i think i finally got over the "gotta have it!" syndrome

divinemsm

TarotGirlUK said:
I realised that my 'gotta have it' was out of control when I started fantasizing about a 'Twilight' Tarot with pics of Edward and Jacob in meaningful positions in it :S })

Lol!! You do sort of start looking at everything as in how it would fit on a Tarot deck, don't you? I did that at Thanksgiving the other day with my family and it definitely lightened my mood.
I agree with studying one deck when you start out as a way of getting to know the tarot, and with stowing the LWB in the box in the closet and not reading it at all. And journalling is a phenominal idea in that you are putting your own insights on paper instead of looking at someone elses. I plan on doing a new journal starting at the new year with the Diary of a Broken Soul deck. Even if you are not a beginner, our perspectives change over time and it can be interesting to see where it goes.
Almost all of my Tarot decks follow the RWS system because that is what system I started with and feel most at home with. I have purchased unique decks because they have appealled to me for one reason or another, on occassion(like Osho zen!!), and they were "gotta have it" buys. I have noticed subsets within my collection to where I see the direction I am going. This does put parameters on my "gotta have its" because now I look to see where it fits in my colletion. Is it small press, very limited run? Is it vintage late 60's to very early 70's? Is it OOP? Does it fall into one of the 3 purposes I use my decks for (spellwork, reading, meditation)? Once you get to a point where you know what your tastes and uses are, you can really start limiting yourself.
There will be the ocassional deck that comes along, doesn't fit anywhere but just blows you away. But ocassionally is alot better than gotta have it all the time!!

gregory

Anyone needing to be cured of wanting tarot based on TV shows need only examine the Charmed.... Scans are available on Tarotgarden.....

It used to be my worstest deck, but has been overtaken since by the Power Animals......... and I believe yet worse is on its way !

nisaba

gregory said:
Anyone needing to be cured of wanting tarot based on TV shows need only examine the Charmed.... Scans are available on Tarotgarden.....

It used to be my worstest deck, but has been overtaken since by the Power Animals......... and I believe yet worse is on its way !
<giggle> Surely not! Who could ever send you such a thing?

WonderGuy

ha ha! gregory!
"worstest"! my new word of the day... i needed that... its been a long day. thanks! :)
thanks again ya'll for the insight, i greatly appreciate it.