Keeping it lighthearted

greenseer

Hi guys!

I'm a baby reader (really still getting to grips with reading), and I was just wondering if anyone has ever struggled with keeping readings lighthearted? Have you ever got a negative reading for someone in a casual reading? I've not yet started reading for others, but the thought entered my head today.

(I hope I got this in the right subforum)

happyfish

Welcome to the wonderful world of tarot! :)

I guess it depends what you mean by 'lighthearted.' One of the things that appeals to me the most about tarot is that it covers all aspects of life - the light and the dark. Readings can definitely get deep, grimy and painful sometimes. However, I think as a reader, there are ways to handle that with grace. We all have different reading styles, and in time and experience, you'll find out what kind of reader you want to be. Personally, even when a reading has painful messages, I'm all about keeping it empowering. Where can the light be found in the darkness...how will this turmoil help the seeker grow...and so on. It's never just 'doom and gloom.'

greenseer

I like that perspective :) I guess by lighthearted, it could be something like doing a reading for friends on the spur of the moment? A situation where you wouldn't want to bring the atmosphere down with a really deep reading.

ravenest

Hi <waves>

I'm a baby reader (really still getting to grips with reading),

I had a vision of you examining babies and giving a divination from them :)

and I was just wondering if anyone has ever struggled with keeping readings lighthearted? Have you ever got a negative reading for someone in a casual reading? I've not yet started reading for others, but the thought entered my head today.

(I hope I got this in the right subforum)

I believe that every card holds within it an answer or approach to whatever negatives might be thrown up.

See http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=219850 my post # 8 about the 4 of discs (as just one example)

ravenest

I like that perspective :) I guess by lighthearted, it could be something like doing a reading for friends on the spur of the moment? A situation where you wouldn't want to bring the atmosphere down with a really deep reading.

What about an indepth personal deck for such readings and another lighter fun type deck for the other readings ... I'm sure there must be 'party decks' out there ? (I dont know because I dont read like that.)

greenseer

Ravenest, I can't believe I didn't think of that! I don't really seem to click with "lighter" decks myself, but I think the Silhouettes tarot could be a happy medium.

jolie_amethyst

I'd say you might want to memorize a couple of small spreads with carefully thought out positions that are less likely to produce "negative" results. Glass Owl's The Way of Tea spread is one possibility I've used that produces insightful results while leaving the querent with positive things to employ in their lives. I'm sure there are plenty of others in the Tarot Spreads section that would also work.

Then practice a lot with how to handle cards like the 10/Swords in those positions, and in general seeing the "better" side of all the cards.

A lighter or more fanciful deck could also be helpful in cushioning messages. Even really dark readings don't look as threatening when you're using something airy-fairy like Shadowscapes or somewhat silly seeming at first glance, like the Kilted Rubber Chicken tarot. (Both decks are excellent reads for me, but Shadowscapes does pad its blows with all that soft, sensual, watercolor art, and the Chickens are so goofy looking that even Death & the Tower are easy to take.)

Or carry an oracle deck instead. I have a friend who's not ready to take the messages she knows I get from Tarot, but has started asking me to draw from the Faeries' Oracle. The messages aren't any less blunt, but they're in a format that she isn't as prone to overreact to when a card is less than all sunshine and roses.

Cenozoic

Well even when giving a casual reading, sometimes if it sounds negative, maybe it's something that the other person needed to hear. Sometimes people have trouble talking about their problems, and just need someone to listen to. I think that readings show things in our lives, so sometimes it will be lighthearted and fun, and other times more serious. It really depends on the situation you're reading into.

greenseer

Thanks for the insight Jolie. You definitely pointed out something I find myself struggling with, that is, reading cards like 9/10 of swords and being able to see the positives. (the Wild Unknown doesn't really lend itself to seeing these cards very positively)

I'll keep all of that in mind :)

Barleywine

I had a vision of you examining babies and giving a divination from them :)

Hey, if you're going to invent a new method of divination, at least tell us which end of the baby to start at! :)

I believe that every card holds within it an answer or approach to whatever negatives might be thrown up.

My experience as well, and it puts you, the reader, squarely on the spot. They don't necessarily give up their empowering content easily. There are constructive ways to read Death or The Devil, but you may have to muck about in them a bit to come up with it. For example, if he or she is in a bad way, Death could mean an end to that and the beginning of recovery. If someone is deceiving them, The Devil could help them recognize that and deal with it. It's kind of like the mathematical principle of two negatives multiplied together make a positive. Of course, if life is rosy, you would probably have to dig deeper. But then, if they have no problems, why are they seeking advice from the cards? If it's just for fun, find a "fluffy" deck to use for that.