I may have turned a corner in my professional life

Carla

I have thrown my business cards in the bin. They're gone. I can't use them anymore; they say 'party bookings available'. Shudder.

lotus2blossom

I received a cold call from a shopping mall in a nearby city asking me to work a table at their Ladies Shopping and Pamper Day...and I turned it down. I thought about it and decided I did not want to do readings like that. I think my days of thinking I want to read for others for pay are numbered. The fact is...I don't think I actually want to. Strangely, this comes as a relief to me. Online readings, fine. Face to face 'tell my fortune' readings? No, thanks.

Sure it's not a fear block coming from one of your imbalanced chakras? You could be ultimately limiting yourself in growth in the grand scheme of things, so I'd actually take some time to meditate on it and look at it completely objectively to be sure the decision is aligned to my higher self rather than some ego-driven fear.

I can say that I'd empathize with you there though, I haven't done any party bookings yet (mostly because I'm a bit limited in my current living situation). The thought does seem a bit nerve racking because there are so many people around and the energy is rather scattered. Yet, I will say from personal experience, the moments where I've decided to overcome the fear and follow through with it, I've felt ultimately more fulfilled and intuitively aligned. My own psychic abilities just sky-rocketed... and isn't that ultimately the goal in this type of work anyway?

Just some thoughts to reflect upon. :)

Carla

I wouldn't be surprised to find I've got a blocked chakra. :)

Amanda

The thing with reading tarot, even professionally I'm finding, is that even though it is a service like many other services offered, it's totally a 'niche' kind of thing with every person uniquely doing it.

You know how like... tax accountants for example all basically do the same thing, and they have certain legalities they all must follow -- there is little room there for each one of them to be unique, so they look at the kind of deals they can offer to best their competition in order to get business...

Tarot readers can do the same things those tax accountants can, but tarot readers have such a wider spectrum from which they can be unique, because tarot reading is such a personal thing (though I understand in some places, there are also legalities involved with that).

I imagine Carla, that there is some form of professional tarot reading out there for you if you want it, you can shape it to match your own unique personality and style of reading and make your own little niche and hit your own Carla-style target market with it. Maybe big group settings aren't your thing... maybe you prefer to develop closer, more personal relationships with your clients. I know that I do -- the whole fast-food type of readings done on hotlines I've learned, are definitely not my thing.

Seven Pelicans

tax accountants for example all basically do the same thing, and they have certain legalities they all must follow -- there is little room there for each one of them to be unique, so they look at the kind of deals they can offer to best their competition in order to get business...

I agree with your general niching advice to Carla, but have to point out that tax accountants are as varied & unique as anything else, especially the smaller outfits where it's just one or two accountants. There are some who specialize in serving a clientele of artists & performers, some saints who specialize in helping gay couples/domestic partnerships, & all kinds of other interesting niches.

Anyway... Carla, congratulations for being so clear what you want to do & what you don't want to do. I think it's a huge piece of the self-care that is key to healing/helping professions like ours.

Carla

I imagine Carla, that there is some form of professional tarot reading out there for you if you want it, you can shape it to match your own unique personality and style of reading and make your own little niche and hit your own Carla-style target market with it. Maybe big group settings aren't your thing... maybe you prefer to develop closer, more personal relationships with your clients. I know that I do -- the whole fast-food type of readings done on hotlines I've learned, are definitely not my thing.

I'm sure you're right. I will continue to think on this.

Anyway... Carla, congratulations for being so clear what you want to do & what you don't want to do. I think it's a huge piece of the self-care that is key to healing/helping professions like ours.

Thank you for being supportive, Seven Pelicans.

I will find my way eventually. :D

Annabelle

Congratulations, Carla, on being willing and ready to make a big change in your professional life. I bet throwing those cards out was hugely freeing, emotionally and mentally.

Carla

Can you believe I just put those cards in the recycling bin today, and I have received an email asking me to work a small 'tarot party'! I'm not even sure what this potential customer meant by that, so I emailed back explaining that I will do a small group of 5-8, only if they have their questions in mind beforehand, and gave some examples in my reply. We'll see what she says.

Amanda

I agree with your general niching advice to Carla, but have to point out that tax accountants are as varied & unique as anything else, especially the smaller outfits where it's just one or two accountants. There are some who specialize in serving a clientele of artists & performers, some saints who specialize in helping gay couples/domestic partnerships, & all kinds of other interesting niches.

Right, but IMO, there is more creative leeway to do business as a tarot reader than a tax accountant... in the sense that doing business as a tarot reader is unique like a thumbprint, and doing business as a tax accountant is unique like a box. I'm not talking exactly about Carla targeting a specific group of people she believes she could help the most because of how she believes she is as a reader, but rather, drawing people to her that like her personal style with them and keeping those same people coming back... which could include various types of people... because I'm thinking that money is not the primary objective here for Carla, and simply casting her net out to see what she catches is not the answer.

Carla

Money is not an objective for me at all, really. It would be nice to think so, but so far, I feel like readings have cost me more mentally and emotionally than I have earned back in money. So if I don't feel like I've achieved some higher purpose in truly helping someone, I don't see the point in doing the readings.