John Frawley's "Real Astrology"

Minderwiz

Frawley is a necessary antidote to much of modern astrology. His books make you question much of the received wisdom of our discipline and, even if you reject some or part of what he says, you will become a more discerning astrologer.

His Horary Textbook' is one of the very best on the subject and should be on the reading list of anyone who realises that there is more to Astrology than just natal readings.

He is also writing (has written?) a book on Sports Astrology and as soon as I can get hold of a copy I will be devouring his ideas. He, Lee Lehman and Rob Hand have been the biggest influences in my trip into Traditional Astrology (along with William Lilly). However don't forget that there are genuinely excellent modern writers such as Sue Tompkins, whose 'Contemporary Astrologer's Handbook' is almost essential reading for the newcomer to Astrology

Scion

Hey Minderwiz!

Thank you so much for the heads-up about Frawley's Horary Textbook. It's been sitting in my shopping cart at Amazon as I dithered about it. You just tipped the balance.

I'm also going right this minute to look at the Tompkins book... The rec is greatly appreciated. If you think of any other "traditional" astrology books that you think a relative newcomer could absorb, I'd be very much obliged. :thumbsup:

Scion

willowfox

Minderwiz said:
His Horary Textbook' is one of the very best on the subject and should be on the reading list of anyone who realizes that there is more to Astrology than just natal readings.

I see that you recommended his horary book which I have been thinking about getting for a long time now but just cannot make up my mind. I hope its not like Barclays book which I thought was pretty awful. I kind of liked Goldstein's book, Anthony Louis and Sylvia Delong but not really anything else on the market.

Minderwiz

I agree with you about the Barclay book, though it did start the ball rolling. I also make use of Anthony Louis but the two best modern books I have read are those by Frawley and Lee Lehman's 'Martial Art of Horary Astrology'. The latter is not an easy read but is packed with information and examples. I also have a copy of Lilly's Christian Astrology (both published volumes) which I often resort to but has obvious difficulties for someone used to a modern idiom.

Scion

The Tompkins book is by a modern author and does not follow a traditional approach - I still rate it as an introductory volume though. On the traditional side, there are several excellent volumes by Lee Lehman. You might also look at some of Rob Hand's short works on Greek Astrology and last but certainly not least there is a really excellent book on Temperament by Dorian Greenbaum which provides an excellent and practical alternative to modern element analysis (which actually does derive from the traditional approach to temperament).

SolSionnach

The only Real Astrology is Visual Astrology a la Bernadette Brady.

(she says with tongue in cheek... sort of)

})