Is the Lenormand Revival Here to Stay?

Barleywine

I've read a few recent comments from people on-line who think we're in a newbie-driven "Lenormand bubble" right now, and that it will eventually go bust when everyone loses interest. (They also bemoan the "New Age" spin that's being put on some of the decks, but that's another thread :)) I'm not so sure. I've been reading tarot for over 40 years now, in a mostly Crowleyan esoteric way, and upon discovering Lenormand I feel like I've found the "motherlode" of predictive card-reading methods. Must be that its clean. elegant, no-BS directness appeals to my Moon-in-Capricorn literal-mindedness. Not that we can't carry our own personal load of BS over from other systems, of course, but it seems to be the interpretive clarity that draws people to it. I've only just started with it, and I'm already a believer! Thoughts, opinions . . . ?

greatdane

the short answer...no!

It's not like this is something new. It's been around awhile and people are just taking interest again. Hmmm? I think the same happened with tarot. Was tarot this popular twenty or thirty years ago? Was there the plethora of decks to choose from?

I do not think Lenormand is here to take tarot's place. I have, read, and love, both. But just like there was a big resurgence in tarot decks that were available, with more coming all the time, I think we are seeing the same regarding Lenormand. For those who think oh, it's a fad and look at all the new decks and that will stop soon, has the vast availability of many more tarot decks stopped others from creating one?

I am surprised there are not even more Lenormand decks being created. One, simple images that an artist can stylize (although when they get too "creative", I find it distracting, part of what I love about Lenormand is the simplicity) and two, much easier to create 36 rather than 78 cards.

So, no, I don't think it's going away or is a trend anymore than tarot is, or was considered, I'm sure, when it started being more widely-read.

Have both Lenormand and tarot, LOVE both Lenormand and tarot, and that won't change!

kalliope

I don't really want to place bets on how long it will stay, but I do think you're on the right track as to why it's popular now. While there are definitely tarot readers out there who read in a predictive fashion, for a long while now most of mainstream tarot (at least in the online world) has focused on the esoteric or psychological. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, it's mostly how I myself approach and enjoy tarot!

But I do think the current appeal of Lenormand is because to the current crop of readers who are accustomed to the introspectiveness of Tarot, Lenormand is refreshing and appears to offer something different. People like new and different! "Clean, elegant, no-bs, direct, more literal" as you say; more concrete, more predictive.

I think it's because in Tarot, we already have a deep and fully fleshed out tool for self-analysis, spiritual divination, psychological advice, etc. But we're so used to reading it that way, it's hard to switch gears. So when we want something more literal, we desire to have a tool custom-made for that purpose, too. Lenormand is beautifully filling that niche at the moment.

kalliope

I've also seen some astute comments online about how when time are uncertain, as with the economic troubles in recent years, people want more concrete advice, assurances about their circumstances and futures, and straight-out predictions from their readings. This probably goes a long way in explaining the resurgence of the more "fortune-telling" types of cartomancy systems like Lenormand.

greatdane

Interesting points, Kalliope Very insightful

I agree with some of your points, absolutely. However, for me as a reader, I see Lenormand less as a fortune telling device and more as a practical, to the point, advisor. I don't think Lenormand tells one's future, I'm just talking from my perspective, as that's all I have :), but is more about perhaps showing a path one is on, offering how to AVOID, rather than just stand there and take it, advice. I see it as not really more predictive than tarot and I have read on practical and esoteric questions with both. But I do see Lenormand as more to the point. The fact it has less cards and simple images that speak a universal language is helpful and I think makes Lenormand perhaps more accessible to some OR offers something different in the way of reading. But I DO agree with the points you made. I guess it depends on the reader and what each of us look for and how we read, whether tarot, Lenormand or any oracle.

Barleywine

It's not like this is something new. It's been around awhile and people are just taking interest again. Hmmm? I think the same happened with tarot. Was tarot this popular twenty or thirty years ago? Was there the plethora of decks to choose from?

I do not think Lenormand is here to take tarot's place. I have, read, and love, both. But just like there was a big resurgence in tarot decks that were available, with more coming all the time, I think we are seeing the same regarding Lenormand. For those who think oh, it's a fad and look at all the new decks and that will stop soon, has the vast availability of many more tarot decks stopped others from creating one?

I am surprised there are not even more Lenormand decks being created. One, simple images that an artist can stylize (although when they get too "creative", I find it distracting, part of what I love about Lenormand is the simplicity) and two, much easier to create 36 rather than 78 cards.

