Is this odd?

balenciaga

Emily said:
I like free reading now, just ask questions and lay the cards down as you go, building on from what information you are given. :)

Yeah, follow the energy:)

Water Lady

How very interesting, I like the idea and will now try just laying cards down for a question.
I think I had a reading like this once. She seemed to lay 3-5 cards in a area and then move to another area and I think she was asking for clarification sometimes and other times when she moved she was asking new questions.
Your conversation has made it clear and i like it.

Sulis

I find that I'm using spreads less and less, I 'chat' with my cards.
I ask a question and lay down 3 cards, ask another and lay down another 3. I keep going until I have the answers I need.

moderndayruth

I used to "kill" myself with spreads of like 16 cards, where there was an exact position for everything... lol I agree it's good for learning, but now i also sort of chat with the cards.

celticnoodle

shemsu sutekh said:
I'm moving away from using spreads almost completely, totally on accident. There are some wonderful spreads and many of my most commonly used ones are from users on this forum, but I just noticed that I haven't used a spread in about a month! I've just been doing 3 card draws or single draws and noticing that I can get just as much information this way. Plus, there's more room for interpretation as there are no "this card must apply to this" sort of thing.

Any thoughts? How often do you use spreads, or do you even use them at all?
actually, shemsu sutekh, I'm doing pretty much the same thing! I do occasionally still use a spread, but for the most part, just lay out a few cards, (generally 3 to 7) for information on the situation and read them from left to right. I seem to get just as accurate a read as I do with a spread, but I prefer this to a spread, since I don't have to go looking around for that 'perfect spread'. I don't think it really matters how you choose to do it, just whatever you feel comfortable with.

Aladdin

Spreads etc.

I started off using a reduced variant of the Celtic cross which in my opinion is far too heavy going for complete beginners anyway. In simple practical terms you would need a table suitable for king Arthur to opperate some spreads !
Without wanting to bore people on the preamble of shuffling, spreading etc., i choose four cards, placed in a linear left to right with no prescribed positional meanings. This gives all the elements a chance to appear which in my opinion makes for a balanced spread. For additional back-up meaning i take the top card and place to the left and the bottom card placed to the right to represent the immediate past and immediate future, ie. about a week, so finish with six cards in total.
Always, i've had accurate asistance and useful information but sometimes not quite the brainpower to fully comprehend........
By the way, i have a sharp brand microwave 24 years old just to cheer up the commentator of newer technologies. If a lamp has wick and paraffin (kerosene) i understand better !

silver_rain

I'm starting to go more with just laying down cards for a reading as well. I like using spreads, but lately Í just pick a few cards for each question and it really works for me. It's less limiting than a spread with particular meanings attached to particular positions.