Just re-read the statute...

blackroseivy

"Fortune telling shall be performed as part of a show or exhibition solely for the purpose of entertainment or amusement. The NYS Penal Law, Section 165.35 charges fortune telling as a class B misdemeanor when, for a fee or compensation which is directly or indirectly solicited or received, a person claims or pretends to tell fortunes, or holds himself out as being able, by claimed or pretended use of occult powers, to answer questions or give advice on personal matters or to exercise, influence or affect evil spirits or curses."

Ok, so I get the bit about not being able to claim to remove curses etc. (#1 scam in the biz), but what about the rest of it? What exactly is permitted??? (Unless of course one's own disclaimer of "For Entertainment Purposes Only" basically covers the ground there...)

Grizabella

I think what I get out of that is that you can do it "for entertainment purposes only" and only in the context of a show, but not just on your own. I think a psychic fair could be considered to be a "show".

But then this part:
Section 165.35 charges fortune telling as a class B misdemeanor when, for a fee or compensation which is directly or indirectly solicited or received, a person claims or pretends to tell fortunes,

says that you can't read fortunes for a monetary fee or other compensation which means barter, probably

or holds himself out as being able, by claimed or pretended use of occult powers, to answer questions or give advice on personal matters

and you can't answer questions or give advice on personal matters claiming occult powers are assisting you

or to exercise (I think they mean "exorcise"), influence or affect evil spirits or curses."

nor can you claim to--or try to--exorcise, influence or affect evil spirits or curses---as in you can't claim to get rid of evil spirits or curses.

The whole thing says, in my opinion, that you can't set up shop as a card reader on your own. It has to be part of a show and has to have the disclaimer that you're doing it for entertainment purposes only.

Sheri

BRI, I would check around for other readers doing business in your area. If they are, chances are that law is one of many antiquated ones that are on the books from years past, and may not be enforced.

It may also be that the other readers in the area have gotten ordination and practice "spiritual counseling."

:love: valeria

blackroseivy

Yeah, ok - I'll do that. I think you are probably right about its not being enforced.

I was interested in going to a New-Agey-typey store where they have that stuff, & they seemed like they might be interested in having a Tarot reader as the owner does straight psychic readings; I get the idea that they have been there for a while & aren't in any kind of trouble, certainly, so I should be fine...

Thanx!

re-pete-a

Check when that law was passed, it's possible to have it ammended if ANCIENT.
Not being American, does that law not inpinge upon your rights to believe in YOUR Gods
Also if you have copied that as it is /was written , then it refers to HIMS only ,which means technically HERS is free to play Gypsies.
You may also find that ,that law is infringing on your chosen religious beliefs, also it may have been selected on protective religious grounds.

Either way you could stir up a review because of the legal ramifacations.
As an aside , does that also extend to politicians, Treasurers, that predict the future economic trends ,or to stock market players ,or to the book of revelations . What about the papers and their horse racing ,best bets predictions.
There's lotz more ,but predicting the outcomes of anything (weather) is the same thing.

What about a little letter to those concerned??

Tansey Ella

edited

re-pete-a

AMEN.............is the ancient Roman God of victories ,

could be an interesting sign too.

Keep shuffling.

re-pete-a

ooopsies !!!

blackroseivy

Well, rpa...

"by claimed or pretended use of occult powers"

I think that that excludes the others.

But of course we can also always say that there is nothing "occult" (note the quotes) about it. Right? :D Kinda a gray area there...

Dancing Bear

Tansey said:
One of my neighbor's got wind that I played with tarot cards and now they have a " He ( Jesus) has Risen " Cross sign in their yard. SIGH

I thought this was so funny..
LOL!! thanks for the laugh..
Sorry for the warped sense of humour!!