In your language...?

Golden Moon

moderndayruth said:
I speak Italian.

eta:
p.s. and i do have the ambition to learn Spanish, because its beautiful and rich, but i am taking a break from studying languages right now, so its going to be sometime later

I at one point was studying Italian because it's so similar to Spanish, but the grammar was one huge puzzle I could not figure out. Other than that, Italian is a beautiful language:).

moderndayruth

Golden Moon said:
I at one point was studying Italian because it's so similar to Spanish, but the grammar was one huge puzzle I could not figure out. Other than that, Italian is a beautiful language:).

Ohh, i think it will be far easier for you than for the rest of us - my landlord's gf was/is Spaniard and i spent most of the time with her and an her sis - it was really somehow natural for them... the grammar might seem a bit overbearing in the beginning, but than once you memorized declinations and irregular verbs, its really not that complicated (at least in comparison with Slavic languages - i am still fighting with Serbian after all these years... With Russian, you have a rule and than like 50 pages of exceptions; with my beloved Serbian - God only knows! :rolleyes: )

Golden Moon

moderndayruth said:
Ohh, i think it will be far easier for you than for the rest of us - my landlord's gf was/is Spaniard and i spent most of the time with her and an her sis - it was really somehow natural for them... the grammar might seem a bit overbearing in the beginning, but than once you memorized declinations and irregular verbs, its really not that complicated (at least in comparison with Slavic languages - i am still fighting with Serbian after all these years... With Russian, you have a rule and than like 50 pages of exceptions; with my beloved Serbian - God only knows! :rolleyes: )

Yes, after putting Italian aside, I went to learn French... Despite that the pronunciation is a whole different thing, the grammar is so much like Spanish grammar and the spelling of words its.. mmmhhhh, so so. But the spelling of Italian words is in some ways easy. I could say that I'm little to somewhat fluent in French thanks to my Spanish language background and if I see a text written in Italian, Portuguese, & French, I can make out what it says. I'd have to agree on Slavic languages eehhh. But I guess everyone asks and interpret their cards for themselves in their native language. Kinda like a comfort zone:).

Nachtigall

It has never occurred to me to use language other than my own while communicating with tarot. Why should I?
Besides, I'm dealing with foreign languages (German and English) in my everyday life too much already...

moderndayruth

Nachtigall said:
It has never occurred to me to use language other than my own while communicating with tarot. Why should I?
Lol, you don't have to! Some of us are bilingual and some read for sitters in languages other than our native tongues, hence the discussion.
For example, if you are doing a reading for someone in English/German, do you ask the question (in your head that is) in Russian or Ukrainian or you ask the question in the language you'll deliver the reading?
When i am doing exchanges here, sometimes i just repeat the question in English while i am shuffling the cards, sometimes i repeat it in some other language... it depends on the question itself and on the mood too.

Metafizzypop

Like some others here, I also speak Italian. I learned Italian and English at the same time, Italian maybe a little sooner. But I never do tarot readings in Italian, since English suits me fine these days (I live in the USA).

The only time I could see using Italian for readings is when working with Sibilla cards. In that case, I'd say the language and the cards go together perfectly.

Aside from that, I think the best language to use when reading cards is the one the reader is most familiar and comfortable with. The more familiar a person is with a language, the easier it is to understand its idioms and subtleties.