I'm rolling!!

Briar Rose

I tumbled stones. They are so smooth to the touch, and like HC said, they are comforting. You can put them in your bags and they won't scratch anything.

I have some pics of my rocks though. The speckled ones are quite interesting, from Llano Texas. It is a granite and the blue specks are blue quartz crystal. It simple is amazing. Llano is the only place in the world it grows, so they call it Llanite.

The orange-e one in the back is quartz, from a cave in Portugal. I brought it all the back! I love it. It's orange from the iron in the cave (I think).

The green one is glass, a mistake by a glass blower, here in the Berkshires. It looks like a rock. And an Amethyst cluster (not the one from work!). My mom gave me this one. Wasn't that nice of her to add to my collection like that?

There's another flat and dull looking rock in the picture from Texas. A field trip. I just remember having to listen to a long lecture (on the side of the road) about how important this HUGE greenish rock was, and that it dated back a longgggggg time ago.

Rocks; I love them. rough cut, tumbled, points, everything. They are so special to me. If I could I would love to live in a stone house with stone walls and stone floors.

I could go on and on for hours about stone, rocks, minerals. I just love it.

Edited to add pics:

rock 1 and 2 is same rock. It's a naturally grown cylindrical rock, that has some sort of a white frosted quartz points? Then the back is smooth. From the class and Uni someone dug this out of the ground and thought I might love it. I do. It grows perfectly round, pipe like.

Attachments

• Rock collection.jpg
    Rock collection.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 88
  • rock1.jpg
    rock1.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 91
  • rocksamepic2.jpg
    rocksamepic2.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 90

morticia monroe

Oh HV. I love your stones!
My man is a deep sea diver/wetwelder. He also brings me the most beautiful shells and coral that he finds on the ocean floor. What a beautiful world we live in, no?

I'd love to see more of your collections, everyone.

Briar Rose

Thank you Morticia Monroe. I'd love to see yours.

The last one is tiny garnets from Witches Woods Lake up in Woodstock, Connecticut. You just lay by the lake and pick all the garnets out of the sand.

Attachments

• fossilcollection.jpg
    fossilcollection.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 80
  • lepodolite.w.pktourm..jpg
    lepodolite.w.pktourm..jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 88
  • rockcollectiongarnets.jpg
    rockcollectiongarnets.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 90

Sonic

Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous! Thank you for sharing. Can't wait to see what her stones come out as.

Waterfaery

WhiteBirchWoman said:
Also, does tumbling rocks prepare them for ritual use, whether as active tools in magic or just in being used for various purposes? (by the latter, I mean something like this: in addition to wrapping my tarot decks in black cloth, I perch black quartz on top of them, but without having done anything to the crystal beforehand and with no sort of protection ritiual).

I think for ritual purposes, they're just as powerful either way. But you could always design a lengthy ritual around the tumbling process if you wanted to prepare a set of rocks for a certain purpose. The only difference would be that more of your own intent would go into them.

All of this discussion is making me want one! Crystals fascinate me anyway, but I've also loved to find those really unusual rocks out there that make you wonder what force actually shaped it. And sea stones, don't even get me started on those... Can't wait to see your finished products! :)

kwesifriends

morticia monroe what site did you buy your crystals? So have fun polishing your minerals and have fun!

Josh

Would love to see some before and after pictures of your rocks, sounds like this is going to be a long yet fun process, I don't think I could contain myself to wait a whole month in order to get them out... But alas at least someone other than me has patience! :)

Sonic

Taking this one step further- everything I read on websites and on the boxes of these things say "get rocks from your backyard" etc.. Has anyone tumbled regular rock from a garden or something and found..? Are we even able to identify these?

How are those stones looking? :)

morticia monroe

Memries,

I'm so sorry, I somehow missed your post... To answer your question, it is suggested that rocks should be similar in size when tumbled, but that it is alright to throw a few larger ones in with a batch of the small or mediums. The thing that seems to be of the most importance is to tumble rocks of same or near-same hardness.

Kwesi, I believe I got my rocks from TheRockShed. I don't really remember because I had my boyfriend looking over my shoulder the entire time I was scouting for a good batch of rough stones. He can't for the life of him understand why I like to look around before I make a purchase. In his world, you take the first acceptable thing that pops up and be done with it.

Sonic, I haven't checked on the stones, but found a great rock tumbler-enthusiast website and it shows pictures of the various stages of tumbling. According to the photos, after days of tumbling in water and grit, the rocks have churned a type of near-cement, and are rolling around in a thick gritty blob. :)

Hi Josh! Thanks for joining in. I have to say that patience is not a strong point for me, either. But I'm digging in so that I'll do it right.

Little Hare

morticia monroe said:
I'd rather have a quartz crystal than a diamond any day of the week, and the men in my life have never failed to be amazed that I'd rather have a copper bracelet than a ruby ring. :)

I'm exactly the same! :D I have a few diamond rings that have been given to me and i don't wear them, I always where my rutilated quartz ring.... Bring them on :D :heart: