Judgement. Major Arcana. Can´t Relate!!!

xhollysue

I have a couple of takes on this card:

1) It's time for skeletons to come out of the closet. You know that thing you've been hiding forever? It's not going to stay hidden anymore.

2) Heed the call. Caroliine Myss talks about every person having a time in their life when they hear their truth calling to them. When heaven calls to you, will you heed it? If you're so busy basking in the Sun (card 19) that you're unwilling to move forward just a little further, you WILL miss out on the World. Heed the call.

3) You can't reach the World alone. In this case, YOU'RE the angel calling others. Once you achieve so much clarity and enlightenment that you become the Sun (19) you can't reach the World (21) alone. You must find others and share your light with them. You must at the very least sound the trumpet for any interested in taking on the Hero's journey. Tarot teaches this a lot - 9 of cups and 9 of pentacles show "successful" people ... but they're alone. The 10, the total fulfillment of the suits depict, success in the company of loved ones. Naturally, you can't reach the World card until you achieve an outward focus and a willingness to share your learnings with others.

4) Last of all, making peace with the trials of your life. This card can be all about reviewing everything that has happened in your life and recognizing the wonderful opportunity it was and expressing gratitude for it. So all of the hard times, the trials, the struggles, the pain - gratitude for ALL of it. I see this as me being the Angel and sounding the trumpet of forgiveness and freeing the spirits of anyone who's offended me from their guilt and shame. I accept all of the monsters in my life as my teachers and I release them from their debt to me - through forgiveness and gratitude. And, most importantly, I release myself from any guilt, self-deprication or judgment, or regret.

thorhammer

xhollysue said:
3) You can't reach the World alone. In this case, YOU'RE the angel calling others. Once you achieve so much clarity and enlightenment that you become the Sun (19) you can't reach the World (21) alone. You must find others and share your light with them. You must at the very least sound the trumpet for any interested in taking on the Hero's journey. Tarot teaches this a lot - 9 of cups and 9 of pentacles show "successful" people ... but they're alone. The 10, the total fulfillment of the suits depict, success in the company of loved ones. Naturally, you can't reach the World card until you achieve an outward focus and a willingness to share your learnings with others.
Oh, thankyou for posting this - this is just beautiful! It is so uplifting and encouraging, and it really does bring the Tarot into real life for me.

Thankyou :)

\m/ Kat

afrosaxon

This is just wonderful, xhollysue. Thank you for posting this!

xhollysue said:
I have a couple of takes on this card:

1) It's time for skeletons to come out of the closet. You know that thing you've been hiding forever? It's not going to stay hidden anymore.

2) Heed the call. Caroliine Myss talks about every person having a time in their life when they hear their truth calling to them. When heaven calls to you, will you heed it? If you're so busy basking in the Sun (card 19) that you're unwilling to move forward just a little further, you WILL miss out on the World. Heed the call.

4) Last of all, making peace with the trials of your life. This card can be all about reviewing everything that has happened in your life and recognizing the wonderful opportunity it was and expressing gratitude for it. So all of the hard times, the trials, the struggles, the pain - gratitude for ALL of it. I see this as me being the Angel and sounding the trumpet of forgiveness and freeing the spirits of anyone who's offended me from their guilt and shame. I accept all of the monsters in my life as my teachers and I release them from their debt to me - through forgiveness and gratitude. And, most importantly, I release myself from any guilt, self-deprication or judgment, or regret.

xhollysue

You're welcome, and I actually have one more that I just remembered. This comes from the Robin Wood deck, and I LOVE this deck, and the Judgment card is the bomb. I wish I could find a link for the card.

Anyways, it shows a naked woman jumping out of a flaming cauldron with Phoenix behind her. For those unfamiliar with Phoenix, it's a bird that dies by spontaneously catching on fire and from it's ashes it is reborn. So I see the angle of the Judgment card being about an eternal rebirth and purification process.

I got this particular card once for a lady who'd been raised in a very sexually abusive environment, and in her 50's has become a local teacher of Tantra (spirituality through sex). Truly she has risen from the ashes, just like Phoenix! And the painful flames in her life have only served to purify her vision of what it means to love fully. So in short, don't let the man get you down, and remember that you can always rise again!

Naturally it's symbolic of the triumphant entry of Jesus (the Sun), his resurrection from death (Judgment) and then his subsequent exaltation (The World). In fact, don't get me started on the Jesus parallels for the last 7 cards of the majors... ha ha ha. I'll digress.

Greg Stanton

There seems to be a new-agey taboo on the word "judgement" -- even on the entire concept. It's a reaction to old dogmatic attitudes, but there's nothing wrong with having an opinion, making an evaluation, changing your mind.

Artists, writers, musicians, must all judge their work in order to make it better and evolve. We pass judgement every time we make a decision, or make a choice.

The imagery on the card is undeniably Christian, but it's not too difficult to look past this to get to the meat of the matter, as it were :)

mahjong

Fo me the judgement card seems to come up when I need a wake up call and tells me that I've brought whatever issue I have on myself

FaireMaiden

For me, the word 'Judgement' on the card always translates to 'Discernment'. In typical RWS, the Angel represents one's 'Higher Self' having to blast one in order to 'wake one up', to 'hear' what needs to be heard; to 'heed' what needs to be heeded; that there is something coming to the fore that one must be made aware of. In other words, to 'pay attention'. The dead people are actually all of us; the people living on Earth. It means, for me, that, in whatever situation is being divined, we have been unconscious as to what's really going on and need to perk up our ears, so to speak.

Examples:

In a 'love relationship reading', it would mean to 'read between the lines' of what's going on; of what's being said; of what's being promised; to take off the rose-coloured glasses and get down to the business of really 'seeing' the person, flaws and all. In a new relationship, it would mean all those things and also 'the time to qualify your lover has come'!

In a 'financial reading', it would mean 'read the fine print'; dot those i's, cross those t's, and make double & triple sure of the integrity of the folk you're dealing with, including your own motivations.

In a 'health reading', it would mean to 'stop ignoring all those seemingly unrelated symtoms and get your tush to a doctor right quick'.

In a 'spiritual reading', it would mean that you've done everything you can do on your own; that you've consulted every available expert down on earth for the moment, and that the time has come to 'go within', to meditate, to reach out to your 'Higher Self' and trust the guidance received.

Indeed, in all these readings, one's 'Higher Self' is attempting to get one's attention for it has something of import to say. The advice is always to 'now go within'.

The 'reverse' of this card is really very easy... we missed something along the way, and it's in our best interest, even tho painstaking, to backtrack so as to figure out where we went wrong. Usually, we are already feeling the effects of having missed an important signpost. Again, the advice is to 'go within' and ask for just such help.

In the end, this card always speaks to me of 'whatever happens from here on out is MY responsibility'. I can't blame it on 'the devil made me do it', or 'the moon clouded my awareness', or 'the sun got in my eyes'... No, 'Judgement' means the ball is in our court now, and whatever decisions we make from this time forward WILL be felt down the road for quite some time to come; for it is we who invariably end-up judging ourselves, question our motives (and those of others), and come to understanding. Hence, the very real need we all have to 'go within', to 'check-in', with our 'Higher Self' to keep us on track.

It is a 'crossroads' card, a 'karmic' card, for me.

One of my favourite depictions is from the 'Whimsical Tarot' *s*

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll138/FaireMaiden/Whimsical/20Judgement.jpg