Is It Time for Another Deck?

Tarotlocqueen

I apologize in advance if topic has already been posted; however, I am in need of serious assistance. I have been using the Black Cats Tarot deck for all of my readings (it is my only deck). I have found that this deck does not always give me the yes or no answers that I am desperately seeking. For instance, I asked the tarot if I should change my career path using the celtic cross spread. I drew the Page of Wands as my outcome card! A more seasoned tarot reader suggested that I should shop around for another deck. What's going on? Is it the way that I am interpreting the cards? Should I be using a different tarot card spread or is it just time to purchase another deck? If it is time to purchase a new deck, how would I go about doing that? Thanks.

FaintlyMacabre

I think another deck is always nice. Let me say there are far better readers that I here, but maybe it is the question that is the problem. It is my understanding that yes/no isn't generally the best way to use tarot.

Maybe a better question would be: What would happen if...? And also maybe use a few more cards to clarify things.

That said, another deck might "click" too. I have bought cat decks but for some reason they don't work so well for me (not saying they don't work for others).

Tarotlocqueen

Thank you FaintlyMacabre for that interesting perspective. Do you have any suggestions about how I should go about selecting a new deck?

FaintlyMacabre

Thank you FaintlyMacabre for that interesting perspective. Do you have any suggestions about how I should go about selecting a new deck?

I'm not sure anyone has a foolproof recipe but it helps to try to see as many cards online as possible. Now there are the YouTube videos which often show the whole deck. When I first tried to learn tarot, the Robin Wood was very popular....let's just say it has now been gone for a long time!

I have a Universal Waite which is useful for reference but there are other decks that I use more. And still other decks that I want to use. I once spent some time with the Medieval Scapini, for instance, which was a very interesting experience but I wouldn't recommend it as a first reading deck. (Like, oh no! There's Pope Leo X again!)

Diana

earthair

Unless it's a non reversible deck, all decks will give a clear yes/no answer if you use a specific yes/no spread like the Zain 5 card spread for that purpose.

Google 'cc zain yes no tarot spread' for the free to download USGames pdf file. It's on page 44.

Although I put the distant past card on my left. The spread is brilliant because you will always get a clear answer, and more importantly, the reason WHY, and events causing the outcome. :cool2:

reall

for simple questions I draw one card!:)) and if need clarification few more extra cards thatI place at side and interpret!:)

best time for new deck is when you think so!^^ find a deck you feel like working with and have some extra money to buy it!^^XD lolz :))

and about what you should buy? depend on your personal preferences!
is there specific tradition you wish to work with? rw,ct,m
your personal preference about specific topic
fantasy, angels,animals etc if you like cats there is new cat deck from LS soon inspired by movie stars!:))
or avoiding specific topic nudity/cruelty/ etc

artstyle;classic, modern, abstract, realistic etc
blacknwhite/colored
borders no/if yes what style?
major numbers and text on cards, title of court cards etc
card back reversable/no etc

it help to see img of all cards before ordering?:)
check on Tarot's Gallery Albums/ google rozamiratarot
and youtube!:))

FaintlyMacabre

You can, of course, use Tarot for yes/no, but you can also flip a coin. That was the logic behind it not being the best use of it.

Diana

crystalrose

New decks are always fun, but I think the bigger issue for you is that you're asking the wrong questions. Tarot is notoriously tricky for yes/no, especially on huge issues like "should I switch careers?" For big questions like that, instead of yes/no, I ask tarot for the pros and cons of the decision, plus some cards of advice. That's usually enough to give a good overview of my dilemma.

Celtic Cross is also a tricky spread. I personally never use it. There are tons of spreads on this site that are much more useful. And I even have a couple books of spreads as well. Experiment first b/c I doubt the problem lies entirely with your deck.

I love to collect decks myself, though. I can admit some decks are easier to read and stimulate my intuition more than others. I switch decks on a regular basis. Easiest way to pick something new is have a look at the collections on the site and see what draws your eye. Read reviews, google the card images, and then make a decision. If you're a beginner, the usual recommendation is to go for something that closely mirrors RWS. Other than that, pick something you enjoy looking at.

Beth-Anne

If you wish for a new deck them its time. Use the internet to find one that you like. Read reviews on how others have felt reading with it. And if you have a local shop buy in person.

And try other spreads. I almost never use cc. I mostly use 3 cards. Sometimes 1 or 5. Rarely 7. And read up some on how to ask questions, yes/no spreads, yes/no cards.

Etene

Consider trying the deck interview spread. It may give you some insight before you retire your go-to and start shopping.