So, no, I don't think it's going away or is a trend anymore than tarot is, or was considered, I'm sure, when it started being more widely-read.

Have both Lenormand and tarot, LOVE both Lenormand and tarot, and that won't change!

Yes, I know the history. Tarot 40 years ago was swept up into the great dustball that was populist New Age esotericism, along with astrology, channeling, skrying, aura-reading, palm reading, numerology, navel-gazing, et half-baked al. It was hugely popular for a while, but the lack of any kind of broad-based networking meant it was isolated to local (and mostly urban/suburban) pockets. It did not have the phalanx of scholarly proponents that astrology did, so it receded a bit in the public eye as the hippies became more interrested in making a living. I wasn't commenting on the viability of Lenormand itself, only on the perception of some that the current interest may be a short-lived fad. Regarding the current abundance of tarot decks, I credit that as much to the self-publishing boom and the profit motive as I do to a pressing need for any more decks. We are a consumer-driven, crowd-following, convenience-minded society; if it were otherwise, we couldn't have floated such relative heavyweights as U.S. Games, Llewellyn or Lo Scarabeo.

kalliope

I agree with you, too, Greatdane. Even if you take out the predictive aspects, Lenormand is still straightforward, literal, specific, and refreshing in its tone of advice!

I'm just saying that as for the current popularity, I do think that its reputation as predictive has factored into its mystique and appeal due to the factors I mentioned. (That reputation is due to its history and the tone of its traditional meanings, regardless of how one chooses to read it today.) :)

Barleywine

I don't really want to place bets on how long it will stay, but I do think you're on the right track as to why it's popular now. While there are definitely tarot readers out there who read in a predictive fashion, for a long while now most of mainstream tarot (at least in the online world) has focused on the esoteric or psychological. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, it's mostly how I myself approach and enjoy tarot!

But I do think the current appeal of Lenormand is because to the current crop of readers who are accustomed to the introspectiveness of Tarot, Lenormand is refreshing and appears to offer something different. People like new and different! "Clean, elegant, no-bs, direct, more literal" as you say; more concrete, more predictive.

I think it's because in Tarot, we already have a deep and fully fleshed out tool for self-analysis, spiritual divination, psychological advice, etc. But we're so used to reading it that way, it's hard to switch gears. So when we want something more literal, we desire to have a tool custom-made for that purpose, too. Lenormand is beautifully filling that niche at the moment.

Well-said. If I need a Swiss Army knife, tarot is second only to astrology in my personal experience. If I need something to drive a nail, Lenormand comes across as a great single-purpose "hammer." Oh, and unless reading tarot for myself in a self-analytical way, I've never read for anyone who didn't want some kind of predictive insights, even if they were only there for the fun of it. The cards don't always oblige, but the interest has been apparent.

ETA: I can see that the word "prediction" is still a "flash-point" term among ATers. I don't know why it should be, other than for the stigmata associated with it by the general populace. Not everything needs to operate at a rarefied psychological level to be legitimate. Astrology in its forecasting mode is predictive, and no-one bats an eye at the significance of transits and progressions. But as GD says, it's mainly about being aware of and avoiding potentially unpleasant circumstances, not (usually) about whether you're going to win the lottery. "Forewarned is fore-armed."

GryffinSong

For me, I think its far more likely to stick around now that there are more choices available in terms of aesthetic choice. With apologies to folks who like the old decks ... I find the artwork tedious. I would never, ever use Lenormand if that's all that were available. With broader variety, that appeals to a wider taste, those of us who are very picky visually will explore the method and potentially become fans. In fact, my discovery of Rootweaver's Vintage finally has me interested in learning the larger spreads. Simple, easy to see imagery, but in a style that I adore ... perfect for me!

Barleywine

For me, I think its far more likely to stick around now that there are more choices available in terms of aesthetic choice. With apologies to folks who like the old decks ... I find the artwork tedious. I would never, ever use Lenormand if that's all that were available. With broader variety, that appeals to a wider taste, those of us who are very picky visually will explore the method and potentially become fans. In fact, my discovery of Rootweaver's Vintage finally has me interested in learning the larger spreads. Simple, easy to see imagery, but in a style that I adore ... perfect for me!

Interesting observation. I won't look twice at a tarot deck if the artwork isn't expertly executed and visually arresting. But with Lenormand decks the simplicity seems to be the point. Not that I appreciate a bare Sun or Heart floating on a white field, but the best of the traditional images have their own period charm and are perfectly functional. On the other hand, I will say that people I've read for so far have really warmed up to the Gilded Reverie.