KAPLAN Collection (Tarock) Christies Auction. Excitement

le pendu

Agedog1,

Can you tell us more about the catalogue??

How many pages? Is the entire collection represented (In my dreams!)

What's it like????

thanks,
robert

HearthCricket

le pendu said:
But some of the decks ARE tempting, many are listed as estimated for $300-$600... I mean.. it IS possible that a bit of tarot history could be had.

robert

This is how I feel, though it is an auction and the prices could go way up. But to think that one could actually own a Kaplan deck is beyond thrills and chills! And don't feel bad. I dreamt of tarot cards, last night. And none were decks that I even know. What does this mean??!!

:D

Bat Chicken

le pendu said:
...But some of the decks ARE tempting, many are listed as estimated for $300-$600... I mean.. it IS possible that a bit of tarot history could be had....

Have you all looked through the entire collection online???
;)
robert

What a collection.... wouldn't it be something to have that piece of history?? Anybody going to try???

agedog1

Catalogue beyond Beautiful

Yes, If you've got the $35.00 ORDER THIS CATALOGUE. It is full color! Gosh I don't have it here at work but it's like 190 pages.

YES you can afford to bid.

That being said. I know some of the people that plan on bidding and I'm personally bidding on10 - 20 lots (like I might get even 1 - oh how I hope), the big boys are out there with backers hoping they can get the whole collection (probably 5 - 8 Mil). This time I have a backer for my bidding and I also have a representative bidding on the floor for me - so I've got LOTS of HOPE and a little muscle this time.

Sentient

Visconti-Sforza card for sale

As an update, one of the highlights of the sale is Lot #1, the male Page of Staves from a Visconti-Sforza tarocchi deck of the mid-fifteenth century.

It’s quite thrilling even to imagine owning such a fascinating piece of history.

I have no connection with the auction, but am including part of the item description for those with an interest:

Pre-lot Text: The earliest extant tarot cards date from the mid-fifteenth century and center upon the Visconti and Sforza ducal families of Milan based upon identification of the heraldic devices appearing on many of the cards. No complete pack exists today and, except for two nearly complete decks and several multiple or single cards in private hands, all are housed in museums. The Visconti-Sforza Pierpont-Morgan Tarocchi deck contains 74 of 78 extant cards and is divided between the Pierpont Morgan Library, New York with 35 cards, the Accademia Carrara, Bergamo with 26 cards and Casa Colleoni with 13 cards. The Cary-Yale Visconti Tarocchi deck, housed in the Cary Collection of Playing Cards, The Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University, comprises 67 of 86 cards. There are eight additional cards due to the inclusion of both male and female knights and valets.

The Pierpont-Morgan/Accademia Carrera/Casa Colleoni Tarocchi cards are attributed to Bonifacio Bembo, active 1444- c.1481, who spent much of his career in the service of the Sforza family. Francisco Sforza, one of the most important military figures of 15th-century Italy, married in 1441 the illegitimate daughter of Filippo Maria Visconti, Duke of Milan. Following Filippo Maria's death and the failure of the Milanese to create a republic, Sforza declared himself Duke in 1450. The intermingling of the heraldic devices of the Visconti and Sforza on these cards has led to the suggestion that they were made for Francisco and his wife, Bianca Maria. A letter dated December 11, 1450 to Antonio Trecho, treasurer, records the duke's personal order for "carte di triumphe," adding a further instruction for his agent to obtain "the most beautiful that could be found." The artist's name is not specified, but Bembo's tarocchi cards may have been the duke's objective.

Lot description: Male Page of Staves, Tarocco card, Milan mid-15th century, attributed to Bonifacio Bembo. Burnished gold and tempera on gessoed card, backs painted reddish brown (upper corners chipped, a few losses of surface and gesso from gold background, pigment losses from upper part of figure, repaint to lower part of card). In design and style this figure is a duplicate of the Page of Staves in the Accademia Carrara: the soft contours and delicate modelling of flesh tones show it to be the work of the same artist. It varies from the Bergamo card, and others of that set in one detail of the technique. In the present card gold-leaf was laid over the entire area above the landscape and the figure was painted on top of that. This may have resulted in a subtle luminosity that would have accorded well with the preferred blonde tones in works attributed to Bembo. Unfortunately it has also resulted in the pigment adhering less securely than if it had been painted directly on to the gesso ground. It may be that it was in recognition of this that Bembo abandoned this innovation and completed the Bergamo and Morgan Library cards by conventionally applying paint directly onto gesso. 6 11/16 in. (17.1 cm) high, 3 7/16 in. (8.8 cm) wide.
The full catalog can be viewed by going to the Christie’s website:
http://www.christies.com/promos/jun06/1680/overview.asp

Those with access to NYC will be able to view the items from 17jun to 20jun.

And the estimate?

10,000 - 15,000 USD.

I envy those with enough funds to consider purchasing such an amazing card!

Netzach

agedog1 said:
Yes, If you've got the $35.00 ORDER THIS CATALOGUE. It is full color! Gosh I don't have it here at work but it's like 190 pages.

I 'phoned Christies to order one and they've run out! And they're not reprinting. So I'm gorging myself on the website.

agedog1

I know of three bidders for that particular card, One in Japan, One in Brazil, and One in California/New York/Paris. I hope the California/NY/Paris gets it

Annabelle

Eeep! Just ordered a catalogue, too :D. The excitement was just too much for me!

Doubt I will be trying for anything, though. Under ordinary circumstances, I'd already be doing everything possible to find out how to bid, and planning what I was going to bid on . . . but alas, I'm moving soon, and the expenses are piling up FAST. Much as I hate it, having water and electricity is a wee bit more important than having a rare tarot deck. Hierarchy of needs, and all that . . .

Ah, but . . . my birthday is next month. There is a chance that I could convince my SO that an early present is in order :D.

Annabelle

Netzach said:
I 'phoned Christies to order one and they've run out! And they're not reprinting. So I'm gorging myself on the website.
Really?? I wonder if I got the last one, then? I called about 10 minutes ago and ordered mine.

agedog1

Count yourself lucky if you got a catalogue. It is definitely a collectors item! Christie's never reprints a catalogue unless they reach a certain number of request before the auction. I'll call today and try convincing them to print more. But be warned if the big collectors have already faxed their bids and Christie's knows it over the top sales - they won't even consider another printing.