Learning the Thoth

Alison

Hi Everyone. I was hoping those with experience of learning The Thoth and reading Crowleys book could tell me what they have gained 'personally' from doing so. I am considering this and want to know how it has changed or affected people. Thanks. Alison

Grigori

Hey Allison,

It's hard to summarize in a little post. For me the Thoth moved tarot out of being a little hobby for doing some fortune telling and amusing my friends into being a spiritual pursuit, and a catalyst for an unforeseen mass further learning.

It motivated me to study astrology, qabalah, mythology, history, science, magick, thelema, religion and likely a lot more. I think because of scope of Crowley's own studies were so vast, the Thoth can facilitate that same breadth of study. It's lot like doing a PhD in philosophy I think.

Also it created a greater awareness in myself of making decisions for my own reasons rather than others and freedom from a variety of guilts. Plus, it is a lot of fun :D

Always Wondering

Learning the Thoth and reading Crowley's books brought me the Book of Law and Thelema. With that came much of what Grigori mentioned. I find it interesting that you ask what is gained personally because what I gained was a unique and personalized spiritual/religious interface to my exact life.

AW

auratorium

Many feel that Crowley has intentionally left gaps in the knowledge between the book and the deck.

While it is quite an educational book on Tarot, I would recommend reading Lon Milo DuQuette's book on interpreting the Thoth Tarot. It discusses the imagery on each card, versus divinitory meanings.

Kenshin Gordon

I believe he left those gaps in order to make it easier to comperhend, and to avoid conflicts between different groups of study which would eventually collide if he made it definite due to different points of view than his. A sound political, if you like, move.

guy bannik

while I'm learning the Thoth I find myself a bit stuck in the etheric language, experiencing difficulties to translate this into daily matters. So when I draw my card for the day combo and refresh my mind with Snuffin an Duquette, I find it hard to link the text to my mortal human life (where Kether and Assiah probably play their role, but disguise themselves well).
Advice?

Kenshin Gordon

guy bannik said:
I find it hard to link the text to my mortal human life (where Kether and Assiah probably play their role, but disguise themselves well).
Advice?

Kether is the Crown, the first Sephira on the tree. Every human is a Tree of Life on his own. Look at a mirror, and try beginning from a point a little bit higher than your skull to imagine the Sephira one by one, each corresponding to a different point of your body(f.e. your right hand would be Geburah, your genitals Yesod and the place you can sense Malkuth).

Assiah is the lowest of the four Kabbalistic worlds. They have their own relation in the creation process. Assiah is the material universe in which you and I live.
The hierarchy of the worlds is: Atziluth, Briah, Yetzirah and Assiah.

Isaiah 43:7 - Even every one that is called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him.

Professor X

Grigori said:
Hey Allison,

It motivated me to study astrology, qabalah, mythology, history, science, magick, thelema, religion and likely a lot more. I think because of scope of Crowley's own studies were so vast, the Thoth can facilitate that same breadth of study. It's lot like doing a PhD in philosophy I think.

WHAT HE SAID!

If someone follows up on what the Thoth presents to you and starts studying the subjects that are related to it you will become a virtual occult expert well rounded in pretty much any occult subject. You wind up knowing a lot more than just about the tarot. You pretty much wind up being to handle yourself in a debate in almost any arena. You can handle religious types just as well as you can school people who dont really know what the Tarot is all about.

One thing I have noticed is that once you learn to read with the The Thoth deck reading with pretty much any other deck becomes easy. Other decks are not as complicated and are rather elementary compared to the Thoth. You wind up increasing your psychic and divinatory greatly and get a MUCH better understanding of the tarot than the average tarot reader.

willoe

As someone who is in the beginning of their Thoth experience, I can say that even with only these few weeks of study under my belt, I'm already seeing things differently.

The first time I casually flipped through Liber 777 (or the Book of the Law, or even the Book of Thoth itself), I was bowled over by the sheer amount of things I didn't "get". It was like reading a language that you've never heard of. But, slowly, as I read and dug in deeper (and as the wonderful people here help newbies like me by explaining in small, easy-to-understand words), I find myself understanding the basics and wanting to know more.

Taking up the Thoth makes me feel like I'm playing connect-the-dots, but the more dots I connect, the bigger the picture gets. And I like that about this study. I like that once I understand how a certain facet applies, there's always more to be learned, always another layer. I like that there's a well-rounded and well thought out system. And I like to take a step back every few days and let my mind catch its breath and go over what I've learned, and how to apply it.

Basically, this is the most fun I've had in a while. That may not be spiritual or enlightening or anything, but that's my experience so far. :)

musical-pisces

I've actually had my Thoth deck for years (I orginally picked it up seven years ago because I thought the pictures were prettier than those on other decks), but I recently picked it up again as I am beginning to study Wicca. I've learned that reading tarot cards is much, much more than memorizing meanings and applying them to certain situations.

So much detail goes into any given card. It's amazing. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with the amount of information being thrown at me, but I feel determined all the same.