Is it disrespectful to play cards with tarot cards?

Laurelle

My tarot reader friend, her daughter and I just played a game the other day. She shuffled her deck, spread out the cards in a fan and we each drew a card and held it over our head without looking at it. We had to guess the card we were holding by the other players verbal clues. We did this 3 times and then laid out those cards to be interpreted for what going on in our lives at the time. It was fun and became a little tarot lesson for her daughter. :)

I love this idea! It's like charades. My daughter will love playing it. We play Go Fish with our decks. It's a good way to get her oriented with the cards.

nisaba

Tarot solitaire is fun, and is a great way for you to become familiar with your deck and absorb its imagery without working too hard to memorise it.

Tarot Snap is also fun, especially if you are all using different decks and the images on the same cards is different! This one really works as a brain-training exercise.

Darkmage

No.

Tarocchi or Tarock is still played all over southern Europe. It's the ancestor of games like whist and bridge. Look around--there are a million variants and it's not hard to find the rules in English.

I remember PBS News Hour did a segment about retirement in France. The people in the rec room were playing Tarocchi--with a classic Marseille deck. They sell decks specifically for playing this as well with the standard playing card suits and then 22 trumps. I have one, it's nice.

Tanga

Why should it be disrespectful. And to whom?

The "disrespect" will only be a phenomenon inside your own head. So, it's up to you whether it's disrespectful or not. :)

I for one thing card games would be lots more fun if the cards were prettier!

Achlys

Tarot originated I believe as an actual playing card game, so I see no reason why that would be disrespectful per se.
I would probably use a different deck than the decks I use for readings, but otherwise I don't see an issue with it.

And playing cards can certainly be used for readings as well as for play, so in a sense they're not too different from tarot, either.
The format is a little different but i've known some cartomancers who use regular playing cards and their accuracy is dead-on.

celticnoodle

But that naturally begs the question: is it disrespectful to the deck? Would it have consequences? I don't think I'd do it with my gorgeous Legacy of the Divine deck, and in any case I don't even play cards. lol Just an academic curiosity. :D

Nope. I don't think so. In fact, I think quite the opposite! It would be good to play with them and get your good, happy energies in the cards!

My tarot cards are handled often by my customers and family & friends and I think as long as they are positive people, and look through them with interest and not judging them as a devils tool, they will pick up the good energies. Playing cards is a fun and playful way to enjoy your time. I imagine that just adds more positive energy to the cards.

My 2cents worth anyway. :cool:

Ace

is it disrespectful to the deck? Would it have consequences? I don't think I'd do it with my gorgeous Legacy of the Divine deck, and in any case I don't even play cards. lol Just an academic curiosity. :D

All joking aside, I don't see why not. Not with a collector deck, but otherwise, why not? I think it is time we put to rest the myths of needing to REVERE our decks. They are a tool and tools should be respected, but they are also (Mostly) easily replaceable and should be used and played with and we all need too lighten up!

barb

Phoenix11

My tarot reader friend, her daughter and I just played a game the other day. She shuffled her deck, spread out the cards in a fan and we each drew a card and held it over our head without looking at it. We had to guess the card we were holding by the other players verbal clues. We did this 3 times and then laid out those cards to be interpreted for what going on in our lives at the time. It was fun and became a little tarot lesson for her daughter. :)

It was fun! and the three cards did make an accurate reading for all of us as well :thumbsup:

HallowedNight

I just played solitaire with my deck for the first time, and it was loads of fun! Harder than regular solitaire, with the extra column for the majors, but I still played for two hours. I almost won, but not quite. :'p I also feel like I really bonded with my deck, and it's nice to see cards that don't normally show themselves during readings. c:

So no, not disrespectful at all! More like great fun that makes great energies. :'D