I didn't even realise: Grimauds marseille (1963 version)

Bernice

Luminosa said:
Hi Bernice,

Yeah, it seems a small cup, but what do you think is the symbolism behind that, performing tricks only? (hahah, I agree that there are tricks and TRICKS). I think there has got to be something more sophisticated and powerful in it because we are dealing with the great Magician, the adorable Hermes himself. On the other renditions, I see the yellow button as the Solar Disk (symbol of immortality). What then has this small cup to do with the solar disk, if anything? If nothing, what would it mean?

Thanks,
Hi Luminosa,

This deck isn't the Rider-Waite Tarot, it's one of the early original tarots in which there is no Magician. The card Le Bateleur is considered to depict a flim-flam man. Not powerful at all! In the game of 'tarot', this card has a low score.

Bee :)

Bertrand

Hello,

Bernice said:
The card Le Bateleur is considered to depict a flim-flam man. Not powerful at all! In the game of 'tarot', this card has a low score.
This card is not powerful as it is the trump that gets beaten by any other trump, but yet it beats any card from the four regular colors.
On the other hand the Baga/Bateleur/Pagad is one of the 7 Tarots as they are described in the 1637/1655 rule along with Le Monde, Le Mat and the four kings. As such it has a specific and important value. If someone gets Le Monde, le Mat et le Bagat it's worth three points, as much as having the 4 kings. Also having any of the three trumps tarots (Monde,Mat,Bagat) when someone else has two was important in the game as not having a single one induced a penalty.

During the game, playing the Bagat for the last trick with (and winning it) is also worth six points (which is the same amount as having the four kings plus le Mat in hand). This was a rule for the kings too, nowadays in France and I guess in many other places this rule still apply for the Bateleur/Bagat, in french we say mener le petit au bout.

So to sum up, the bagat is indeed the less powerful trump but it is a very important card regarding the score.

Bertrand

Bernice

Thank you for that clarification Bertrand. I haven't actually played the game of tarot - no-one to play it with! But for me these game-rules are well worth considering when devising 'reading' methods.

Le Bateleur: Not powerful but, important regarding the scoring.

Cheers B.

Bee :)