I am completely new to Lenormand

andybc

Okay, I see. Thanks, Andy.
But why could Mice near my card have mitigated this loss. I'd think that Mice near my card would be bad?

That's the traditional view. When the Mice are near your card you can get back what is lost, or even prevent them taking somethingit (if the Mountain was far away, and say the Dog and Park were above your card).

When the Mice are far away, you cannot normally.

Nina*

That's the traditional view. When the Mice are near your card you can get back what is lost, or even prevent them taking somethingit (if the Mountain was far away, and say the Dog and Park were above your card).

When the Mice are far away, you cannot normally.

Good Goddess... this is even more complicated than I thought. :( I understand why Mice can be loss. But if they can mean I can get back what is lost, it really doesn't make much sense to me.

I'll never learn. Sob!

But thank you.

andybc

Good Goddess... this is even more complicated than I thought. :( I understand why Mice can be loss. But if they can mean I can get back what is lost, it really doesn't make much sense to me.

I'll never learn. Sob!

But thank you.

It's part of the method of proximity which is how most of the cards' meanings are decided in reading i.e. Snake near is treachery whereas when she's far away she takes trouble away from you. This is how come a lot of readers don't agree on whether the Snake is good or bad. In reality, it's both. When she's near you are best to be careful where you tred, is how I word it. Far away, she'll slither on by and leave you in peace.

With the Mice they'll denote a loss or a theft. When it's near you what tends to happen is you realise it a lot quicker. When it's far away it is sometimes a lot less noticeable - and those are harder to get back.

Teheuti

Learning Lenormand takes effort, study and practice. It's not an immediate, anything goes kind of thing. I went through several months of intense study where my brain ached from trying to take in all the connections (I think it rewired my brain!). It was well worth it!

Seraphina

It's part of the method of proximity which is how most of the cards' meanings are decided in reading i.e. Snake near is treachery whereas when she's far away she takes trouble away from you. This is how come a lot of readers don't agree on whether the Snake is good or bad. In reality, it's both. When she's near you are best to be careful where you tred, is how I word it. Far away, she'll slither on by and leave you in peace.

With the Mice they'll denote a loss or a theft. When it's near you what tends to happen is you realise it a lot quicker. When it's far away it is sometimes a lot less noticeable - and those are harder to get back.

From your explainations I can see how the proximity method works, and actually it sounds fascinating (looking forward to learning that!) my question would be is that mainly used in a Grand Tableau? I would have thought that the more cards laid would give a better results for that method?

Nina*

OH... NOW I get it. I thought you were saying that mice near my card could mean that something lost somewhere else in the spread (not connected to Mice) would be found quickly.

Okay, this is good.
Does this only go for certain cards (Mice, Bear, Snake etc) or all of them (the proximity thing)?

andybc

From your explainations I can see how the proximity method works, and actually it sounds fascinating (looking forward to learning that!) my question would be is that mainly used in a Grand Tableau? I would have thought that the more cards laid would give a better results for that method?

The GT is the main spread and what the petit-Lenormand method was designed for. You might never use it but you'll need to learn how to do it to fully learn the cards' language.

However, proximity can and is used in smaller deals. Which is why learning cards' "weight" and themes is important. Again, I believe Caitlín will go into this in more detail in her next book, and I cover it in mine and Bjorn Meuris will do in his forthcoming correspondence courses.

OH... NOW I get it. I thought you were saying that mice near my card could mean that something lost somewhere else in the spread (not connected to Mice) would be found quickly.

Okay, this is good.
Does this only go for certain cards (Mice, Bear, Snake etc) or all of them (the proximity thing)?

90 % of the cards have meanings for near or far. Some cards don't have such clearly defined meanings for near or far but change depending on what they are with i.e. if the Cloverleaf, Stars and Roads are by the Clouds or the significator is they are all bad.

Learning Lenormand takes effort, study and practice. It's not an immediate, anything goes kind of thing. I went through several months of intense study where my brain ached from trying to take in all the connections (I think it rewired my brain!). It was well worth it!

For me I used to think I was the most stupid person in the world. I watched my Aunt who could not read or write read with such ease but how she explained it was so-confusing. It was just OVERLOAD at times.

I do think three years is the min. time - it's like learning a language, and that is what most people suggest.

Izzydunne

Andy BC said:

" That's the traditional view. When Mice are near your card you get back what is lost, or even prevent them from taking something."

From my perspective.....traditional or not, this doesn't make sense and isn't logical. The idea that a bad card becomes better when near, and stays bad when it is far away, just isn't how the world works. If something has a negative vibration, then that is it's nature. Vibration does not change with proximity.

This, to me, is the crux of the Lenormand problem. Clearly, the Great Mademoiselle herself did not adhere to the staggering amount of rules that readers of today claim to be traditional and thus correct. I think readers of today would do themselves and others a favor by holding up all these rules to the light of reason. Some rules (just enough to give structure) are important, but too many rules just add confusion. That is why so many students walk away from learning Lenormand, when actually learning with less rules is relatively easy

Barleywine

I recommend Andy's beginner's book: Lenormand - Thirty-Six Cards: An Introduction to the Petit Lenormand. It's a great place to start.
http://www.amazon.com/Lenormand-Thirty-Six-Cards-Introduction-petit-Lenormand-ebook/dp/B00JHO7X8M/

Thanks! I've been wading through the Lenormand books (well, frankly, the water wasn't very deep) on Amazon but didn't see this one. Must be because it's only available as a Kindle edition. Fortunately I have one of those and won't need to mess with the Kindle conversion program for PC.