Influences Over Cards....

crystal09

I've never posted before, I've mostly been a board shadow that came here to learn. I've been questioning something and I figured a few thoughts from those here couldn't hurt...

I've asked a friend to do a reading for me. Normally I would do it myself but I am too personally involved to believe I am not influencing the reading. My friend isn't personally involved but feels too strongly about the situation to feel comfortable doing the reading for me.

Has anyone else ever run into anything like this?

Tara2007

crystal09 said:
I've never posted before, I've mostly been a board shadow that came here to learn. I've been questioning something and I figured a few thoughts from those here couldn't hurt...

I've asked a friend to do a reading for me. Normally I would do it myself but I am too personally involved to believe I am not influencing the reading. My friend isn't personally involved but feels too strongly about the situation to feel comfortable doing the reading for me.

Has anyone else ever run into anything like this?

Greetings to you....

I think that many of us here would say a big yes to your question.
For myself, I have had this happen many times. My own readings can drive me crazy over the outcomes or the coming energies or whatever...and when reading for someone I am close to it can be rather daunting as well.

My advice? I'd say to encourage your friend to do the reading for you. And add the provision that he/she will draw some clarifier cards at the end of the reading.

I use this method to add clarity to a situation that I'm very close to....

I pull cards for the spread as usual, and then when I go over the meanings of the cards drawn, I choose one that is the most difficult to figure out. Usually it's the outcome card. I do a 4-card "detail of card" reading to give me further insight to that particular card. Here it is:

1. What this card means
2. What it does not mean
3. An action this card brings
4. The outcome of that action

Sometimes nothing can make things crystal clear (no pun intended), but I have found this method to be very helpful. Especially if I am wondering if that very positive outcome, like the 9 of cups or The Sun is truly all that great!

Good luck to you.....

Love & Light

coeur

I do tend to read too much into the positive about situations that I want to be positive, but I am equally confounded when terrible situations have supposedly positive outcomes. I simply become very indecisive when it comes to personal readings I am heavily involved in--thus the reading has a neutral impact and not very helpful at all. At the same time, I have found recording readings to be very very helpful, especially while dealing with a long term conflict. I will do a Celtic Cross spread and then I will do my usual three-card daily readings. When one of the cards in my three card daily reading shows up, I go back and mark its position on the Celtic Cross. That way, I know if I'm getting warmer or if I am falling into my weak spot. I think it really helps with progression and it helps you tackle everything one card at a time.

crystal09

Thanks both of you for the input, I'll definately take it into consideration.

Tara would you frown on me doing the reading for myself if I used clarifier cards? I still have much hesitation on doing it for myself, which probably means I shouldn't.

I should spend more time with my deck and become comfortable and then revisit this situation to see how I feel.

Moonbow

Hello crystal 09, welcome to Aeclectic,

The use of clarifying cards is a personal choice and you will find mixed views on whether or not people use them so you need to decide this for yourself. On occasion I have used them, but rarely as I prefer to read the cards initially pulled. As for personal readings, these are difficult to do but again it's down to the individual to decide. If you feel you cannot be objective enough then perhaps your friend can help out.

Alternatively, you could post your reading in Your Readings, along with your own interpretation and then let the memebers give their take, it's a great way to learn because others often see cards differently.

Tara2007

crystal09 said:
Thanks both of you for the input, I'll definately take it into consideration.

Tara would you frown on me doing the reading for myself if I used clarifier cards? I still have much hesitation on doing it for myself, which probably means I shouldn't.

I should spend more time with my deck and become comfortable and then revisit this situation to see how I feel.

You can use clarifier cards for any reading you do or anyone else does it is up to you no matter who is pulling the cards. But you also might remember that if you are confused to begin with, pulling more cards doesn't always help. Especially if you're using a larger spread to begin with.

You might want to keep the main reading as small as possible. I have found that for my own questions, sometimes pulling one card for an answer is the best idea. And you can always add clarifiers if you want to then.

The good news is that when you doubt the answer - you tend to look into it all the more and that in itself may be the best bet.

I don't think it hurts to give it a try.

Good luck!

WalesWoman

What you might want to do, is do your reading, write down what it means to you and then post it in my readings once you get enough posts. That way you can get more objective inputs from other readers, tho' yours may still end up being the one that is truest.

The benefits would be seeing the cards from different perspectives and gaining new insights in to various ways the cards could be interpreted.

It's always tough to read for things that have a lot of emotional impact and investment, because you can't give yourself the distance to be objective.

What if you pretended you were reading this question for someone you didn't know?

Skysteel

crystal09 said:

Greetings, crystal.
- :)

crystal09 said:
Normally I would do it myself but I am too personally involved to believe I am not influencing the reading.

Is that necessarily a bad thing? After all, you certainly influence the situation.

crystal09

Skysteel said:
Greetings, crystal.
- :)

Is that necessarily a bad thing? After all, you certainly influence the situation.

I don't want to influence the situation so much that I "throw off" the reading and interpret something I wasn't meant to. I hope that makes sense. I feel like because I already have an idea in my head of how I want it to go and what I want to hear... I'm too 1 sided.

Skysteel

crystal09 said:
I don't want to influence the situation so much that I "throw off" the reading and interpret something I wasn't meant to.

How you interpret a reading will still be down to you, whoever does the reading.