I got invited to a convention!

dawntarot

Hello all!

I've been mulling over the possibility of reading semi-professionally in the future, and have been reading a lot of the advice given here.

I regularly visit a lovely little FairTrade metaphysical cafe, where my friend bought my beloved Pagan Cats deck for me. I popped in today and one of the people who work there immediately introduced me to a couple of regulars as "the tarot cat lady"!

Then she took me inside and informed me of a convention happening in a nearby town in October. Apparently it's a fair of various different types of spiritual healing and so forth. She said, "You should come, it would be a good opening for you with your tarot." !!

I explained that I don't have much experience reading face-to-face, so she told me to bring my cards with me next time and she'll let me practise on her. *jawdrop*

It's crazy because I was thinking this cafe would be an ideal environment to practise in, it's usually fairly quiet and easy to get a bit of privacy. The owners, obviously, are open to all sorts of spiritual things, so I was thinking of taking a tip jar and then splitting the pot at the end of each session (I haven't suggested this yet of course).

I don't think I'll be able to attend the convention sadly, as I am covering my boss's holiday from my regular job, but I just wanted to share my excitement :D

Dawn

tarotbear

If the window of opportunity opens up and you have a chance to attend - JUMP ON IT!

Good Luck!

AJ

the quicker you jump in the pot the smoother the swim...
By all means take her up on face to face practice. The first one is the hardest, then it gets easier and lots of fun.

dawntarot

I'll be honest, I am really, really nervous about reading face-to-face. Although I've done about 100 readings on here since I joined, I did it by writing down my interpretation as I went... I've always been better at expressing myself in writing. So I have no idea how I'm going to fare reading face-to-face.

I told the lady at the shop this (the one who has so kindly offered to let me practise with her), and she said, "That's fine, just bring your notebook with you!"

I'm hoping I can wean myself off needing it so much, but what if I can't? How would querents react to me scribbling in a book?

I'm so excited about all this, but also so nervous. :D

Dawn

starrystarrynight

I'm much better and more comfortable on the written page, too, dawntarot; however, as the others have said, reading face to face gets easier the more you do it.

Grizabella

I wouldn't write it down as you read for someone who is sitting there. I'd write my notes later in private if I were you. You'll be surprised at how well you can read in person if you just take your time, give it due consideration and thought, and don't worry that you're not speeding through the reading.

starrystarrynight

Grizabella said:
I wouldn't write it down as you read for someone who is sitting there. I'd write my notes later in private if I were you. You'll be surprised at how well you can read in person if you just take your time, give it due consideration and thought, and don't worry that you're not speeding through the reading.
Yes, writing or consulting notes when reading brands you as an amateur and makes clients ask if you don't trust yourself enough to read without those kinds of support, why should they trust your readings. You know?

I would definitely take your friend up on practicing with her to make sure you know your cards and can weave a reading together fluently. You know if you're ready or not, but don't let fear hold you back.

Good luck! :)

dawntarot

Thanks for your advice everyone. :) I would love to be able to read fluently out loud, so the only way to do that is practise it :p I'll be sure to let you all know how I get on, hopefully I will have had a go within a fortnight :D

Dawn

Seven Pelicans

That sounds wonderful Dawn! Obviously she is an ally & friend to you & your business-to-be. Maybe if you remind yourself that she is on your side & wants you to succeed, you'll be less nervous reading for her? Good luck & don't forget to have fun!

dawntarot

my first experience: how it went!

Well, today I went to the shop and took up the lady's offer of practise! :) I decided to use my TdM to start with as I've tried it with a friend and discovered I was a lot more fluid than with my cats deck.

Anyway, she asked me how her career there would progress. I started with 3 cards and gradually expanded to 7 as we went deeper into the reading. Unusually they were all pips, which was challenging, but overall I gave her a clear message which resonated really well with her. Afterwards I felt so excited because I didn't use the notebook at all and I was just happy it was accurate! In places amazingly so: the cards told me how long she'd been working there and things like that.

She invited me again to the convention and explained that the lady who runs it is really keen to get a card reader on the team :D hopefully I will be able to make the next one!

Now I've had some time for reflection I've realised how much I would love to take this further. I want to practise more, deepen my knowledge and maybe even earn a little pin money on the side.

I'm also really, really excited. This was a huge step for me - a leap of faith even - and I'm just buzzed from the experience. Hopefully there will be many more to come :D

Thanks everyone for sharing your wisdom. I was able to take my time while I was reading and not rush it. This really helped me :)

Dawn