Is it a goodbye to the Bright Idea deck??

shadowdancer

I had read this may be going out of print in the not too distant future. Certainly tarotgarden do not have it, nor does the Book Depository.

If it is likely to be out of print it is a great shame. It's possible it was not really aimed at the tarot market, and could could have missed out on reaching an audience who would have appreciated it. The book cover does suggest it was classed as a business tool. (Can't remember the exact words, but tarot or new age or anything remotely similar did not feature).

I would suggest to anyone who likes using decks with a modern twist, with lots of story telling ability to consider snapping this up should they come across it reasonably priced. Believe me, it has a lot of credibility as a readable tarot deck.
It is one of my most used decks, and was lucky enough to get it for less than £5 recently, thus giving me a back up/spare deck.

This is one deck that deserves a lot more by way of mention than it has had.

Anyone else have any thoughts about it?

Davina

RiccardoLS

I don't know about any OOP.
By I can count as a fan of Mark McElroy approach to Tarot and creativity.

Imho, the BID is a perfect example of an approach to Tarot (and not just Tarot) that can be creative and empowering, without being necessarely "spiritual".

little ric

ana luisa

I really hope it's NOT going OOP. It does offer a new "color" to Tarot and it can be very ecclectic. I, for one, use it as a oracle.

karen0205

It's a really interesting looking deck.
Anyone know where you can see all the cards?

pippi

I heard months ago that it was already OOP. I just checked Tarot Garden, and they do have it listed as OOP.

MarkMcElroy

Rip Bid

Hi, folks.

The Bright Idea Deck is, indeed, out of print.

Thanks for the kind comments on the deck. If you like it, please snap up a copy, as Llewellyn will not be reprinting these.

Years ago, when the deck was first released, I hoped:

a) Tarot people would recognize it as a Tarot deck and embrace it, and

b) non-Tarot people would embrace it as a brainstorming deck (and, in turn, perhaps, be turned on to Tarot), and

c) the deck would be used in places where Tarot is not usually welcome, or be used with audiences who might be frightened by or concerned about the use of traditional Tarot.

I called the set the "The Idea Deck: A Brainstorming Tarot." Had that title been used, people searching for "brainstorming tools" or "Tarot" would have found the deck.

Unfortunately, the publisher insisted on "The Bright Idea Deck," which contains neither the word "brainstorming" nor "Tarot," and, as a result, neither target audience had much of a chance of finding these cards!

That said: whenever I've done brainstorming, creativity, or creative writing workshops with the deck, it has sold very well, and people who actually work with them really seem to enjoy them.

M.