Learning / Remembering

Cassandra022

Lots and lots and lots of use, over years.

No card sticks to one meaning. Work with the images in front of you. Every time you see them, they will mean something different - there are only 78 cards, and billions of things they need to be able to describe.

this is very true. i remember the excitement of the first reading i finally did for myself where i didn't need to look up any meanings/cards at all to 'get' the message. mind, that took me a while to get to that point, a WHILE.

canid

What do you mean when you say the "concept" of the card?

I think it's the 'energy' (concept) of that card & the hundreds/thousands of ways it can send you down a specific path, depending on the question & spread. Memorizing each card meaning is simply impossible given the billions of possible scenarios. If you *get* that card's concept/meaning from the get-go, instead of trying to memorize each & every keyword, the possibilities are endless. Then you have the art itself that will alter those keywords you haven't managed to memorize...

dach

Change of Deck?

I have taken on board everything that has been said and maybe I need a different type of deck to be able to move forward. I only have the Español/Spanish and this may not be the best for a newbie, imo, as it does not have many pictures; for me I am finding it hard to be able to "read" the cards as they are not pictorial. I expect I will be told to get a Rider Waite, maybe I should have, but I bought in a local shop that had only a small selection - was that my first error?

MountainGirl

I found it helpful for remembering the minors to have a numerology system. That way you only have to remember ten themes/concepts, which you can combine with the energy/theme of the four suites, instead of remembering 40 separate card meanings. For the majors, becoming familiar with the Fool's journey and they way Rachel Pollack divided them in three groups of seven (with the fool apart) helped. I haven't found a good memory aid for the court cards, though. In the end, it's really just working with the cards as often as possible and eventually it will sink in without you even noticing.

Blessings,
Mountain Girl