In Search of a Deck

kx5

So, two years ago a friend of mine had a reading done for him from one of his acquaintances. After the reading he gave me a very lousy description of the names of some cards and their interpretation. He doesn't remember anything about the illustrations on the cards. And for two years I've been looking for that deck and I've been trying to find out which one it was.

So, I'm posting here to see whether you guys have any ideas. From what he and I remember, it was a large spread, however he only was able to give me information for one or two cards. One of the cards he remembers came up reversed, which means that the deck's style allows reversals.

The two cards he remembers are the following cards. The names are likely to be wrong.

The Fiery Rx - which, considering that his question was about his relatonship with a person, was taken by the reader to mean that the person in question was feeling supressed and blocked from taking action. This sounds very similar to something along the lines of Strength Rx...

The Ocean - which was taken to mean that my friend's relationship with said person was going to be smooth and calm for the most part. I can't think of any RWS correspondence at the moment.

The structure of the reading and these two cards do make me believe that this could be a Tarot deck rather than an Oracle or a Lenormand deck. However, googling the names of those cards barely turned up with anything (expect for The Ocean Oracle, which sincerely doesn't sound like the deck I'm looking for). I know the information given is barely enough to bring a deck to my mind, which is why I'm wondering whether you would happen to know anything...

Thank you very much in advance.

Deanne

I'm wondering if this reading might actually have been done with Clow Cards. They're an oracle deck that was originally used for a tv show (Card Captor Sakura), but some people use them for divination purposes now.

There is a card called The Firey (this spelling).
There isn't a card called The Ocean, but it could be The Wave or The Watery (maybe even The Illusion, as that sounds similar, but that's more of a stretch.
The backs aren't reversible but I know quite a few people who use reversals on all decks, whether the backs are designed that way or not.

Some pictures:
The Firey
The Wave
The Watery
back

*Note that there are 2 versions of this deck - these images are from the Clow deck. There's also a Sakura deck, which has the same pictures and backs but in pink rather than red, yellow, and orange.

kx5

Thank you! That was an interesting idea, my friend says he's not very sure, but he thinks the Clow deck isn't what he saw.

Deanne

Hmm, I don't really have any ideas other than that - The Firey instantly brought Clow cards to mind.

Hope you find the deck you're looking for!

nisaba

So, two years ago a friend of mine had a reading done for him from one of his acquaintances. After the reading he gave me a very lousy description of the names of some cards and their interpretation.

So they could have been anything?

One of the cards he remembers came up reversed, which means that the deck's style allows reversals.

I personally find that all of my decks will do reversals, and all of them will do upright-only. :)

The two cards he remembers are the following cards. The names are likely to be wrong.

So they could really be called anything.

The Fiery Rx - which, considering that his question was about his relatonship with a person, was taken by the reader to mean that the person in question was feeling supressed and blocked from taking action. This sounds very similar to something along the lines of Strength Rx...

Or it could have been the Queen Wands out of ANY Tarot deck. We've all known women like them: the reader might have described her as "fiery", and they tend to suppress and block their men from doing anything other than what THEY want.

The Ocean - which was taken to mean that my friend's relationship with said person was going to be smooth and calm for the most part. I can't think of any RWS correspondence at the moment.

It could be any of the Court Cards in the Cups suit, all of which show the Ocean in the background, and all of which *could* indicate calmness, and teh reader again might have mentioned the ocean specifically, and not bothered naming the card.

I think it's quite likely to be a Tarot deck. But there are thousands of decks, and nearly all of them could fit that description.

kx5

Indeed, nisaba. I am aware of the fact that this is sort of a wild goose chase since it can be literally anything, my personal curiosity forced to give it one more try by seeing whether anyone has any idea though :D

Yes, reversals are truly up to the reader and the reader's chosen reading style. However, since some Tarot decks' card backs do not encourage reversals, I assume that it's likely that the reader was handling a 'properly' reversal-prone deck.

Admittedly I hadn't considered the things you said, so thank you! :)

gregory

Maybe the Psy Cards ?

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/psycards/

I can't be bothered to get them out now to see if there are names that match at all - but this one comes up quite often when people remember readings and can't work out the deck but are sure it was tarot- and it turns out not to be. It's a very interesting deck, actually !

karen0205

Maybe the Psy Cards ?

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/psycards/

I can't be bothered to get them out now to see if there are names that match at all - but this one comes up quite often when people remember readings and can't work out the deck but are sure it was tarot- and it turns out not to be. It's a very interesting deck, actually !

There aren't cards in the PsyCard deck titled ocean or firey. It is a great deck though!

I immediately thought of the Clow Cards. There are several
versions of those. It still might that deck.
There are tarot decks that have a single word for the meaning
of the cards. It could be one of those.

You should look for decks with keywords, like the Osho Zen deck.
I bet then you might find it.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/osho-zen/

-