversed rune you can take notes of what happens and go from there.