I'm going to be flamed: information on various RWS decks

Keigh

gregory said:
:|

But the 78 page book is good - there is a book about that somewhere.....
Are you referring to Rachel Pollack's 78 Degrees of Wisdom? Or is it something else....

wytchwood

Some ideas of RWS type decks.... aside from the regular RWS and the Universal, Radiant, Original, Golden and Albano versions, there's also the Morgan Greer (my favourite), the Hanson Roberts, Sharman-Caselli, New Palladini, and if you like quirky, there's the Ator and the International Icon, both of which are superb. There are loads of others, but obviously it comes down to taste. You may want to take a look at this page:

http://www.lelandra.com/rwsclones/tarotrwsclosest.htm

and this:

http://www.advancenet.net/jscole/tarotrwsclone.htm

and this:

http://www.lelandra.com/rwsclones/tarotrwspcsline.htm

and if that doesn't confuse you enough..... lol

Zoe xx

Miss Divine

If had a US games RW version (yellow box), but ditched it the same week.
I couldn't deal with the hideous plaid backs. Well I couldn't deal with the hideous fronts even.

I got the Radiant and Universal Waite for study purposes. Not my favorites but much much better than the yellow boxed IMO.

I like the bright colors from the Radiant but don't like the people's faces much, and the overly done lamination.

The Universal has nice lamination, but the colors look washed out.
My friend has the Universal Waite too, but her's looks a bit brighter than mine.
I actually even like hers. So I think I just got a deck from a batch where they were running out of inkt LOL.

gregory

Keigh said:
Are you referring to Rachel Pollack's 78 Degrees of Wisdom? Or is it something else....
No - that goes into every card, but doesn't suggest they form a book. I thought it might have been Huson's Devil's Picture Book, but haven't had time to look...

wytchwood

Miss Divine said:
If had a US games RW version (yellow box), but ditched it the same week.
I couldn't deal with the hideous plaid backs. Well I couldn't deal with the hideous fronts even.

I got the Radiant and Universal Waite for study purposes. Not my favorites but much much better than the yellow boxed IMO.

I like the bright colors from the Radiant but don't like the people's faces much, and the overly done lamination.

The Universal has nice lamination, but the colors look washed out.
My friend has the Universal Waite too, but her's looks a bit brighter than mine.
I actually even like hers. So I think I just got a deck from a batch where they were running out of inkt LOL.

I agree with pretty much that whole post, my experiences were pretty similar, but I love the RWS 'format' so I have kept searching fro a nicer version. I love the Morgan Greer, it follows pretty faithfully where the RWS leads, but I'm also gonna give the Albano a try. :)

Zoe xx

Lavandula

The Universal Waite has my vote here. It's been good for learning as the colours are not as garish and distracting as some of the other RWS versions (IMHO). The card backs are about the nicest too.

I recently got to flick through the Diamond Tarot. For those who haven't seen it - it's the RWS with big wide decorative borders. Very interesting take.

rota

You might want to try the new Alchemical. It's got great imagery, and the organization is very similar to the RWS.

Okay, not exactly the same, but it's a good-looking deck.

mac22

rota said:
You might want to try the new Alchemical. It's got great imagery, and the organization is very similar to the RWS.

Okay, not exactly the same, but it's a good-looking
deck.

While I REALLY like the Alchemical Renewed deck its symbology vastly different than the RWS. Not everyone can slog thru the Alchemical symbols set to make sense of the deeper meaning(s) of the deck.

Mac22

claire falconer

Albano RW

Hi Feitico,
From the look of your avatar, you like primary colors. If so, you might want to check out the Albano-Waite deck. The colors are - to some - a bit much. I find that this deck really rocks. Its use of primary colors is powerful. People who use this deck swear by it. You can also do a search by entering Albano Waite and see some other users responses to it.

Pagan X

The pocket sized Universal Waite has brighter colors than the Regular sized deck. At some point USG must have changed publishers and the deck got the washed out look.