Is the Thoth used much for reading?

Nevada

Lilija said:
it's a maze, it's a hall of mirrors, it's an exquisitely crafted funhouse of colors, shadows and light, movement, symbols, history, lunacy, numbers, connections, lines, just everything in the universe, literally...and it just gets deeper and deeper every time I pick it up.
What a perfect description, and so true.

Grigori

It's my favorite reading deck. I rarely use any other, though sometimes if I'm wanting a soft cuddly answer I pick up another deck that's a bit more fluffy. Though having said that, Thothy gave me the most beautiful reading recently that left me all warm and mushy inside, so maybe I should give it more of a chance then also :)

thorhammer

I use many other decks, but this is the deck that is with me all the time, and all the other decks revolve around the Thoth. It has its own gravitational field. Lilija described it well in terms of its atmosphere and imagery; personally, no matter how long I work with it, I just can't seem to think of it in the same way as all my other decks. It has always been, and will always be, an outsider in my collection, because it is so much more . . . everything.

I read wonderfully with it. The readings I get tend to confuse me sometimes as they bring in so much information and I'm still learning to put the layers in order, as it were, but it is a magnificent, unrivalled reading deck. And a powerful tool for self-exploration and understanding.

\m/ Kat

psyphy

ann823 said:
Or is it a good reading deck too?
Ann

Maybe even more than just 'good'.
To me the Thoth is special or different from the rest in whatever way I look at it. As others have said before you could easily waste/invest a lifetime studying it and while it´s obvious complexity might turn people off at some point and it isn´t exactly a ticket to start the journey I don´t think you really need to know 'everything' about this deck to get 'good' readings from it.
To keep it short here, if I had to describe the Thoth with one single word it´d be 'challenge' - in every way, any level. It certainly has been more of a challenge to me than some other relationships I went through during the last 25 years :bugeyed:
My tibetan guru never spoke a lot. Whenever I approached him with a well thought out question, I suddenly knew the answer myself - same with the Thoth.

I love-hate my Thoth to pieces.

Le Fanu

thorhammer said:
It has its own gravitational field
What a wonderful way to put it...

I find my Thoth works best in short sharp bursts of study. I love reading about it; DuQuette/Snuffin/Bk of Thoth, making notes in my notebook, interspersed with it as a reading deck, approached as I would any other, uninhibited by all the mysticism, kabbalah, astrological stuff.

I think, for me, what draws me back to it again and again and again is the artwork, so ann, if you already have this attraction, you're already well on the way to understanding it.

I have various editions of the Thoth. I also have one in my drawer at work and one at my partner's house (so as never to be caught short!) My favourite though is a large trimmed one, in a lovely chocolate brown velvet bag, made by Sulis.

This is the perfect deck for me in that I never tire of it. I love others, I love lots of other decks, I read with lots of other decks, but this is the one that "feels" inexhaustible,

I had an interesting experience recently. A friend asked me to read for him and I was a bit nervous, because of the issue involved. I used my Original RWS and it gave me such wishy-washy answers. I just looked at the cards and came out with platitudes and the querent nodded politely. I then scraped up the cards, "scratch that" and laid out the Thoth. Totally different cards, of course, but straight to the point.

I'll also never forget an extraordinary reading I did for someone who was coming to terms with being gay (I had no idea, until I did this reading!) and as well as the Moon, The Fool and a few other relevant cards, he drew the Queen of Cups. Woman distorted, veiled, something hidden, shielded behind a veil, something imperceptible, beginning to take form.

I have never looked at the card in quite the same way again.

nisaba

There's a woman local to me who reads out of mew age shops and uses nothing else for her clients.

Wendywu

She reads for a lot of cats locally? <chuckle>

gregory

Nevada said:
I didn't mean it was unrelated to his work, only unrelated to his reported nastiness as a person.
Lord bless you for saying that ! :love:

And yes to Lilja.

Lillie ONLY uses the Thoth.

I have used it and it picked up particularly well on mental illness, which I found interesting (NOT a health question; it said the person my sitter was asking about - as in is there any future for us - was a paranoid schizophrenic. I was rather (VERY) startled but told her... and she said how did I know..... Uncle Al told me ???)

Nightgarden

The Thoth was the deck I use exclusively for 16 years.
I love it and though there are many favourites of mine (the "Baba's"!!!) since I've joined this forum-the Thoth will always be my straight to the point-reading-deck.

Oh, and I know this scenario so well! *gg*:

Le Fanu said:
I had an interesting experience recently. A friend asked me to read for him and I was a bit nervous, because of the issue involved. I used my Original RWS and it gave me such wishy-washy answers. I just looked at the cards and came out with platitudes and the querent nodded politely. I then scraped up the cards, "scratch that" and laid out the Thoth. Totally different cards, of course, but straight to the point.

SunChariot

ann823 said:
I'm really drawn to the imagery on the Thoth, but don't see much about reading with it. Is it mainly a deck people study? It seems most threads talk about it in a way that seems really complicated-kabalah...astrology...etc. Or is it a good reading deck too?
Ann

Maybe it's just me, but I can't imagine studying a deck that you don't intend to use, why put so much effort in then. I use my Thoth as much as any of my other decks...which admittedly is not often as I now own 85 paper decks and almost 30 on Orphalese, and I use them all equally.

Well, I don't think the question of if it is a good reading deck can be answered. What is a good reading deck for one person may not be for another. But the best I can do is tell you my experiences.

For me personally, I got the deck with two books about the Thoth. I read them and started studying them and it ruined my readings. The deck would NOT work for me. Tried to trade it away here on AT but could not. And since it is a popular enough deck I knew is was a sign from the universe that I was meant ot keep it.

Over a year later, after I has thoroughly forgotten all I had read in the books about it, I had an impulse to pick it up and use it. At that point, I read it as I use all my decks, through the imagery and my intuition without the preconceived notions of this is supposed to mean that. And it's been reading really well for me.

What my life taught me personally about it was that studying the deck nearly ruined it for me. It was spouting total nonsense. As soon as I forgot what I have studied and worked with in intuitively, then the answers flowed. That was my experience anyway. And yes, it works well for me personally now. For me a great reading deck, but not a deck to study...But then studying any deck has never worked well for me.

Babs