Insecurity

leelee

What cards would you interprete as "insecurity"

Could the Devil be insecurity isis about obsession and insecurity can sometimes be an obsession even if it is uncontrollable

Thoughts?

nicky

I can see where I think you are coming from- the Devil 'obsession' being a result of insecurity... that would be akin to saying the Tower card is about insecurity as the people who's paradigm is being knocked over built it because they are insecure, if that makes any sense.

There are other cards that I think reflect insecurity more-
7 of wands reversed for example.

leelee

I came to this conclusion as I have done a reading on a relationship for someone.
For the question What he deosn't like about her I drew the Devil -

I happen to know that she is very insecure based on past experiences with her previous boyfriends.

Aladdin

In major arcana terms the Hermit constantly searching for wisdom could be deemed as 'insecure'.
The Wheel of Fortune, similarly so in that not every rotation does the reader a good turn every time.
In minor arcana the 5 of rods, 7 of swords, Page of swords, 6 of cups and 5 of pentacles could indicate insecurity under some circumstances.

nicky

leelee said:
I came to this conclusion as I have done a reading on a relationship for someone.

I happen to know that she is very insecure based on past experiences with her previous boyfriends.

For 'what he doesn't like about her' the Devil may be that he thinks she will be overbearing in a relationship.. it can symbolize bondage and addictions.

Perhaps if she is insecure, he senses she will want to 'trap' him.

nisaba

leelee said:

This is where knowing too much about a client can get in the way of the reading. Just read the cards.

Presumably you haven't actually slept with her? The boyfriend may have done so. She may (or may not) have a ravenous sexual appetite that you don't know about that the boyfriend finds off-putting. Or he doesn't like her attitudes towards sex in general.

It helps to read the cards, not to read what you *think* you know about someone. Cards are there to give you information you don't know, not as a backup for what you already know.

leelee

Thanks nisaba - I actually dont know her I have never met her in person.
It is the male in this relationship that I am friends with. This idea of insecurity was taken from his own statement.

Yes you are right - I do have a bad habit of reading what I already know. I think it stems from my personality - I like to be right ALL the time :)
You may be right I have no idea if it realtes to there sex life - personally for myself the Devil has been associated with Lust, lust and more lust - nice at the time but became obsessive when I wasn't wanted anymore <sigh> I was tryign to look at other interpretations for the Devil besides sexual.

Thankyou again - as always I look forward to your replies whether in my own posts or others

Cheers

Shebelle

I think there may be 2 different questions here. The first is about what cards might symbolize insecurity. I am not sure I'd agree that the Devil would have anything to do with insecurity. I would choose ill-dignified Wands or maybe an ill-dignified Emporer, even. I might also include the 9 of Swords or 10 of Swords in that category.

As for the reading you did, I agree with the poster who said that he might not like that she is either controlling or overly needy. Insecurity can push people to become tyrants in a relationship, to constantly need feedback, to need constant contact with someone, or to be jealous. To me, the Devil can also mean sexual stuff...and unlike Nisaba, I will say that maybe the problem is a lack of desire on either (or both) of their parts. Maybe she has body hangups and can't really "let go" when it comes to sex?

hopena

Eight and Nine of Swords, Seven of Swords...

Shebelle

Ah, fancy meeting you here, Hopena ;) Good call on the 7 and 8 of Swords. The 8 of Swords is FOR SURE a good card for describing that caught up feeling we all get from time to time.