Learning technique using cassette recorder

WhiteWizzard

Three weeks ago I under went a major injection of enthusiasm for Tarot after down loading the card meanings from www.learntarot.com. Finally I was able to put PKT to its proper use in the compost bin. After transcribing about 25% of this information by hand daily, to commit to memory. Recently I have read out this information recording on tape. Finding this a very effective means of imbeding it into the subconscious. Having this play unobtrusively in the background , backed with Vivaldi

Kimberly

Not everyone believes that you need to memorize all the meanings as they go by-the-book to read Tarot cards... :)

Maybe if someone has some links to the intuitive reading threads they can post them! *cough*hint*cough*cough* ;)

In my personal opinion, going strictly by-the-book is a bit... limiting... I think that you should try developing your intuition before learning the standard card meanings. Again that's just my opinion though! :)

WhiteWizzard

Thanks for the advice Swallowtail

kimmee said:
Not everyone believes that you need to memorize all the meanings as they go by-the-book to read Tarot cards... :)

Maybe if someone has some links to the intuitive reading threads they can post them! *cough*hint*cough*cough* ;)

In my personal opinion, going strictly by-the-book is a bit... limiting... I think that you should try developing your intuition before learning the standard card meanings. Again that's just my opinion though! :)
Generally I was thinking of starting with a good solid foundation of the meanings, at the back of my mind to draw on. Certainly intuition is vital in selecting spacific portions of that information relative to near by cards. There is such a wide diversity within the system I was studying, providing a balanced and thorough overview of the Human condition. My personal impressions of the cards with out this , in my case would be more limted and colourless. Perhaps also seeing this as an intellectual exersize, after memorizing most of the scrabble dictionary, lol

Kimberly

What I tend to see is though... once someone has the standard meanings memorized, they may feel confined to those meanings.

At first I thought the method I'm about to describe was a bunch of BS... because I couldn't do it to save my life, but try this; put away the books (and tapes or whatever else you have) entirely. Take out the cards.

Shuffle. Feel the cards. Shuffle until it feels right, you'll know when to stop. Then, pull one card.

Look at that card. LOOK at it. Open your mind, what is the first thing you think of? what next? And then? What does the card make you feel? And then?

Have you ever done free association writing? If you have, try doing that when you draw a single card... just look at the card, put pen to paper, and let yourself go!

Just try it, but you have to try it more than once -- and you have to honestly try it and not just "do" it but actually try it. Does that make sense? *laughs* I am confusing sometimes!

Grizabella

Well, for me, learning some basic card meanings helped a lot and that gave me a springboard to go on from there to adding in my own meanings and interpretations. I think whatever works best for you is the thing you should do. Memorizing meanings and then going by those inflexibly isn't best, but having them as a basis for going on from there does work for many people.

We're so used to being "good students" and learning as though we're cramming for tests that it's hard for some of us to let go of that and just totally go with intuition in learning tarot. It was hard for me. I tried the "throw the book away" method at first and it didn't work as well. Just do whatever works best for you, but in the end, prepare to step off the cliff and let intuition take over.

WhiteWizzard

No BS systematic approach

kimmee said:
What I tend to see is though... once someone has the standard meanings memorized, they may feel confined to those meanings.

At first I thought this was a bunch of BS... because I couldn't do it to save my life, but try this; put away the books (and tapes or whatever else you have) entirely. Take out the cards.

Shuffle. Feel the cards. Shuffle until it feels right, you'll know when to stop. Then, pull one card.

Look at that card. LOOK at it. Open your mind, what is the first thing you think of? what next? And then? What does the card make you feel? And then?

Have you ever done free association writing? If you have, try doing that when you draw a single card... just look at the card, put pen to paper, and let yourself go!

Just try it, but you have to try it more than once -- and you have to honestly try it and not just "do" it but actually try it. Does that make sense? *laughs* I am confusing sometimes!
Have you ever looked at www.learntarot.com there you will see that it would be easy to absorb that information in the way it is laid out. As I have pointed out giving a wide and extensive overview. My psychic intuition with the aid of technology lead me to it. As with hand writing to illustrait my point, at school you learn the copy book standard, then develope your own style. So with tarot personally I think it worth while to know what thought has gone into them for the past 100 years or so. Other wise you could have the Devil residing next to the seven of Cups= delusional ignorance Thanks

Alta

I guess I fall more into the 'learn the basic meanings first, then develop your intuitive readings skills' camp. Otherwise, it might as well be an oracle deck. Just imo of course.

Tarotphelia

I think it's a fascinating idea. A lot of people are put off by trying to learn the basic card meanings and just give up, so they would probably benefit from this novel new method.

Intuitive meanings are ok, but some people just don't have the ability yet . Also, many times people end up coming up with the book meanings anyway , through their intuition. Some people are successful psychically reading the cards with no relation to the basic meanings, others read that way and it all comes out inaccurate and silly .

WhiteWizzard

Naturally sitters will be curious about your conclusions

Often of course people are fascinated by the cards and your conclusions. If you are able to give some explanation as to the meanings, and how various connections are made, reinforcing certain possibilities. This then creates crediblity and professionalism.

Kath

To this day I pull out a book and look up meanings if I get stuck on a card. Playing a tape of card meanings would be a good way to remember key words and phrases.

Key words can be a great jumping off point for your own intuition. As time goes by you’ll expand your interpretations, and tweak them so they work for you, but I agree with you, getting a solid base can be a good thing.

I’ve found that over time my readings have shifted to a more visual / intuitive style, but I still like my key words, and still use them a lot. I don’t hesitate to recommend good books or websites to people new to tarot :)