La Lune (the Moon) - how may it be read?

Diana

Moongold said:
Greetings Diana ~

Do you make any connections between La Papesse and La Luna? I don't see the Marseille doing this at all but I could be wrong. There is no symbolic recognition on either image but I wondered if there is some other connection.

Greetings Moongold.

I don't make a direct connection. Because I don't want to jump to conclusions. But Isis was a Moon Goddess. And there are some who see links between Isis and La Papesse.

Moongold

Helvetica said:
Don't you see the two towers ressembling the two "columns" made up of the curved edges of the Papesse's veil? Or the light of the moon, hiding and revealing at the same time, a visual reminder of the Papesse's veil.
I see the veil everywhere in XVIII- La Lune. It's the first things that jumped at me.
How interesting! My Fournier is so dark that I didn't actually see the two columns with La Papesse. And I have been trying so hard to divest myself of RWS images when looking at the Marseilles I wasn't wanting to see them! I always associate the columns with RWS.

Loooking at the cards together now, I don't see a literal veil in La Lune. But as I speak, I see the Moon's face is blue - a figurative veil?

Ah..... NOW I see, behind La Papesse is a sandy coloured cloth which you are probably seeing as the veil (I saw her head dress as the veil).

If that is the case, everything is different. You made me think! The veil in La Papesse is the same colour as the desert landscape in La Lune. And the blue of La Papesse's gown is a similar blue to the water and sky in La Lune. The colours change everything.

Yes, I can see the connections now. And they are all the more striking because of the beauty and grace of La Papesse and the starkness of the La Lune.

Moongold

Diana said:
Greetings Moongold.

I don't make a direct connection. Because I don't want to jump to conclusions. But Isis was a Moon Goddess. And there are some who see links between Isis and La Papesse.
Thanks, Diana ~

Isis has so many connections with archetypal figures. I am not surprised that some make such a connection between Her and La Papesse. Do you know that Isis was also a Magician?

Sophie

Moongold said:
If that is the case, everything is different. You made me think! The veil in La Papesse is the same colour as the desert landscape in La Lune. And the blue of La Papesse's gown is a similar blue to the water and sky in La Lune. The colours change everything.

Yes, I can see the connections now. And they are all the more striking because of the beauty and grace of La Papesse and the starkness of the La Lune.

In the Dodal (Flornoy), the Veil is blue and striped with black, exactly the same colour and striping as the moonlit water in La Lune.

Pocono Platypus

It's the moon after all, up there in the sky. I never thought the Moon was a man or a woman, except it's easy to look at -- the Moon

Pocono Platypus

Shakespeare

Falstaff to Prince Harry in Henry IV, Part One.

"Let us be Diana's foresters, gentlemen of the shade, minions of the moon, and let men say we be men of good government, being governed, as the sea is, by our noble and chaste mistress the moon, under whose countenance we steal."

kwaw

roppo said:
With the question in my mind I browsed and consulted some books till I found a very interesting thing. My Radom House Dictionary shows a picture of crayfish with its Latin name "Cambarus diogenes". Later I found the hermit crab family is called "diogenes".

Freshwater crayfish Canbarus Diogenes

Attachments

• canbarus diogenes.jpg
    canbarus diogenes.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 110

Parzival

La Lune

A quick addition to all the lunar lore. A zoologist with whom I work informs me that the crayfish is a great example of continuous regeneration during its first year. That is, it sheds its exoskeleton over and over, up to ten times, constantly regenerating its discarded bodies. I asked him if this is tied to the moon cycle, and he thought not. " But both moon and crayfish shed away and regenerate their shells, " he mused. He added that crayfish do not like light and only feed in the deep dark. I wonder if that is why the crayfish is still in the water, yet to come out to feed.

roppo

Freshwater...

Thank you kwaw for the photo! yes, it's a freshwater one and that tells a lot. The water of XVIII is certainly not a sea; a river, or pond perhaps. The hermit crabs are often associated with St Bernard, but their Latin name "diogenes"...well, at least I can play around with another wild guesses!

Diana

Frank Hall said:
A quick addition to all the lunar lore. A zoologist with whom I work informs me that the crayfish is a great example of continuous regeneration during its first year. That is, it sheds its exoskeleton over and over, up to ten times, constantly regenerating its discarded bodies. I asked him if this is tied to the moon cycle, and he thought not. "

I had understood that it did have something to do with the Moon cycles. A long long time ago, I recall making a post about a lobster's unusual habits but I am too lazy to go and search for it.

(What is the difference between a crayfish and a lobster? I see a lobster in the Marseilles cards. Is a lobster another word for a crayfish?)