Ill-Dignified Cards

Silver_Skye

Hello Everyone!

As I've browsed through the forum, especially in the readings forum, I've come across the term 'ill dignified" a few times - Usually in the context of how one card was ill dignified beside another and how it changes the meaning.

I've run a search on here, looking for a thread, but I had little luck (thought that could have been my wording in the search box) and I was just wondering if anyone could elaborate on this a little, or provide an informative link?

I'm just wondering what an Ill-dignified card is, what kind of effect it has on the meaning, and how do you tell when a card is ill-dignified etc.

Thank you all in advance for anything you can offer on this subject. ^_^

Shaymus

Hi Silver-Skye,

It has to do with elemental dignities. A card is ill dignified in a number of ways...

1. Being next to, or interacting with a suit element that it is not 'friendly with', eg., wands to cups (fire/water), or swords/pentacles (air/earth).

2. Or occupying a card position, such as an earth card (pentacle) occupying an air position (mind) such as in mind/body/spirit spread.

There are others. A great book on the topic is by Elizabeth Hazel and is called "Tarot Decoded:......" I forget the rest of the title.

Hope this helps. You may want to search using "elemental dignities".

Shaymus

Silver_Skye

Shaymus said:
Hi Silver-Skye,

It has to do with elemental dignities. A card is ill dignified in a number of ways...

1. Being next to, or interacting with a suit element that it is not 'friendly with', eg., wands to cups (fire/water), or swords/pentacles (air/earth).

2. Or occupying a card position, such as an earth card (pentacle) occupying an air position (mind) such as in mind/body/spirit spread.

There are others. A great book on the topic is by Elizabeth Hazel and is called "Tarot Decoded:......" I forget the rest of the title.

Hope this helps. You may want to search using "elemental dignities".

Shaymus

Oh thank you so much for that post! It's starting to come together. :) I"ll be looking for that book promptly!

Are elemental dignities commonly used in reading?

Silver_Skye

Is this the title we're looking for?

Tarot Decoded: Understanding and Using Dignities and Correspondences (Paperback) ?

Shaymus

Yes, that's the book (I just took it off my bookshelf) and looked at it. I recommend it. It also delves into astrological correspondences too.

I use it in place of using card reversals. I like the method and it seems to be a good 'fit' with me.

Happy readings,
Shaymus

Silver_Skye

Wonderful, thank you for your assistance! ^_^

psychic sue

Personally I worked out my own method for this years ago - I just let my mind "wander" freely - and something usually comes up that will connect the ill-dignified cards. It can also suggest an imbalance somewhere in the querant's life.

Just a thought you might want to try.

Sue x

Silver_Skye

psychic sue said:
Personally I worked out my own method for this years ago - I just let my mind "wander" freely - and something usually comes up that will connect the ill-dignified cards. It can also suggest an imbalance somewhere in the querant's life.

Just a thought you might want to try.

Sue x

Interesting method! Thank you for sharing!! ^_^ I'm lucky since I'm still new I can experiment without having to change my way of thinking on it. :)

Imbalance - that actually makes a lot of sense to me. Thank you!