Journey of Creation: (Primitive Tarot)

Callistabell

I wanted to start a thread to write about my journey on the creation of a new deck. I have just begun today, with sketches and ideas. I've always been drawn to primitive culture and tradition. Its caputres my imagination and makes me feel a strong connection to humanity. An "over the ages of time" kind of thing. My husband has always said that my art style looks reminicent of cave drawings of early humans. I've been inspired to make a deck with this kind of theme. Something simplistic and primitive in feel. Something that opens the mind and frees the deck from all of the tiny details of symbology that fill other kinds of decks. While I love and appreciate the richness of those decks, I think my style of art has something unique to offer. So here I go. I'm thinking of it now as a "Primitive" Tarot (working title). I'm going to do further study of ancient Sumerian and Etruscan art, for common shapes and uses of figures, since its been so long since I studied it in college. Again, this is going to be the flavor of the deck and not the bones of it.- By that I mean, it's not going to be all in browns on rock textured backgrounds. It will be colorful but the basic figures and imagery will harken back to a time before history. This excites and inspires me. I want to go further back with the deck than anyone has gone before. I know that tarot wasn't around then, but the great universal "something" was, for sure. It's my way of forging a little connection.
Anyway, the basics are that I'm pretty sure I want it to be traditional in its structure and suits. There is only one card I am inspired to drop, and one card I am inspired to add. I want to drop the Chariot and add a trump of Forgiveness. Does anyone have any thoughts about that? I'm sure some of you do. I'm big on inspiration and things that come to me in sleep, and this was a very clear idea that came to me as I was falling back asleep this morning. I was in a heavy mind fog and the idea was a clear as bell. I want to base the cards on the RWS deck, but loosely. I have several sketches that I've done today and I will continue. I would love to get feedback while I work. Hopefully, also, load the images for you all to see as I go along.
Wow, what an endeavor this is, I've never made such a huge series, but something is pulling me onward.
Here we go.

Durant Hapke

light it...

Fiery Callistabell,

Light that torch, jump, and bring it.

Bring the primitive funk.

Bring the timeless power of action.

Your a funky pioneer of cave time.

A bringer of "do it."

Durant "I carry a little stone idol in your pocket" Hapke

Callistabell

Thanks Durant! You've got me wanting to dance in circles in the middle of my office! OOOoya ouiow!
One more thing- I had a dream last night. Again, I was awoken only a little to a state between sleep and awake. The idea was that The Tower should be replaced as well, with The Fire. This makes perfect sense to me and I really like it, I think I'm gonna light it! and Do it!

thorhammer

Callistabell said:
The idea was that The Tower should be replaced as well, with The Fire.

I like it a lot! It makes perfect sense to me, as well! Go ahead and we'll be there the whole way to help you along!

\m/ Kat

Splungeman

Durant Hapke said:
Fiery Callistabell,

Light that torch, jump, and bring it.

Bring the primitive funk.

Bring the timeless power of action.

Your a funky pioneer of cave time.

A bringer of "do it."

Durant "I carry a little stone idol in your pocket" Hapke

Y'know Durant...Getting a Tarot reading from you must be quite the experience. :) You send my brain on strange odysseys with your posts. Keep it up. :)

Anyway...about the deck...I think that perhaps "Forgiveness" may not be the best choice to replace "The Chariot". It belongs in a another deck perhaps. When I think of primitive peoples, I think of primal things: Hunting, chanting, animal skins, etc. The Chariot wouldn't be appropriate either, since primitive peoples didn't have chariots (or even wheels). How about "The Hunt"? Hunting was a very important event for early peoples. Hunting is primal, to succeed brought acclaim for the hunters, food and furs for the tribe, etc.

As far as suit symbols: Spears for swords, stones for pentacles, idols for wands, and cups (clay ones).

Note: Since Callistabell is my wife, I've already discussed these ideas with her in person, but I want to put all ideas on here for discussion with others.

Callistabell

Thanks for the great ideas my fabulous husband Splungeman! You are right about Forgiveness- it's for another deck. I really like the idea of "The Hunt". Very good. I'm going to go with Bones instead of wands. The idols idea is cool, and I'd like to incorporate idols in some other sense.
The suits I like are this:
Spears for Swords
Bones for Wands
Cups for Cups (of course)
Stones for Pentacles

Also the Heirophant should be called The Shaman.

Durant Hapke

Melancholy man...

Splungies:

Rock it.

For a free association of "what," have a highball and watch the last twenty minutes of FIGHT CLUB, some notions about "primitive," are deconstructed, and kicked about in a modern paradoxical manner.

And while your drinking, seek out the first seven old school albums by that killer band The Moody Blues, those jacket images are powerful, and may provide inspirational battery action.

Durant "go deep" Hapke

Elnor

Callistabell-
I've been toying with the idea of working on a deck, too- well done for deciding to take the plunge!

At the moment, I think I might work on my images as being paintings rather than cards, until I get a better feel as to how I want to proceed... I've done paintings of the Four Aces, and want to include them, so the others would need to be a similar style.

I will look forward to seeing your images if you decide to share them with us- it sounds like an exciting idea, a Primitive Tarot!

Perhaps we can offer one another encouragement during the creative process ahead! :)

elnor

Callistabell

Thanks Elnor! I'd love to support your as we go too.
Okay, my latest debate with my husband was about the media in which I will create the images. I wanted to use illustrator, for the things it offers and the cost, I have the supplies already to transfer my sketches into the computer and really play with color, tanslucency, etc. My husband (Splungeman) is begging me not to make it on the computer. He loves the things I paint with my hands and thinks that this deck requires such a unique touch. == I DO get into a painting frenzie when I get my hands into my work and he says it's the best work I do. So, for now I've given into him (I do love working in that way, and he's got a great point about it being SO appropriate.) I'll sketch out the skeleton of each piece first. About to go get hard at work now. If it comes down to it- It wouldn't be a bad idea to make one card in each way. Then I can post the two different versions of the card (ie: the empress) and you all can tell me what you think. Then I'll be able to see which one is the true spirit of the deck. I guess its something I'll know instinctively.

Durant Hapke

ping dot squeeeeek...

Cannon Ball Callistabell,

Modern Primitive Tarot

I Jacking Jack bird rock so mad hard on that.

Check this action:

http://www.artrage.com/

$25.00

Bring it.

Work in mud.

Paint.

Glue.

Stone.

Bust out the scanner and feel the digital heat of timeless jungle cries.

It's deep, and sharp, and true.

Blast that action.

Durant "finger, stick, brush, mouse, wacom" Hapke