Incense Favs????

greatdane

OK, I have a love/hate relationship with incense. Some I love, others give me a headache. But I want to try more and thought I could get some ideas from ATers.

What types of incense do you like when you do a reading?

What types do you find relaxing? Recharging?

What types are easy on people with allergies or who get headaches from really strong scents?

Natural incense?

THANKS FOR ALLL YOUR THOUGHTS! I can't just start buying a ton, so needed some ideas.

GD

Laura Borealis

Shoyeido is my favorite brand. Really nice quality and it doesn't bother my asthma. It never gave me a headache, either. I do get headaches from a lot of commercial scents, like nearly every mainstream perfume. But Shoyeido never bothered me.

Unlike a lot of incense, the sticks do not have a bamboo core -- which I really appreciate. I want to smell incense not a burning stick of bamboo.

It's been a few years since I've had any, though. I used to get free samples from a sales rep, where I used to work -- I haven't found it for sale where I live now. I can't remember the name of my favorite one, though I remember it was one with agarwood in it. Agar is just heavenly.

I do remember the name of one of the sandalwood blends -- White Cloud -- which I also really liked. I adore sandalwood if it's a good blend.

A caveat, Shoyeido can be super-expensive. But some of the blends are very affordable. And they have assortments and sample packs:
http://www.shoyeido.com/category/incense-samplers-assortments

amethyst57

brand names i like are HEM, Triloka, Native Scent, & especially Escentials Essences...pretty cheap at amazon...
I burn mainly sticks, and usually depends on my mood, not what i'm
doing....patchouli, sandalwood, rose, lavender, or white sage...

brightcrazystar

Jasmine and Rose - make a combinations of oil from flowers or get your own, and dilute with 100 proof vodka and distilled water. Getting oil from flowers is easy. store with a spring of hyssop in the spritzer bottle. This is a great perfume component and can even be worn. Making essential oils is easy, and you can probably find a good recipe online.

The perfume is made to mostly evaporate the moisture. Portions:
25% essential oils
70% 100 proof vodka
5% distilled water (DO not use spring or tap water! no flavors or sparkles.)

Styrax and Frankincense and Myrhh make a great smoky incense to compliment it. Mix them well in a mortar and pestle. The consecration powers of this is VERY intense when you get the blend right. I tend to use:

3 parts: Styrax
5 parts: Frankincense
8 parts: Myrhh

(Styrax, Frankencense, and Myrrh are also known as Su He Xiang, Ru Xiang, and Mo Yao in Chinese Medicine. Styrax opens the Wu Chia orifices and the ways the Tao Tan Tien, Frankincense moves the Qi, and Mo Yao moves the blood. These are a traditional San Pao, or Three-fold Treasure in Taoist Magic, possibly the origin of their combined use in Judeo-Christian Rites, where Styrax is "gold".)

The whole of these together smell divine, unify well, and works wonders for fairly cheap. Purify with perfumed essence and consecrate with incense.

greatdane

Thanks Laura, Rockersgurl And Bcs!

Really helpful info. Thanks Laura re the scents that don't bother you. I don't have asthma, but some scents (particularly those with chemicals) give me a headache. I am checking out the links. OOOH Brightcrazystar, I must try that. I'm not very handy, but hoping even I can't miss up your great recipe!

Rockersgurl, I didn't even know of a white sage one! Any special brand? I love sage.

LeaRoseQuartz

My favorite incense is the brand HEM. It's made in India and isn't expensive. It's on a bamboo stick, but that's fine with me. I'm burning lavender right now, to put me in a good mood. Some of my other favorites are benzoin, ginger, amber, rosemary, vanilla, frankincense, pine, sandal, eucalyptus, patchouli amber, forest, and good luck. I burn them a couple times a day. They make my house feel exotic, like a temple. My least favorites are white sage (don't smell like sage), aloe vera (burns my sinus) and orange blossom (hated it, smelled like burning paper). There are many other scents of their's that I have and like and there are many other one's that I want to try in the future. Sometimes I buy them at the mall or online. I've tried other brands, but HEM to me is the best.

greatdane

Thanks Learosequartz!

That's why I decided to ask. I know different people have different favs, but nice to know how people have reacted to certain brands or scents. I'm sensitive re scents, but love incense. I just can't seem to find a great brand.

BodhiSeed

I love incense and my long-time favorite is Satya Sai Baba Nag Champa. My meditation room is quite small, so I often cut the sticks in half or thirds, and this way it doesn't become so overpowering. Thanks to this forum I also discovered the HEM brand of incense; the patchouli scent is my favorite of theirs. My mentor burns wood chips called Palo Santo. They have a nice smell, but I prefer them outdoors as they can be a bit smoky - nice to have for medicine wheel ceremonies and such though. This shop carries it in chips, sticks and cones:
http://www.shamansmarket.com/-strse-380/Palo-Santo--dsh--Shredded/Detail.bok

Laura Borealis

I'm glad you brought this up, greatdane. brightcrazystar's advice sounds lovely, and how nice would it be to use something you made yourself?

I'm going to look into some of these brands, too. Several people mentioned Hem. I googled it and I believe I've found the one my neighbor uses... on the other side of a rather thin shared wall...!

Attachments

• Hem_Incense.jpg
    Hem_Incense.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 155

BodhiSeed

laura_borealis said:
I googled it and I believe I've found the one my neighbor uses... on the other side of a rather thin shared wall...!
:D Too funny! :D