In Praise of Odd-Sized Decks

Dee Ell

My kitty thanks you :) Your black cat sounds lovely!

I've been on the fence with round decks - I will probably get one eventually but so far I haven't met the right one. I too wonder how they will feel in a spread.

Of course you can, and now I'm curious. What shape?

I'd share a pic of her adorableness but I can't afford to renew my membership.

I've seen a couple round decks that have intrigued me (most of all the Circle of Life) but being LoS they'd most definitely need their egregious borders trimmed down which will be difficult to do really well on a round deck...

And I too am very interested to know what shape DIDN'T work!

nisaba

Tarot decks come in all different sizes and shapes, and personally I think that's something to celebrate! So let's chat about our favorite minis, giants, round decks, hexagonal decks, and whatever weird and wonderful decks you love.

Hooray! We need a thread like this!

With me, circular decks are the challenging ones to shuffle. The mini-Motherpeace is kinda-okay, though awkward, and I love it for sentimental reasons - I hardly ever use it. The full-sized Cloisters takes a .ot of room on the table and because of its circularity it's hard to shuffle, but I adore it.

These are my Osho Zen minis. It's a majors-only set that came in the back of a book called Tarot and the Spirit of Zen or something like that. You had to punch them out, so they have pleasantly rough edges.

I have a mini-Tarot Nova like that! The cards are two centimetres tall (less than one inch) by one centimetre wide (less than half an inch). When the deck is lying in a neat pile, the pile is actually taller than the individual cards are! The only way to shuffle it is to put the whole deck in your cupped hands, shake it, and toss it onto a table. Then I read where they fall, reading from the centre outwards, and reading only those who land with their faces up. I read as many cards as I need, and forget the rest. A Celtic Cross can be laid out comfortably on a serving-spoon. Putting the deck back together takes a long, long time because the cards are so small and fiddly. I now wish I'd bought two of them, so I could wide-wrap them and wear them as earrings!

So what are some of your favorites?

I didn't mind the Tiny Tarot, a copy of the RW deck specifically made to be hung from a keychain, It was in a translucent plastic box, and I consciously chose the cards that showed on each side. The plastic wore out, though, and it no longer hangs from my keyring <sob>.

On the other end of the spectrum is the Cary-Yale Visconti, measuring ... <gets out deck and ruler> 19cm by 10cm. I have the most gorgeous deep-indigo velvet bag I keep it in - I have *no* memory where or when I got the bag. At that size, it is bigger than many paperback books, and although it's printed on the same cardstock that the same publisher uses for other decks, because it's longer it feels more flimsy and bendy (just as when my hair is supershort it feels spiky but when I grow it out, it's soft). This has got to be one of my most personally valued decks. :)

Dee Ell

I have a mini-Tarot Nova like that! The cards are two centimetres tall (less than one inch) by one centimetre wide (less than half an inch). When the deck is lying in a neat pile, the pile is actually taller than the individual cards are! The only way to shuffle it is to put the whole deck in your cupped hands, shake it, and toss it onto a table. Then I read where they fall, reading from the centre outwards, and reading only those who land with their faces up. I read as many cards as I need, and forget the rest. A Celtic Cross can be laid out comfortably on a serving-spoon. Putting the deck back together takes a long, long time because the cards are so small and fiddly. I now wish I'd bought two of them, so I could wide-wrap them and wear them as earrings!

If I had one that tiny I think I would laminate them all so I wouldn't worry about damaging them while shuffling/handling them!

Earrings are a cute idea.

I've always had a thing for miniature things so if I got a deck that small I'd probably have to make some sort of domicile for whatever being would read them (at their full size) and then daydream about it 😊

bonebeach

The Osho Zen mini is ADORABLE and your cat is gorgeous!

My cat wouldn't work for scale--he's a big boy, and about twenty pounds.

I don't have any super teensy decks, though I think they're really cute when they're small enough. And I don't have any GIANT decks, but there are several I'd like larger, certainly.

The weird thing I love is...sharp corners. The Robert Place Vampire deck gets a lot of grief over the corners, while I'm sad that due to heavy use they're no longer that sharp and pointy. Actually, I love everything physical thing about that deck. The cards are larger and wider than usual, and glossy, and they come to you new stuck together in a brick and uggghhh cracking the brick apart was WONDERFUL. I enjoyed it so much.

I think most people try to peel those cards apart, and that doesn't work, and can tear the cards and damage them. But if you bend it this way and that, the block makes this amaazing bone crunchy squeaky sound and breaks into smaller chunks. It was perfect for a vampire deck to feel that way (to me--I'm aware this is odd).

Also, I laughed at the thread title. A+.

Madrigal

I like my smaller-sized Gorgon's Tarot. The original is huge but Schiffer also made a smaller version that is so much more useable.

I like my mini RWS, not the tiny, the mini. And my mini MP. I like the look of that mini Harmonious that Nemia posted. Laura, your cat is quite photogenic :D

Tippyjane

Oh, and Songs for the Journey Home is a wonderful round deck that feels peaceful and free.

Tippyjane

The borders are only about 1/4 inch, so the cards would still be big. Still beautiful though :)

gregory

Of course you can, and now I'm curious. What shape?
Um - the LoS Heart one referenced earlier in this thread,. Simply because it is almost impossible to shuffle, as the cards won't stay all oriented the same way ! I like the imagery just fine, and it was a lovely idea, but...

I'd share a pic of her adorableness but I can't afford to renew my membership 😞

And I too am very interested to know what shape DIDN'T work!
See above. For your cat - upload the image to imgur and post a link (I like to see ALL available cats.

And now I must go get my camera and photograph my tiny tinies....