Knight of Swords

thinbuddha

Of the court cards, this one seems to be to be the most devoid of symbols. There is merely a armored knight on horseback-both of whom seem to be flying through the air. Above his head is a formation of "wings" that remind me of the wings of a dragonfly, but really the formation looks more like a propeller beanie. On each wing is written a direction (north, south, east, west)

If you trust the compas that forms the wings above his helm, the Knight seems to be heading south by south-east.

But really, I think that the reason for having the directions written on his wings like this is not to depict him heading in a certain direction, rather I think it is trying to (for some reason I can't quite put my finger on) place him at the center of the cardinal directions- almost as if he is serving as the equator, the north pole and the south pole all at once. He is the center of the compass- which I'm sure *someone* out there can shed some light on. There must be some significance to the compass in magic or alchemy?

If nothing else, I can draw a comparrison between the knight of swords and a pendulum, which is certainly used in divination and ceremonial magic.

Any thoughts?

Aeon418

Air is East and Fire is South. The Knight of Swords represents the Fiery part of Air, hence his direction. South-East. Just a guess.

brujablanca

knight of swords

Hmmmm that is a point I never thought of.

But thats what I love about this deck; everytime you look at it you can find something new and fresh.

Excellent insight.

Blessings,

Bruja

thinbuddha

Aeon418 said:
Air is East and Fire is South. The Knight of Swords represents the Fiery part of Air, hence his direction. South-East. Just a guess.

Interesting- yet this would make him more firery than airy. Shouldn't he be heading more East than South?

Julien

Okay, since I'm into revisiting old threads this weekend... ;) Anyone up for a discussion of this gentleman?

The compass discussion here interests me... The direction of the Knight had not seemed all that important until I read this.

But also, in the Ace of Disks thread, we were discussing wings... The propellers he wears on his head -- when I first looked at this card I thought he had wings on his back, and then finally it dawned on me that they were on his head!!! LOL...

But look at how transparent they are, and how fast they move. They certainly make you feel the air around him. The speed is... well... breathtaking, and you have a sense from the image that his speed is increased such that his horse nearly flies. But the wings are not on the horse -- they're on the Knight's head!

Swords/ideas -- the wings on the head/the rush of thought... The wings on his head... Yes, he's moving forward quickly because his ideas are carrying him. He has great conviction, as can be seen by the drawn swords. I'd rather not meet up with this guy when he's in this mode. I think of this as the sort of energy that comes to a person when suddenly all becomes clear and they know precisely what must be done -- and don't question themselves. And, with those swords in his hands, he may well do some damage. But he will also likely win the fight.

Other thoughts?

Julien

mooiedragon

I tend to get the feeling that the Knight of Swords is focused - that seems to be the big theme for me.

Yes, the wings on his head are very transparent, not earthy at all like in the ace. Perhaps these wings represent the mind, or spirit, which could also tie in with the transparent wings on the Ace of disks also refering to the spirit. This night, however, does not seem to be concerned at all with the physical self - He's focused and on the move. Purposeful, yet swift.

Why do you think the birds are there?

thinbuddha

I don't have very much more to offer on this other than to say that I have sort of settled with the conclusion that the "propeller beenie" with the cardinal directions on it is not meant to establish the Knight as moving in a particular direction- rather it is meant to establish him as being so full of movement that the compass spins around him (leaving him in the center, as it were). So I guess I don't see the direction he appears to be traveling in as being significant because, being like a propeller, that direction will change rapidly.

I have nothing to back this up other than the feeling that I get from the card: Like has been said by others, his essence is movement and swiftness. He is full of unpredictable actions, and one could never determine where he is going to go next.

Lillie

I like this card.
Such a feeling of movement and energy.

Dejavooo

yes you defenetly get the filling of nergy here, its all about action and what is motivating you!

HarleyQuinnX

I think I'll just add my little bit of insight to this. Feel free to ignore it. :p

I think the reason that he is headed south may have something to do with the birds following underneath him. Birds fly south (at least in the northern hemisphere) for the winter to be where they can live comfortably. Maybe that is why he's doing the same.

I guess it's someone offset by the fact that he has his swords drawn, but just hoped that sparked some other ideas in someone else's head.