Issues in 'feeling' when to stop shuffling

Wingéd Mermaid

I thought I would ask about this, as it's become rather frustrating for me.

I always have a difficult time 'feeling' when to stop shuffling the cards and draw for the spread. When I stop, it's like any feeling is very faint and most of the time it's a 'no, this doesn't feel right' so I end up shuffling for 10-15 minutes! This makes it difficult to keep my head straight and my mind focused on my question.
Other times I can't feel anything at all, nothing good, nothing bad. This bothers me because then it just makes it like a random card drawing than actual tarot reading.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is there any suggestions or advise you can give?

Thank you in advance!

nisaba

Ten or fifteen minutes ... hmm, you can use a lot of time that way. However, if that's what it takes you, your deck and your shuffling-style to get the cards into the right order, who am I to judge?

If you can't tell, just stop.

Some people shuffle for five, seven or nine rounds. Others shuffle for as long as it takes to recite the alphabet in their heads. Others just shuffle.

Really, it isn't a big deal. No matter how long or short you shuffle, the deck will see to it that the appropriate cards come out. In some circles, if you feel a bit reluctant to shuffle at all, it can indicate that the cards are already in the right order, and they only need cutting: I tend to tap my index finger on the back of the deck, then, to tell it it's shuffled.

Wingéd Mermaid

nisaba said:
Ten or fifteen minutes ... hmm, you can use a lot of time that way. However, if that's what it takes you, your deck and your shuffling-style to get the cards into the right order, who am I to judge?

If you can't tell, just stop.

Some people shuffle for five, seven or nine rounds. Others shuffle for as long as it takes to recite the alphabet in their heads. Others just shuffle.

Really, it isn't a big deal. No matter how long or short you shuffle, the deck will see to it that the appropriate cards come out. In some circles, if you feel a bit reluctant to shuffle at all, it can indicate that the cards are already in the right order, and they only need cutting: I tend to tap my index finger on the back of the deck, then, to tell it it's shuffled.

What exactly do you mean by rounds? *is curious*

I guess my main problem is that it feels wrong to stop more often than not. Sometimes I even get the cards to a 'good' spot and cut them and then they feel wrong so I have to shuffle for five more minutes.. It just seems when it comes to sensing anything I get more negative than anything. Maybe I should just settle on how many shuffles (not really sure how I'd do that with the way I shuffle..) and stop and see how the cards come out. If the reading makes sense I would be able to put more faith in myself and the card's ability to set themselves up.

Mimers

It definitely should not take 15 min.

I recommend not going with the 'it feels right to stop' method. Why don't you try a shuffling ritual? Ruffle 3 times and then cut 3 times. Repeat that step 3 times and then you are ready.

Sometimes when I am searching and waiting for a 'feeling' to come up it ends up blocking it. I find when I stop caring, it either comes to me or I find another way that works fine.

Good luck!

firefrost

I think I'd take the same length of time as Mimers would with her method, but I just concentrate on the question. A few shuffles and then one cut, and I'm away.

Or how about using a number that's significant to you and shuffle while you count to it? Possibly from a favourite card in your deck, or your birth number?
(Date of birth all added up together).

Astraea Aurora

Wingéd Mermaid said:
What exactly do you mean by rounds? *is curious*
Shuffling in x rounds means "shuffle x times". 7 rounds = shuffle 7 times. Usually this is part of a shuffling routine, as Mimers suggested.

Wingéd Mermaid said:
Sometimes I even get the cards to a 'good' spot and cut them and then they feel wrong so I have to shuffle for five more minutes..
How about you stop cutting the deck? When you shuffle your deck and get a good feeling why cut it as well? I think it's just natural that cutting destroys the good feeling because it breaks the order in which the cards signaled you they're in the perfect order for your question. I don't cut at all. Never.

Astraea Aurora :grin:

Alissa

I hit this same issue in my readings years ago. For me, I successfully resolved it by shuffling and "spinning" the deck, while calming and breathing deeply to get focused, and then I began picking the cards for the reading by splitting the deck open to reveal the card for each position.

To my knowledge, I still have never met anyone else who does this, but it completely negated the "when do I stop shuffling, is this the right shuffle?" doubts I was having.

Basic Elements

I think you are being overly focused on "feeling" something special to indicate that you are done. Just relax and with the question clearly in mind shuffle the cards a few times and get on with it.

If you are shuffling for 10-15 minutes thinking "No-no, this still isn't quite right.." that indicates obsessive compulsive tendencies to me. There is no need to have anxiety over shuffling a deck of cards. :D

Baroli

I shuffle 'til they're cooked. May take 3 times, may take 7 or whatever.

However when I am reading for a sitter, they do the shuffling. Takes the "is it done yet" aspect out of it. They also cut the deck; I just turn the cards over.

But everyone is different. There is no right or wrong way. But again, if you are reading for a sitter and it takes half the appointment time to get the cards cooked because you are shuffling away, I definitely would recommend letting your sitter shuffle.

Just my 2 cents.

lark

My math nerd nephew told me once that for a draw of cards to truly be random you need to shuffle 7 times.
Now I don't know if that is really true according to the laws of mathematics, but since he told me that I have always shuffled the cards 7 times and then stopped.
It's worked a charm so far. :)