How to Start to Create a Tarot Deck

Kenny

I am thinking about making my own tarot deck but am not sure of the best way to start so I'm asking for tips/advice/stories that people may have about creating a tarot deck.

Thanks in advance!

Kenny :)

relief

me too!

I'll be watching this thread because I, too, am doing this. I was just going to start sketching this evening, actually.

I've been lurking on this board for the last couple days, soaking in the wealth of information on tarot deck creation. I can't believe there's a board specifically for this! [Then, the more I think about it, I actually can believe it.]

It's such a daunting project to begin — I fully expect it will take me years to complete — but like anything else, can simply be broken down to a series of small steps, I suppose.

For me, it's a question of: do I want to try to rough all my cards out before I begin, or just dive in and go card by card? It seems like either approach has its merits.

I'll be interested to read what others have to say!

rogue

If you want to do a real tarot, first you need to develop a strong and honest understanding of the universe, which takes a lot of time and effort. Unqualified creators often do their own cards anyway. They just pick a specific theme they like, create a novelty deck, and call it a tarot.

relief

lampkin, I agree that would be the first step if one had just stumbled into the world of tarot. Not applicable in my case, but good advice.

Callistabell

Hi Kenny. What a great thing it is-- the journey of making a tarot deck of your own. I completed my first tarot deck this week- the Pizazz Tarot. (website going up asap). My husband and I have begun about 3 decks so far and this is the first one to make it to completion. The thing I did differently this time is plug away night and day until it was done. (I bordered on obsessive.) The others are still in the works and I'm sure we'll return to them soon. The process always begins the same way: the seed of an idea. Then we brainstorm on it and make a list of our ideas for the majors. We iron out the concept, whether its a visual or intellectual one. Then we pick the medium and I start to painting/drawing/ whatever-ing. The court cards and pips follow suit. Every card seems to encourage us and push us onward toward the creation of the next. Sometimes I am both designer and artist, sometimes my husband serves as designer. It's always great to have someone to work with, or bounce your ideas/ creations off of. This forum is great for that too.It helps keep you moving through the LONG process. :) And what a rewarding process it is! I wish you the very best. Keep us updated.

Splungeman

lampkin said:
If you want to do a real tarot, first you need to develop a strong and honest understanding of the universe, which takes a lot of time and effort. Unqualified creators often do their own cards anyway. They just pick a specific theme they like, create a novelty deck, and call it a tarot.

Wow. That's quite a hefty task. Strong and honest understanding of the universe, eh? And how does one know that they have achieved this? What's the finish line there? Who determines it? Does Stephen Hawking have an honest understanding of the universe? How about Einstein? Crowley? Whose universe are we talking about here?

I think the only qualification anyone needs to make a Tarot deck is being human and loving Tarot. Tarot speaks to our humanity and the mystery of existence we all strive to understand. Technically speaking, the Tarot is a deck of 78 cards- 22 Trumps and 56 minors of four suits. If you make a deck like that and actually produce the cards to create a usable deck, you have made a REAL Tarot deck.

I think telling someone they need to have a strong and honest understanding of the universe before they can make a REAL Tarot deck is quite discouraging. It makes one question, "Gosh, do *I* have a strong and honest understanding of the universe?" Some people search their whole life and will never admit to achieving such a feat.

Kenny...my advice...have fun and be flexible. If you think the High Priestess should wear motorcycle leather or needs to be depicted by a Dalmatian in overalls, GO FOR IT! It'll be exciting. Tarot is just as much a celebration of art as it is a tool for divination and personal insight. Please share your ideas on this forum. What's your idea? Let's see some art samples. Bring it on!

Chronata

Ok...I'll try and give you some advice!

First...have an idea of what it is that you love about the tarot...what draws you to it...and keep this thought first and foremost, strongly in your head.

Because if you don't love the process...or at least feel strongly about what you are doing, you will probably make about 6 cards and give up.

You don't necessarily have to know where the deck is headed...you just need to know how you feel about it.

Look through decks you love, and make a list of the bare basic essentials that define tarot symbolism to you.
If you think that the Magician should always have his tools shown in the card...or should always be Male...or is a Batteleur...or that he can be represented by the simpliest basic shape of a triangle...then go with that!
You are well on your way...the hardest part will already be done.

Or you can simply write down what each card means to you...every time it comes up. Write up a list of what each card essential energy, theme or ,meaning is to you.
Then use this list to create your design for each card. It may not resemble other decks out there...but it will be true to your own vision of the tarot.

or...forget all that, and just simply make each card as fast as you can in 10 (or five...) minutes each, without overthinking it.

All three of these methods worked for me.
And I have created three very different decks that reflect each one of these methods.

relief

Splungeman said:
Wow. That's quite a hefty task. Strong and honest understanding of the universe, eh?
I took it to mean an understanding of the tarot universe, not The Universe universe. ;) [No idea if I interpreted that correctly, however.]

That said, I would like to amend my earlier post. I don't necessarily think that this endeavor need take excessive amounts of time, as lampkin said. That can lead to a false sense of never being up to the task. As all artists know, at some point you just have to go for it.

More thoughts I had in that vein ...

Here is the line I have to walk as an artist contemplating the tarot: while I want to respect the tradition, I also want to contribute something new and express myself. [This is true for me, not necessarily true for all artists. Everyone has their own reasons for creating what they create.]

I find, when starting on a new project, that extensive review of what's already been done limits my creative abilities drastically. So for me, it's better to be fresh to the material. It's a delicate balance between "knowing the tarot universe" and bringing a fresh eye to it.

To this end, I have already decided to rely mostly on descriptive texts of the deck, rather than examining existing decks visually in my efforts to come up with concepts for each card. Not that I haven't seen quite a few decks over the years — it's what inspired me to do this in the first place. I just won't be revisiting them as part of my creative process.

rogue

Since your tarot is like your own little universe, it's important to learn about the nature of the universe, so that you may reflect your experience downwards to the best of your ability.

Making a real tarot is a serious ordeal. 78 cards will take you a while at any rate. Would you build a car without learning the mechanics?

On the other hand, a tarot deck need not be serious. Of course you have the freedom to do it however you want.

Dean

Hi Kenny

Well done on embarking on creating your own deck, like most people have already said its quite a daunting task creating 78 cards i've just completed my Minor's which took nearly nine months to do and i'm only half way, my Minors were the first to be created as i wanted to get these out of the way before the real task begins with creating the Major's.

Many people might just create a Major's only deck which would be alot less work, do you also have a theme in mind a layout on how you want your cards to look using pips or scenic type pips.