Just got Bonefire!

canid

The mailman just knocked on my door & I had to sign for it. I'm so excited! I almost don't want to open it, the packaging is stunning! Black velvet wrapped with a pretty twine bow, a business card & a heart shaped bones & fire cut-out attached! I can't wait any longer, gotta go look at it. It was VERY quick coming from Australia to Ohio!

ETA: The black velvet isn't a 'gift' wrap to throw away, it's actually a bag for the cards, and the twine is the closure for the flap-top type container for the deck. I'm gonna have fun tonight...Lotta work they did!

nisaba

<grin> Mine's midnight-blue felt, but I *completely* understand your pleasure!

prudence

Have fun with it, Canid! When I first got mine, I of course started in right away with little, inconsequential readings, rather than just looking through the deck....which is how I get to know my new decks. But this one, oh my goodness, this one stopped me in my tracks so many times. A small 3 card reading would turn into a very lengthy gaze-a-thon, when I'd pull certain cards that just took my breath away. I'd stare at them, stare into them, become completely a part of the image....4 swords is one that made me literally feel like I was in the card, in that tub, soaking in that bubble bath with one shoe on, one shoe off. The 4 of cups was very similar in how it pulled me in, still does and always stops my reading process just because it is so emotive and languid....not complaining here at all, just trying to convey how much in the scenery I feel when I use this deck.

Even the 10 of swords is so beautiful, if I can use that word for this image, but my goodness, you're right there finding the "body" with swords jammed into his back....and it's not gruesome, it's something other than that. It's something that incorporates beauty and pain and poetry all at once. Maybe the angle of it and the colors and Gabi's unique style...

Grizabella

Isn't it just wonderful? I absolutely adore it! As you can probably tell from my thread in the reading exchange, it lends itself so well to longer readings. It's a very chatty little deck, isn't it?
I haven't touched another deck since I got it.

Dark Victory '39

i wdn't say enabler as i am an adult

Canid it was your post that made me go back and read all the bonefire has landed (or in the process of landing) thread, and made me look again at the pix, and almost impromptu, really, buy the deck! I havn't bought a deck in 3 months. i kept thinking it wasn't really my thing, but so much heart seems to have gone into it, and i admire some of the images v. much, but your genuine heart in throat excitement nailed me. How does that make you feel? lol.

Barleywine

I've been seeing quite a bit of excitement about this deck in the forums, so I went to take a look. I think I'll pass. It's just a shade too "creepy" for me; some of the people in it look . . . well, "undead," which I don't think is the kind of renewal envisioned by the Belteinne (Greer's spelling) ceremonies. I'm not squeamish about tattoo art; my daughter has it over 40% of her skin surface (and counting), although all of them are of her own design and not typical tattoo parlor stuff (oops, I think they call them "studios" now that sailors aren't the sole recipients).

canid

Canid it was your post that made me go back and read all the bonefire has landed (or in the process of landing) thread, and made me look again at the pix, and almost impromptu, really, buy the deck! I havn't bought a deck in 3 months. i kept thinking it wasn't really my thing, but so much heart seems to have gone into it, and i admire some of the images v. much, but your genuine heart in throat excitement nailed me. How does that make you feel? lol.

I'm not entirely sure yet. But happy. Frivolous perhaps. I haven't yet looked at each card & I'm tempted to just jump in, but I have my own personal method of jumbling up a new deck, not shuffling, then I'm afraid I would miss some images for a while, till they came up in a reading. Very busy art. What to focus on? But I've been assured that's not an issue with other people & it's already happened just by perusing the cards; something leaped out at me. I love the LWB, very different, definitely NOT a clone & highly entertaining. I actually started reading it first, it's entrancing.

canid

I've been seeing quite a bit of excitement about this deck in the forums, so I went to take a look. I think I'll pass. It's just a shade too "creepy" for me; some of the people in it look . . . well, "undead," which I don't think is the kind of renewal envisioned by the Belteinne (Greer's spelling) ceremonies. I'm not squeamish about tattoo art; my daughter has it over 40% of her skin surface (and counting), although all of them are of her own design and not typical tattoo parlor stuff (oops, I think they call them "studios" now that sailors aren't the sole recipients).

Oh, I'm not the tatooed woman either. But I like the symbolism of 'Bone Fire'. "The bonefire is the root of the modern word 'bonfire'. Fires were lit ceremonially at Beltane. The pagan festival to welcome the sun & give thanks, blahblah. Old linen, animal bones, were gathered through the year & lit at Beltane." I do like that about the deck. I wasn't even thinking about it being tatoo art. Granny Jones could also be considered tatoo art, I'm thinking.

ETA: Spelling issue

canid

<grin> Mine's midnight-blue felt, but I *completely* understand your pleasure!

You're right, it is felt. But a VERY high end felt! I looked at mine under a bright light & I still think it's black, although with these old eyes, who knows.

Dark Victory '39

yup

Oh Barley Wine, saying the blue skin's make them seem dead, makes me want the deck more!