Insights?

Raziel

I just purchased my deck a few weeks ago, and I'm confused... at first it was scary accurate. Like, coinciding with dreams that weren't my own, and all sorts of scary stuff. But now it's stopped giving me anything I can interpret. I've checked up on meanings, I've looked into the cards themselves for impressions, I've shuffled, reordered, spent time with the deck on my person, and done about as much reading (both with cards and on them) as a person can, and I'm still greatly perplexed... Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

mystic mal

Maybe its because you should have stopped at your first reading and let that one play out.Doing it time and time again will confuse you if it entails the same subject...let them lay for a while and go back to them in a few weeks.

Raziel

Understood, though I do ask a wide variety of questions. I even let it rest a day or two. Guess I'll have to go longer.

Wisdom Moon

Insights

Raziel,
Understaning that you are fairly new to tarot, but I do have one suggestion. As a "seasoned" reader, an extra deck can be most helpful to all of us who are passionate about tarot.
Choose an additional deck that is graphically unlike your first one and do a comparative spread. Pull all the cards from the first deck and then go through the seond deck and pull the same cards you pulled from the first deck. For instance, if you pulled the Queen of Wands, pull that exact card from the second deck and so on. Concentrate on the graphics, interpretating the images on the cards. Combine your intuition with the traditional meanings.
Wisdom Moon

mysticmonkey

It can be hard when you are itching to work with the cards but don't have any burning questions or just the same old ones.
Sometimes readings just hit you between the eyes they are so obvious others take a bit more work.

Maybe you could try doing a few readings about world events or silly stuff and of course there's always reading for others. ;)
There's a great list of possible questions that I think I got from this site but I can't remember which sub-forum it's in.

Doing a daily draw is good and I also enjoy meditating on a card as you tend to get a more rounded understanding of each card then.
A lot of it though happens over time as you read more little added layers of meaning will be added to the cards.

willowfox

Specific questions usually get pacific answers, idle questions usually get fuzzy answers.
By all means use your cards everyday, but just don't expect spot on answers when asking out of curiosity.

frelkins

Raziel I agree - have you tried a 1 card daily draw and keeping that in a little notebook or journal? Even if you write just 1 sentence about the card in 6 weeks you will benefit!

Sophie

Try reading on a regular basis for current affairs and TV shows (serials), noting down cards and interpretations and checking them against developments - this will refine your analysis and prediction skills. Try also reading for characters in books or fairy stories - I used to do that, and then found out someone had written a very good book about such readings: Tarot Tells the Tale, by James Ricklef. It's a series of 3-card readings on fairytale characters - it's an excellent learning tool and good fun too.

I also recommend that, as a beginner, you stick to short readings - 1 to 3 cards maximum - until you feel totally at home with those.

circlewalker

Raziel said:
I've checked up on meanings, I've looked into the cards themselves for impressions, I've shuffled, reordered, spent time with the deck on my person, and done about as much reading (both with cards and on them) as a person can, and I'm still greatly perplexed...
You know, there is such a thing as trying too hard - joggers don't become full marathon stars overnight. Working with tarot you use muscles you may not have used in a long long time - fatigue can build up and as far as possible that is just what you're being told by your cards. Take a break from the heavy stuff and just enjoy a gentle stroll for a while - perhaps treat yourself to one of the many good books on tarot. I remember spending many happy hours looking through junk shops looking for just the right box for my main deck....it was a useful and needed diversion and when I got back to reading everything seemed much clearer.

in light

cw

thorhammer

Wonderful suggestion have been made above, and hell, maybe I'm missing the point here, but this is my response to this same situation. I have a deck that I recently started to work with. It gave me two or three really beautiful, useful readings and then - RUBBISH! It's also my current study deck, so I just thought, okay, no readings, just journalling and summary and meditation. I'm going to (one day) start reading the associated mythology and hopefully then I can understand the cards better. I think in about two years, if I stick to it, I'll be able to read with this deck! :p Till then, it's my other ones for reading!

Good luck! \m/ Kat