Lenormand... what's it all about?

HuskyChariot

OK, so I've been reading tarot and oracles for a while but I guess you can't spend as much time on this site as I do without wondering... why Lenormand?

I've looked up the history of the deck but can't quite grasp why they are so popular and seem to be in various forms similar to the tarot. I'm about to get my first version..'Mysteries of the Old Castle' thanks to the lovely Polyhymnia, simply because I can't resist a hard to find gothic deck :)

Can an experienced reader shed some light on it's structure and appeal? What is your opinion as to why it has been re-created in so many forms?

Cerulean

After 78 Tarot cards, 64 I-Ching cards, 52-54 Sibilla cards, 32-36 Lenormand cards

in old-fashioned and modern sets are bright enticements to card fans here.

From what I've seen historically, the late 1700s through 1890s had a rich heritage of oracular decks, playing card decks, learning games for children and calling cards for ladies, gents and tradesmen in European regions. Engraved and woodcut cards included pretty, decorative and symbolic tarot sets as playing cards, tarot as an esoteric hermetic symbol sets, different playing cards, lottery and parlour fortune-telling games for adults in Continental regions such as France, Germany and Italy and other areas. While there are some Eastern-based decks--say Hana Fuda or Mah Joong cards--they aren't quite as close in heritage to the European games that most folks here study.

LeNormand and cartomancy decks (for instance sybilla or salon cards) are a historical subset of fortune-telling cards that share the time frame of tarot development--and the sets of 32-36 or 52-54 cards can include playing card structures, pretty decorative touches as in transformation cards and even suggestive rhymes on how to read the cards.

Fans here, including myself, have slowly discovered over time and enjoyment of cartomancy history and exploration that we can sometimes see similarities among the different families of cards (tarots, sybil/fortune cards, Lenormand) that there are some really interesting 'shared' touches--I might find a meaning and association that the Queen of Spades and Queen of Swords in a sibilla/parlor fortune deck/tarot/LeNormand has a similar meaning of a 'widow'...and that might be an attribution from a deck that is historically from the early 19th century or 21st century...but that's only a glimpse among certain subsets of cards that might be playing card/tarot from an author called Etteilla in the 18th and 19th century or Papus of the 19th century or Waite of the 20th century...and I may find the LeNormand deck or a cartomancy deck that mirrors or has similar meaning.

My fascination is that LeNormand herself and the associated deck has this rich and curious folklore. Sometimes that there is a more fantastic spin of colorful threads and fascinating foggy tapestry than the actual history...she was one of the few fortune-tellers of her time that writes...but her hints of cartomancy is very scarce and short on actual details.

Anyway, fans here like decks and comparing symbols and history in card sets. Me included!

A recurrent 'craze' for tracing different heritage and modern LeNormand style decks by those here might be because of those connections to a joyful rediscovery of old-fashioned sibyl or parlour games for cartomancy fans. It is another way to have and hold European regional cards.

That a bit of a glimpse...if I think of anything more and others can give words to their fascination, I'm certain people will reply. It took me a bit of time to reflect and I might have to edit the ideas noted here or simplify my points later. I did my best to give some ideas a bit of air! Hopefully I didn't puff up or express them a little too obscurely on a later hour than usual...

Cerulean

KariRoad

Major Insight: Read with a full 36 card spread. It's the best way to know the deck.

Chronata

I think they have become really popular at the moment, because like Tarot, they have their own system of symbols, that doesn't change all that much from Lenormand deck to Lenormand deck.

And also like Tarot, those symbols have that ability to be interpreted by different artists in uniquely different ways!

I know that as an artist, I was drawn to the Lenormand as a way to have fun. (Also...quite a few less symbols to draw than the tarot!)

And they have that old fashioned oracle fortune telling feeling about them. They are a joy to read, because on the surface they can be easily interpreted with simple symbolism. But underneath there is a whole new complexity in reading style, just like in the tarot.

HuskyChariot

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I have done some further research and apparently the positions and combinations of the cards play a central and complex role in interpretation. More so than the tarot it would seem. I mean I know combinations of tarot cards in a spread can tell a story or reinforce one another but it sems like reading with a Lenormand is like developing a new style?

HuskyChariot

Can anyone advise of an ideal first Lenormand for someone wanting to learn the system.. like RTWS good for a Tarot beginner?

Cerulean

For me, it depends on the quuestioner/student

As the 36 to 40 card Hombre deck with Latin-suited and South American roots has similarities, but to me
differs from a German or French deck.

I will have to think if English sources with rhymes or just playing card inserts worked best...for me.

Cerulean

ladybird

Hi, I wanted to bump this thread because I'm interested to see more input from people about what Lenormand deck is nice for a first time reader to learn with.

Perhaps this is a personal preference so how about which Lenormand is an absolute keeper in your collection if you were to only own one? (or maybe two? LOL!)

Nina*

Hi, I wanted to bump this thread because I'm interested to see more input from people about what Lenormand deck is nice for a first time reader to learn with.

Perhaps this is a personal preference so how about which Lenormand is an absolute keeper in your collection if you were to only own one? (or maybe two? LOL!)

Postmark Lenormand by Melissa Hill and Alice in Wonderland Lenormand (to be found on Etsy). And I expect the new Original Lenormand to become a firm favorite once I get it on the UK Tarot Conf.

But also the Dust Bunny Lenormand, Le Vieux Jours, Lilac Twilight and Mysteries of the Old Castle are all wonderful.

WolfyJames

Personally I'd go for two decks.

First an historical deck that pleases me, and there are quite a few: the Pianik Vienna, any of the Dondorf reproductions like the French Cartomancy by Lo Scarabeo, the Carta Mundi with the poems, the Blue Owl, the Iris Verlag, etc.

After that I'd pick a modern rendition of my liking: Mystical Lenormand, Gypsy LeNormand Oracle, Britta Kienle, Chronata's Minute Lenormand, Les Vieux Jours, Mysteries of Old Castle, etc.

As for the absolute keeper for me, this one is really hard.